How often do you muck out??

thehorses2013

Visit site
How often do you muck out?, I muck out on a daily basis, i could no way go home & relax knowing my boys are still standing & laying in their own poo & wee its disgusting or maybe its just me?! After breakfast out the stables they go turned out i start my mucking out, saw a lady today who said i was mad to muck out daily she said she does hers twice a week, She said hers are in everynight so are mine unless very hot ????

Fides

Visit site
Does she mean she semi deep litters? As in just skips out then does a full muck out twice a week.

lhotse

Visit site
Maybe she meant a full muck out rather than just removing the poo. My mare is on shavings and I remove the wet twice a week, She is always on a dry bed.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Every day and also remove droppings as and when I spot one including last thing at night. I can't imagine how leaving them 5 days a week could possibly save time! How disgusting. Poor horses. I bet they stink.

Dreamer515

Visit site
if they are in 24/7 then i would muck out twice a day. if only in at night then muck out once a day. the lady at your yard may deep litter? personally im not a fan of this but each to their own. i normally muck out while mine is eating breakfast and by time im finished he is ready to go out. takes not even 20 mins to do him and that is having to walk him quite a far way to his field!

Moomin1

Visit site
if they are in 24/7 then i would muck out twice a day. if only in at night then muck out once a day. the lady at your yard may deep litter? personally im not a fan of this but each to their own. i normally muck out while mine is eating breakfast and by time im finished he is ready to go out. takes not even 20 mins to do him and that is having to walk him quite a far way to his field!

You still need to muck out daily with deep litter. Mine is on deep litter all winter, and she gets mucked out once per day if only in at night and twice if she's in all day/night.

tinap

Visit site
Full muck out every morning whilst they're in overnight. Bed left up to try all day then bedded back down just before in time x

Polar Bear9

Visit site
Skip out in morning before they go out then full muck out every evening when in at night. If deep littering skip out every day and a full clean once or twice a week. Unless this is what she meant she really should do doing it more often or her horses will be getting problems

maletto

Visit site
she must be talking about deep litter!

mines on part livery now but when diy, I'd skip out once a day and "muck out" once a week, but everyone's interpretation of "muck out" vs "skip out" is going to be different

thehorses2013

Visit site
She must of meant deep litter surely ive heard she has alot of horses, sorry i didnt think of deep littering so i was just thinking what! but this must be the case as no one would leave them that long surely not

Boulty

Visit site
During winter daily but in summer when out 24/7 and just coming in to be groomed and ridden then I'll skip out every few days and turn the bedding over every few weeks. If on box rest I'd be skipping out once a day in addition to a full muckout

Dizzy socks

Visit site
At the RDA I volunteered at, they were only mucked out 2 or 3 times a week.
And they were in most of the time, out some days, but never all day or nights.

It was pretty shocking.

merlin12

Visit site
I prefer to deep litter and muck out once a week, but droppings are removed as soon as I see them. You would find my horses beds clean and fresh.Droppings would never be left.If a horse was on box rest I would possibly remove wet each day unless it would cause to much disturbance to the horse. I would always top up with new bedding.

niagaraduval

Visit site
I pick all the poos and the wet out 3 or 4 times a day when they are in as they seem to like to walk about in it. I empty the stables and disinfect them once a week though.

diamonddogs

Visit site
Mine's on chopped straw - best thing I ever did! I went down from two barrows a day to two a week, and 2-3 bales a week instead of six straw. When she was on straw I'd muck out every morning and leave the bed up to dry out the floor.

I poo pick every day and keep an eye on the wet, because she's a horse that likes to move her bed around (yes, she still tries even though it's a massive effort for little reward!). If it's bad I'll take it out and top up with clean, so probably 2-3 times a week, which includes a good bottoming once a week.

She's on box rest at the moment with an abscess, and her bed's lovely and clean. And the floor's dry most of the time, which is one less thing to worry about!

PolarSkye

Visit site
I'm thinking the woman in question deep litters . . . however, my YO's ponies are deep littered and still get mucked out (as in poo and any obvious wee on the surface removed) every day (once a day).

Me? If the blighter is on box rest (like now) he gets fully mucked out twice a day with clean bedding added after the afternoon muck out. If he is out in the field during the day (which he is every day unless he is poorly or there is significant snowfall), I muck him out in the morning (full muck out), leave the bed up to let the floor dry and then relay the bed in the afternoon - he gets fresh bedding added (he is on straw) roughly every other day.

P

glinda

Visit site
Mine are on aubiose and in all night- I skip out after they go out every morning and then again at teatime and again about midnight every day and I take all the wet out once or twice per week (and add new bale of aubiose) depending on the horse- my beds are lovely and clean and dry (aubiose is great stuff)

nikkimariet

Visit site
All wet and poo taken out every morning.

They are skipped out as necessary once they come in between 2.30-3.30, and we do a final check/skip between 8.30-10.

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
Everyday when my horse is stabled at night. I have seen horses left for up to 4 days without deep littering. IMO if you can't make provisions for daily care of a horse you shouldn't have one.

sarahann1

Visit site
Everyday, if they are in on box rest, twice a day. I'm not keen on deep littering, mainly because I *hate* the big clean out that needs to be done every few months!

WandaMare

Visit site
I muck out each day and skip out the poos whenever I can if they are standing in.

One of my neighbours told me she only mucked out 2 or 3 days a week and if she was tired it could be just at weekends! I don't think she was talking about deep littering either because she said she found it enough to feed them, put hay in and topped up the water. I couldn't cope with leaving everything till the weekend, it must get disgusting!

only_me

Visit site
Bill's bed is deep litter so I only ever take droppings out (if I can find them) twice a day and every so often take a layer of wet out, if he is in his yard/stable.

Once a year I do take all wet out, usually when he is out on his hols.

At the moment, he lives out 24/7 with access to his yard and stable (with his donkeys) so I would lift droppings from yard maybe once or twice a week, and sweep his yard. I also never poo pick his field, as it is roughly 7 acres on a steep hill - instead we just harrow at some point in year :)

I will point out his feet are in excellent condition, bed is clean, dry and drains well. But as he prefers to be in his yard than stable when he is in, more droppings are in yard which would he swept daily and droppings picked up twice a day.

Last edited:

Dumbo

Visit site
I muck out 24 stables daily.
Muck out in the morning and a skip out in the evening if they've been in all day.