How often do you get saddle fit checked.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Not often enough.

I had a fitter out last year who didn’t even watch me ride and charged £70.

I’m thinking of investing in something like a pro lite to help keep it balanced as her weight fluctuates.

I'd recommend the much better Mattes correction system with a sheepskin lining :)

Many people have their saddles checked once a year maybe a bit more, a significant minority, after they purchase one from me, never have them checked, then a good chunk have it looked at every six months. A few have it checked every three months, but not many.

If you were a pro rider with a big barn, and especially if sponsored, you'd probably have a fitter every 6 weeks to look, discuss, and adjust those that need it, so nothing gets missed. Horses can change really quickly and problems can escalate very quickly. Ideal to know the key points to check yourself to know when an adjustment might be needed because no horse changes on a 6 monthly schedule. Change creeps up slowly and so many people have no idea that not being able to keep your leg underneath you, or getting lower back pain, may well be from the saddle being out of balance.

SpringArising

Visit site
When I buy a new saddle. Other than that, only if I think there's a problem.

Saddle fitters are so variable - even the highly recommended ones - that I'm cynical. I don't use 'back' people either. I'd be interested to ever hear a diagnosis that isn't 'the pelvis was out, but don't worry, it's back in place now!' :rolleyes:

No expense is spared when it comes to vets and dentists though.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I'd be interested to ever hear a diagnosis that isn't 'the pelvis was out, but don't worry, it's back in place now!' :rolleyes:

Ha ha, yeah; that's one of my favourites - it'd take tractor to move a horse's pelvis.......It also amazes me that people don't seem to know how to check for a sore back themselves (or that it is possible to make any horse appear sore - something that I've seen "back people" do in order to sell their services).

Tarragon

Visit site
I am someone who can normally tell if the saddle isn't right but then have to get a professional out to suggest the solution. So my answer is normally about once a year but it is triggered by me feeling that it needs doing for one of my two ponies and then I get the other one checked at the same time.

Edited to add that I use Saddle Company saddles which are adjustable and work on the principle of a fitting saddle and a saddle cloth that is really there to keep the saddle clean.

sbloom

Ha ha, yeah; that's one of my favourites - it'd take tractor to move a horse's pelvis.......It also amazes me that people don't seem to know how to check for a sore back themselves (or that it is possible to make any horse appear sore - something that I've seen "back people" do in order to sell their services).

It's a lazy short hand that a lot of professionals use, or a variation of. However the ischial crests can be unlevel, the hips can be statically unlevel, or the pelvis can drop and roll more to one side when in work. I suspect all those can at times be covered by the expression "the pelvis is out".

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
It's a lazy short hand that a lot of professionals use, or a variation of. However the ischial crests can be unlevel, the hips can be statically unlevel, or the pelvis can drop and roll more to one side when in work. I suspect all those can at times be covered by the expression "the pelvis is out".

Possibly, but what about "I've put the pelvis back in"? How's that work?

sbloom

Again a short hand, if being used by someone who IS effective. They have corrected the issue as far as they can skeletally is what I imagine they meant. I know it's a nightmare when wordins is nonsense, but I think you all know what they mean, and some WILL be effective in this work. If your horse is no better, then move on a use someone else, but don't punish them simply for poor use of language (though in many circles there is a move to stop the use of this kind of expression).

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I've no doubt that physiotherapy and chiropractic are very useful therapies, but I also think there is a lot of nonsense spouted by less ethical practitioners. I lost my faith in the "back man" when one of them "put a mare's pelvis back in". She was afterwards diagnosed with a broken pelvis - how come he didn't spot that?