How often do you review how much your horse costs?

Princess16

Visit site
Yep, all the time. I check prices of basics, look for end of season clear out hay, buy wormers in bulk, and 'tart' round for everything. I have eleven so making sure I get the best deal means I keep these lot on probably what someone would spend on to or three. I save on vets fees by having students gain experience on them and I would say I only pay full price for the farrier. Rugs are bought out of season, or FGS, last seasons colours, all tack unless its something special is second hand but best quality.
There is no virtue in spending more than you have to.

Wow 11 horses I admire how you cope!

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
Mine are relatively cheap to keep as they are all good doers and I have my own land. They have hay over winter, feet trimmed every eight weeks and wormed regularly. I have five but three are minis. They bring me a lot of happiness so are worth every penny.

GemG

Visit site
Like some others... Never!

Think of all those holidays, nice clean new clothes, beauticians, hair done....

..nah wouldn't change a thing, prefer having the horses!

tabithakat64

Visit site
My two (cob & retired pony in mid 20's) have cost me £1440, that's DIY with job service, all hay, feed, bedding (wood pellets) wormer and farrier costs for the last 5 months.
Which I don't think is too bad really considering that covers most of the winter, nearly all my busy time at work and holiday cover also.

The only thing they've had in addition to that is one rug for the pony which was £45.

It doesn't include insurance though or the money put by for routine vet/teeth/back/tack though. Which works out at roughly £510. The routine checks usually get done in the spring, summer, autumn, when I'm almost spending nothing on hay & feed which balances it out.

Last edited:

B&J

Visit site
My husband cornered me last night about it funnily enough when he came up yard to find both neds wearing new matching rugs and a newly delivered girth (fatal error on my part for not putting old ripped ones on before he got there!). I started adding it up - I stopped counting at £1200 a month (2 x diy) and decided to never ever ever ever again even attempt to add it up. That was excluding the £1500 of new tack and vet bill this month.... just smiled sweetly at husband, went for the diversion tactic and offered to buy him some new fishing reels....

ljohnsonsj

Visit site
Never, they get what they need and extras,and look amazing for it :) they are my whole life, I would never add it all up. 1) It would scare me 2) Because I am happy with everything the way it is :)

D66

Visit site
When the subject comes up I mention joining a gym if I don't have horses ........and OH could come as well. We keep the horses at home so if they are not eating the grass some-one would have to mow it. Of course we could sell up, live in a smaller house and have a holiday home - but that's just two lots of housework. :( I'd rather keep mucking out. :D

I don't think we are extravagant, I certainly don't have an expensive rug habit (though I do like to have two heavyweights each in case they get soaked).

Greylegs

Visit site
I think about it now and then, then turn over and go back to sleep!!! I run mine on as tight a budget as possible, but if he needs (and I mean REALLY needs) something, then he gets it.

xgemmax

Visit site
I added up what I spend in a year once.. Never again! Far too much but they get what they need and I don't skimp on hay/feed. I have them on wood pellets as they are cheaper but a lot quicker to muck out so that's a win win!

Visit site
I did when I first started having a horse, but got a bit scared after that. Had horses now over 30 years so probably could have bought a flat in London by now. I have cut down on unnecessary things like supplements as I don't find they have worked, and don't buy extra rugs that will sit in a cupboard. They have vets bills paid,feet, any food and bedding necessary for their wellbeing.

muckypony

Visit site
No, I think I would have a heart attack!

I have a rough idea of what gets spent, that's enough.

I am on DIY, they get whatever they need (farrier, vet, rugs etc) but I don't have anything 'flash'. My clothes are about 10 years old, mostly ripped! But their rugs are, of course, immaculate!

I won't change anything I have because of financial reasons, I'm probably using the cheapest good stuff I could get anyway!

fabscd

Visit site
I don't earn enough to not need to know! (or maybe i have too many horses to not need to know!) After a few months in my overdraft, i decided i needed to know where the money was going. I should be able to live within my means, but had a few big bills that meant i needed to tighten things up a bit for a while. I would also be a lot better off financially without the horses...i'd also be rather miserable so i guess i'll just have to live with a tight belt!

Dizzle

Visit site
Yes.

I got rid of my TB and bought a New Forest pony who I can now afford to have on full livery for the same money I was spending having a TB on DIY! She is superb, pulled her shoes of 12 months ago when I got pregnant and so far don't see the need to have them put back on, as she is currently stabled over night I haven't rugged her at all this winter, no hard feed, no supplements, my only luxury (apart from full livery!) is paying the yard to exercise her twice a week!

IF we were in a situation that I had to curtail my pony spending I know that I could easily have her in a field with no facilities for peanuts.

As she is 13.2hh she will also double as my son's lead rein pony when he starts riding :D basically two for the price of one.

supsup

Visit site
I think about it every three months or so. I have this app on my phone that allows you to set budgets and keeps track of your expenses. Since I can afford my current horsey lifestyle, I pretty much set the budget to whatever I think I'll spend, but it's still interesting to realize when you spend money on the horse (as you'll have to tag the expense as horse-related when you enter it), and what things are costing you the most.
Turns out my horsey upkeep is actually quite low (DIY grass livery, good doer, shod only in summer), but what I really spend much more money on than I thought is weekly lessons and horsey weekends away in the summer (clinics, competitions, fun rides etc., including diesel cost). I could easily slash my horse expenses in half (or less) by simply not going anywhere and stopping my lessons. But what would be the fun in that?

alsxx

Visit site
I keep a spreadsheet of all my outgoings, I plan everything at the beginning of the month so I know what I'm left with. It's sectioned out, so a section for the house, car/transport, horse, credit cards, other shopping etc. It's useful as it gives me a breakdown each month on what I have spent on what, and also totals up annually as well.

For my horse section, I have a line for each of their insurance policies, vet costs, hard feed/bedding costs, rent costs, forage, and other costs. It's actually really useful as I know how much I spend each month and each year on the 'basics' of keeping them, but also the luxuries: lessons, buying things - and can see where I can easily make savings. I find it really useful as I know how much I spend annually, but I also know how much I can shave off if I need to.

Meems

Visit site
My head is firmly buried in the sand when it comes to how much my horse costs me each month. She is on grass livery and I took her back shoes off last year, so I try and save money where I can. Also she's a good doer which helps with feed/hay bills.

Visit site
I try not to but I think I am going to start having to. He's cost me a fortune this winter, even though we are on the cheapest livery we have ever been on. I have spent a lot of money on hunting and also competing my other horse. It should be a bit cheaper over the summer again with them living out 24/7 again and not having to buy so much feed but I will be paying more competition and transport fees for my other horse instead of Hunt caps. I'm not too bothered though as my horses are looked after like royalty and never want for anything, even if it does leave me a bit short of money - at least they are happy! :)