How often do you have lessons?

FlyingCircus

Visit site
Just out of curiousity :)
Had lessons as a 4yr old - 12yr old, though these were just "sit up and canter to the back of the ride!" kinda deals. Then from 12 I had loan ponies and no lessons...Now started having weekly lessons again on my own horse and my goodness, the difference is ridiculous in only 3 lessons!

LHIS

Visit site
2-3 a week for me usually, just because I'm at a stage where I need consistency to get me onto the next stage with my pony. Sadly not riding at the moment at all following an operation but hoping to be back in the saddle just before Christmas.
Once I'm a bit more established I hope to have 1-2 a week depending on what I need to work on (there's always something :( )

Visit site
I haven't had a lesson since early 1998 when I was 11yo. I had weekly lessons from 4 or 5yo uptil then. I probably should go and get some lessons again as I tip forwards, ride in a hunting seat and cant keep my legs still to save myself these days - what riding racehorses does to you!

I figured my riding cant be that bad as I still win a lot in the show ring on beasts I have either broken and schooled or reschooled from racing. They don't complain, go sweetly and lightly off the leg and are generally happy beasties.

SecretAgentBilly

Visit site
I generally aim for once a week - i really enjoy having lessons and especially when jumping it's invaluable having someone on the ground! I also think it's amazing how differently I can ride after just having a few consistently, if I could I would have more per week but it just gets a bit too expensive.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I've got two horses in full work. I tend to have a lesson a week on my main horse and my other one gets one when a space comes up last minute or something. So probably 6 lessons a month minimum.

rachk89

Visit site
Once or twice a month if I can. Kind of sticking to only a couple of instructors now who give me confidence as it's easily ruined right now but getting better. I used to get a lesson once a week when I didn't have a horse but it's more difficult to afford it when you own one haha.

Orca

Visit site
From six or seven onwards, until my late teens I had an unquantifiable number - one of my parents was an instructor.

I've had a break from riding, so once my mare is broken I'll return to lessons. Hopefully once a week to start with, then maybe fortnightly, then probably maintained at monthly, depending on how we do :). I like schooling though and I'm always keen to get things right so I'd happily have loads of lessons for the rest of my riding life (with the right instructor).

kathantoinette

Visit site
At the moment (winter) once a fortnight if I can depending on fitting in with work etc. I alternate jump and flat lessons during the competing season so will have a lesson weekly then if time permits.

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
I have a lesson with my flatwork instructor once a week and with my jump instructor once every 4-6 weeks.

I have my flat lessons so religiously because lessons is when i enjoy schooling the most, i love that feeling you get at the end of a lesson when you have worked brilliantly. I ride my best when on my lessons. It's kind of addictive :)

its_noodles

Visit site
I have lessons every other week. I have to drive for an hour each way to get there, so I have two lessons back to back and it works very well...
:)

Starzaan

Visit site
Two a week. One at work on livery horses which is a combination of a lesson for us and a 'tune up' for them, and one with my boss on my pony.

skint1

Visit site
I was having one lesson a week with my boy just in the school at my yard. The school is quite small for a big horse like him and the footing is a bit deep in places, as autumn/ winter set in I found he was stiff (he has arthritis) and it seemed very hard work for him and he didn't even want to go in there and I felt bad making him so I will start again in Spring.

That said, I never really had formal lessons and even for the couple of months I had them I realised there were so many subtleties to riding that I just didn't know, it was a real education and I loved my instructor so I will look forward to picking them up again

nato

Visit site
About twice a month. I find I don't get enough time to actually practice what I've learned if I do any more than that.

Enfys

Visit site
I haven't had a proper 'paid for' lesson for about 25 years :(
Any English trainer would probably take one look at me and put me straight back on the lunge, I wouldn't waste their time.

Equi

Visit site
I was similar to you, and only started having proper lessons again this year. I now part loan and have only had one, but have one booked for thursday which i'm hoping happens (weather) but im very excited for it.

acorn92x

Visit site
Once a week religiously. My girl is still young and learning and the consistency has helped us tremendously. I honestly don't know how people remain focused without lessons - I take my hat off to you lol! :D

Embo

Visit site
...I honestly don't know how people remain focused without lessons - I take my hat off to you lol!

This! I would have a lesson every day if I could!!

At the moment, averaging once per fortnight. I wish it were more, but diary and funding dictate... I hope to be able to fit more in in the new year.

muddy_grey

www.*******.com
I have been having every other week for the past 8 months or so (jumping with some flat thrown in), but new YM is a lot cheaper so I am now having her on the off weeks. Only had 3 flat work lessons so far, and am really enjoying it. Other instructor has noticed a difference too which is great and as YM used train with instructor they really compliment each other. In an ideal world I would love to have at least 2 lessons a week as I really enjoy them and feel a real improvement, but the money and time is not available at the mo.

monte1

Visit site
not as often as i would like, been riding since about age 5, taking on all sorts, unbroken ponies and everyones diffcult throwaways as that was all I could afford ;-)
I read lots of books but never had any formal lessons till was in my early twenties and when I did it changed my riding totally, 27 years on (now 47!!) I have bought a young horse again and still feel i have lots to learn and need eyes on the ground to help us progress, I manage to get a lesson about once a month sometimes not as often .. I think I prefer to have one lesson with a really good trainer and try to take lots of advice and tips away and do my "homework" in between than to plug away with a lesson every week and not see as much progress, ( if you see what i mean?)

having said that i would love to go to my current trainer for a couple of weeks bootcamp if i could afford it ;-)

Last edited:

Wheels

Visit site
About every 6 to 8 weeks depending mine and instructors diary but then I have a lesson one evening and then the following day, we work on everything over the two lessons, lunging, classical in hand, flatwork, jumping, sometimes hire a XC course or something like that.

Stockers

Visit site
I try to aim for one a week but invariably work/child/illness/life gets in teh way so if I have two a month I'm doing well.

When I first had the orange job as an unruly youngster I had one a week - boy did I need it.

SallyBatty

Visit site
i now have a flat lesson every 4 weeks and wish I could have them more often as I am loving improving my way of riding and teaching my 25 year old mare a better way of going that will hopefully prolong her ridden life. She is certainly a lot more supple now and off her forehand from all the lateral work we have been doing and can now even do a bit of collection.

We also join in a jumping clinic usually once a month.

Lanky Loll

Visit site
About one a week at the moment with baby horse and not great facilities at home, sometimes its the only time that week he gets ridden :O
My older horse that's currently on a sick note I used to have 1 or 2 a month depending on what we were doing and what clinics our RC were running - it would be more in the run up to a competition or if an opportunity to have a lesson at a xc course or something unusual came up.

simple_things

Visit site
I'm away competing most weekends (showjumping) I normally have a showjumping lesson once a fortnight or if I have a big competition coming up will always have a lesson before it(tend to find I have more jumping lessons thru summer!) I have started having dressage lessons once a week now as well have been doing this for a few months now and it's helped a great deal with our showjumping :D