How often do you compete?

QueenT

Visit site
My daughter is a showjumper, and her 9 yo horse is sensitive to his sorrounding. In training every week with a pro they do 115-120 courses, but at shows he almost always has a stop on a random fence, even at 100, only to clear it like nothing happened the moment after. Pro says he is not pulling enough at the fences and that she needs to show more frequently at lower levels, but we have already been out two weekends in a row, and usually have a ‘rule’ to show max every other weekend. A higher show frequency makes sense from a desensitizing perspective, but I’m worried about burnout… there is zero stress re loading and travelling, so no problem there. I’ve also considered a sports psychology coach for my daughter, not cheap, but others have recommended it based on their own experience

Squeak

Visit site
I'd probably give it a go and see how you get on. I often compete horses three weeks on and then 2 or 3 weeks off and often get the better results on the third week.

Could you maybe cut down on the jumping training for period where you do more competing if that's temporarily not helping resolve the issue? Or alternatively could the trainer train at the show instead? Either way it might just help to reduce the amount of jumping the horse is doing to help prevent it getting stale.

Muddywellies

Visit site
Not a showjumper myself but my best friend was a sjer and I had a horse on a yard with a top sjer. What I was surprised to learn was just how little the horses were jumped at home. They barely jumped, and just had a tune up a couple of days before a show. So maybe for a few months you could compete a little more (or go out to arena hire) and jump less at home?

humblepie

Visit site
Could you go to a two day show or to the same venue two days in a row to get a quick follow up in? Or do they have training shows or clear round type shows you could go to, so not competitive as such but schooling off site?

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I don't compete to your daughters level but during spring/ summer and into the autumn I'm out most weekends. I do vary things though so we compete stressage, sj, xc ,ODE , eventer trials and showing. Give it a go for a few weekends in a row. You will soon know if its not working.

Leandy

Visit site
I don't think the more frequent competition suggestion is for ever, just until the horse is completely comfortable in the competition environment. If that is the biggest challenge at the moment I would reduce, or even stop, jumping at home to compensate for more out and about.