How often do you feed carrots/veg?

dreambigpony

Visit site
Just wondered how often you feed carrots and apples etc. Do you give it as a treat or in their everyday feed? What makes you feed it regularly/not often?

AmieeT

Visit site
More often during the winter when I'm feeding hard food. I'll buy a sack of carrots and he'll have a couple a day cutup in his feed. The odd ooccasion he'll get half an apple (I take one to work, sometimes forget so I'll have half at the yard and give him the rest!).

Other than apples in the summer, he really doesn't get anything else. Atm no treats at all (had a visitor today so let it go for the morning!) because he's fatter than I'd like.

catroo

Visit site
Pretty much daily all year round and all types. My lot don't generally get feed so I scatter fruit and veg around the field and in the hedgerow to keep life interesting.

I've tried most types of fruit and veg, bananas are a herd favourite with some preferring the soft inside and others the skin. One of them loves kiwis (special occasions only and a fantastic bribe as he will do anything for one). They occasionally get a whole watermelon, very entertaining as only one has worked out how to break in so they all wait for him to split it open, he then takes a wedge and leaves them to it.

Pie's mum

Visit site
He only gets carrots and apples if we have them at home and they are looking a bit tired. This time of year I get marched to the blackberry patch in the field and I have to pick them for him so the precious little darling doesn't prickle his lips! Never mind me getting scratched and stung by nettles!!

Kezzabell2

Visit site
My mare get a few bits of carrot a day, because she has her medicine in it, so the others get a bit of carrot too, but they get about a carrot each and that's it!

Kati*89

Visit site
Everyday, carrots and apples in breakfast and dinner- his owner has always done it so I do, although I have cut him down a bit to avoid too many sugars..don't know it makes much difference to him though

Sleipnir

Visit site
Mostly daily, unless there is nothing local in season (early spring/early summer), adding a variety of veggies and apples to usual feed. When nothing is in season locally, there's always bananas! My gelding loves them, but I don't give him more than two a day.

Annagain

Visit site
Mine get the peelings (carrot, swede, parsnips, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage) from Sunday dinner (when my mum or I make it) in their feed. They usually last about 3 days and get them about every fortnight or twice every three weeks. They also get dodgy apples, pears and bananas from my work colleagues. I regularly walk into work to find a load of rotting fruit on my desk! There's usually one a day of something, (more often than not bananas) which they share.

flaxen

Visit site
Every day as I use one to catch her as a reward. This works as she was a pony that was impossible to catch even with a bucket of food and had to be run into a stable to be caught. She now comes to me to be caught although her breeder cant get near her- I suspect she may still be bad for strangers.

acorn92x

Visit site
I give them daily in her breakfast and dinner. She only has one in each feed and I only every feed either carrots or a couple of chunks of swede as I like to keep sugars to a bare minimum!

Embo

Visit site
One or two carrots per day for carrot stretches after riding (or other veg/fruit for this purpose, sometimes a few herbal treats instead).

I don't feed anything just because. Treats and snacks make B pushy and obnoxious so don't tend to treat him.

xgemmax

Visit site
Hardly ever, only really if someone gives them to me which is rarely. He does have a swede and carrot at Christmas as his Christmas dinner though

applecart14

Visit site
Just wondered how often you feed carrots and apples etc. Do you give it as a treat or in their everyday feed? What makes you feed it regularly/not often?

I feed at least four medium sized carrots split between two feeds and an apple nearly every day. I remember the speedy beet advert where it stated that there was more sugar in one medium sized carrot than in a whole scoop of speedy beet, so you have to be careful of sugar levels, but to be honest its never effected my horse.

I honestly think that giving carrots is very beneficial to a horse because of the nutrients and vitamins they provide.

My horse loves pitted dates, peaches and bananas. He doesn't like turnips or swedes very much. He has probably half a packet of mints or four or five pieces of liquorice a day as treats too.

He never bites or nips, although he does sometimes nudge you, but I've taught him a 'polite' nudge! :)

9tails

Visit site
Daily. A carrot and an apple in dinner, I get excellent apples from work that look like Sleeping Beauty's apples. When loganberries are in season, she gets them too. Same with blackberries.

Bernster

Visit site
Hardly ever, maybe the occasional apple or banana if it's going off at home, which I put on the floor or feed bucket. I don't do treats or hand feed with F as he has a tendency to be mouthy and forgets his manners when food is concerned!

Enfys

Visit site
Never carrots. Apples when they are in season, they don't like pears, shame because we have masses.

Corn, I grow it for them and just rip up the entire plant, they like that, but absolutely LOVE sunflowers. I grow lots of them too and feed them the whole thing.

McFluff

Visit site
Every time they are worked as a reward after (usually carrots, sometimes apples, pears or bananas) - they don't get hard food and they are both a good weight (I wouldn't do this if they were overweight). Neither react to this, but one of my friends couldn't give her horse carrots as they made him completely loopy.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site

every horse has carrots in their feeds x 2 a day between 3 - 7 carrot's, they are an optional extra and all the part livery owners want them in their horses feed so they are not treats

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
Every day as they don't have any feed but they come over to the house for their daily carrots and apples this gives me a chance to check them over without having to hunt for them out the fields. It's a habit I have encouraged to save my legs!!