How often do you scrub your horses feed/water bucket?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Water and feed buckets daily.

I use 3 x 100l black bins side by side for the field, they go green inside pretty quickly in this weather. I allow them to run fairly low about twice a week, then scrub them out and refresh. The waste water gets used on the garden.

Pippity

Visit site
Feed bucket, once a week. (She only gets dry chop, so doesn't really get dirty.)
Automatic waterer gets emptied and scrubbed every day, because she always drops her hay in it so it rapidly gets revolting.

ponybutler

New User
Visit site
Bit late to this par-tay, but...I worked at the top TB track (Woodbine) in Toronto when I was just past being a Pony Club rebel; working for a good stable, I quickly got up to snuff with excellent stable management, as a groom. Every water and feed bucket scrubbed every day, and just as an aside, we had an old 'wringer washer' and did light saddle clothes and some bandages every day, even through the winter brrr. When I had a small boarding stable a few years later, I rinsed out buckets and feed tubs as needed a few x a week. More recently, with 3 equines at my own farm, all stuff cleaned every day. Now I board two out, and on the 3-4 days a week I'm there I wash out water buckets when I'm there (sometimes use bit of dish soap) as well as feed buckets as both beasties get a wet meal; when the flies are out in the summer, I wash the feed stuff asap so those dratted insects don't have a convention! The barn owner is a friend, and chores have been a bit rushed since she had her first child in January, so I try to keep my gals stuff extra clean when I can...I'm much more of a slob when I'm at home, although hubby was a line cook while at uni, and keeps things immaculate!

hock

Visit site
I cleaned out the pfeed buckets I took to regionals 🤷‍♀️🤣. But tbh they’re always spotlessly licked clean. We have automatic waters in fields and stables but currently using buckets in the stables that get emptied and refreshed every day with a swill out. I have at least 2 water troughs in each paddock and they are checked very often as I have paranoia about them not having water (hence the 2 troughs per paddock).