How often do you jump your 'green' horse?

Amaretto

Visit site
As above really?

Mine's 6 and learning all about it, through no fault of his own (just crocked Mum, who has been unable to crack on until now).

He's doing grids (inc bounces and harder stuff), fillers, 80cm courses, practising related distances. Still a bit spooky ie jumping very big if concerned, but he's brave and very rarely stops - then if he does, it's a glide past because I'm not organised. :-o

Training wise, what would you consider a suitable plan? I've done all this before with an ex-racehorse and he was very forgiving in hindsight, bless him. I want to do it 'properly' this time, lol!

Thanks!

NicoleS_007

Visit site
I jump my 4yr once sometimes twice a week. Shes just doing little planks/fillers, jumped a max of about 80cm atm and grid work. I dont really plan when or what im doing jumping wise as it just depends on if the jump arena (with fillers) is free or if were stuck with the small arena with 2-3 jumps. I like to work on a two week rota of jump twice one week then once the next week, I think it works quite well with my mare :)

sj_xc_hannah_

Visit site
I've got a fairly green 5yo who is in a similar situation as yours. He has quite a weak back/back end at the moment so vet recommended to jump no more than twice a week (which I have hardly ever done anyway!) and do lots of walking out. So generally for mine we do one day of a jumping exercise/gridwork (at home) and one day of courses (competition/lesson/home), but sometimes we'll only do one. I don't really think it's necessary to do grid work more than once every two weeks, but obviously you tailor everything to the horse. :) So I think it depends on what you think, and also how developed they are physically.