How often do you see your horses?

BeanyG

Visit site
As title I go see my two twice a day morning and night, they live out 24/7, but there is the odd day I only get there once.

But talking to a friend earlier who I used to share a field with, when they announced that they haven't checked there four in over a week. Now two of these are youngsters and one a mare in foal.
The field is pretty isolated where no one else would notice it there Is something wrong.
He seemed pretty shocked when I said I was going upto mine again today.
So to you, how often do you see yours?
N&F

rhino

Visit site
Twice a day at the moment as he is on box rest, normally just do evenings as yard does them am (I trust YO implicitly :) ).

Over the summer when out 24/7 then at least once (again YO checks on them in field).

indiat

Visit site
I spend about two hours a day minimum with my two five days a week. I don't drive so I cannot get up twice in one day and two days a week staff at the yard check them and feed them. But they are out with other horses and in reality people from the yard are going to and from the field all day. If they are on their own and you are the only person checking on them I would agree, twice a day is best. Not going up for more than a week is ridiculous - what in case one of them colicked?

Jesstickle

Visit site
twice a day, every day unless I arrange cover. Plus I am on a yard with people I know and trust on three sides of my field who I know would tell me if they spotted a problem so in reality they are under almost constant supervision. They need to be the naughty monkeys!

flying solo

Visit site
They're still out so once a day but I drive past them atleast 3 times so can see them grazing and would know if something wasn't quite right. I dont understand how people can leave animals for days on end without checking. My last yard no one went near the horses for over a month apart from the farmer who was only feeding hay every 4days! When I heard this I was completely shocked!!

Sandylou

Visit site
I see my boy once a day monday to Friday and as much as possible at the weekends. Me & my friend share the workload...she does mornings and I do evenings. There is another horse & owner in the equation but they only come to the yard at weekends so me & said friend feed and check that one as well.

maresmaid

Visit site
At least twice a day in winter (she's in overnight in winter and out all day). At least once a day in summer (out 24/7 in summer) - but most days twice a day in the summer as well. She's on DIY livery and turned out with about 6 other horses - we ALL go down once a day at the very least and usually check ALL the horses each time so I suppose you could say the horses are checked between 6 and 12 times a day!

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
Loads - but they are at home - in fact one is looking at me through the kitchen window willing me to take her out some hay, must resist, must resist.

When they were on a livery yard we went every evening as YO did mornings. When we used to rent a field just up the road I used to like to check morning, lunch time and evenings (coincided with taking he dog for a walk), but as a minimum I would do mornings and evenings.

alison_oliver

Visit site
Now he's on assisted DIY I see him once a day in the week and twice a day at weekends.

When he was on old yard he was out 24/7 last summer I went up every other day and did every other weekend, my friend did the other days and the yard owner checked twice a day.

When he was on rented land the year before he was checked once a day by myself or friend, with neighbours and local farmer also keeping an eye with my contact details should something have been wrong.

I much prefer now, knowing he has pretty much constant supervision and that if there were a problem I'd know fairly quickly.

Zimzim

Visit site
I do mine twice a day every day (DIY yard). Sometimes ends up being all day at weekends as I potter around the yard doing things, lol.

BeanyG

Visit site
Mine are on rented land so only me to check on them. I have always thought that I wouldn't ever go on to a livery yard but can see that you have got piece of mind they are been checked fairly frequently and would defiantly put my mind at ease more.
I wish I could go check theses myself for the animals sake but realistically can't fit it in with my two, two dogs and two kids under two..

Boxers

Visit site
The one that lives in is seen twice or three times each day. I also have a youngster who is turned awa y for the winter. I usually visit him every 3-4 days. He is out with 3 other horses and their owners also visit and check all four, so he is seen every day by someone, just not always me. Having said that, I drive past his field on the way to and from work and so can see that he is the right way up, and that his rug is on!

BillyBob-Sleigh

Visit site
Mine's on full livery Monday - Friday as the yard is 22miles away but he is so happy there (I did move him to a closer yard but he was so unhappy there due to lack of turnout that I moved him back). So usually I go up once in the week and both days at the weekend but since I've broken my leg after my fall in a HT 9days ago I only go up once or twice a week because I can't drive and my OH works long hours :(, but my YO is brilliant so I know he is spoilt rotten :)

Fools Motto

Visit site
They always got seen by either myself or my mother twice a day every day without fail.
Now they are in a different place, they still get seen to at least twice a day, but it is either myself or my mother or another family member. On the days when I don't see them personally, I ring round the various family and ask for updates. I can't tolerate a single day without knowing they are fit, well and happy!

bertin12

Visit site
twice a day, every day (pretty much!)
3 days a week i have college so on my way i go & turn him out and then muck out after college & depending on when i finish i will ride after college too.
saturday im there lots of the day. monday & tuesday im there for a few hours in the morning to ride/muck out and then back again in the eve to bring him on.
sunday i work so my friend turns him out in the morning and i go up after work to muck out/ bring in

aimsymc

Visit site
Im on assisted, so go up once a day usually early evening and most of weekend. Occasionaly when OH is working away I put her on full livery for the day, Yard is great and so flexible :)

weesophz

www.facebook.com
i go up once a day 4 days a week, my sharer does the other 3. as the YO lives on site and checks him every morning for me (hes kept in due to injury while the others are out) she would let me know if there was anything wrong with him. in the summer my sharer and me alternate every second day to check him, as hes so accident prone i couldnt leave him unchecked for even a day!

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
Mine's a share so I only see her every 2 weeks maybe for 3-4 days. However she is seen to by her mum twice a day, without fail or (very rarely) someone else if she can't get there. I could never leave horses for days at a time without checking them, but people do :(
Sods law its ours that get ill though!!!!!
K x

jsr

Visit site
Every week day at 5.25...rain, shine, sleet or snow and pretty much all day sat and sunday (and days off...holidays what are they???). Couldn't imagine a day not seeing him....I like him and enjoy his company so it's a pleasure to go clean up his poop of an evening!!! Lol!!;)

fatpiggy

Visit site
Twice a day every day. I have to medicate her both ends of the day and the drugs she has are very dangerous so I'm reluctant to let them loose in other people's hands. One warning about only checking as you go past - I went down with a friend to catch mine and check hers. She called her pony and he put his head up and whinnied to her but didn't move. She thought that wasn't normal so we both walked over to him and found he'd punctured his knee right into the joint. If she had just checked from a distance he would have had a fully infected joint and probably been put down. I always watch my horse walking and run my hands over her too. Once found a nasty cut that was completely invisible and with no blood showing.

Mugsgame

Visit site
If they are stabled at all then at least twice a day every day, those that are at home and close to the house I see ALL the time and they never seem to get bored of coming over to say hi whenever I am out there (quite like it though!! :) ).

Those in farther fields that are living out get a proper check once a day every day, are in view of a lot of other stuff going on as well so can generally pick up if something is amiss quite quickly. That said, the second day I stopped visiting morning and evening was the day my best mare came hobbling towards me in the afternoon having managed to cause carnage to her fetlock. Lots of 'if only's' but I was lucky she didnt catch the joint properly because she would have been curtains if it had gone unoticed that long. :( So now I make sure I have at least seen general health as early in the day as possible - even if the proper check and feed waits until later.

Tinseltoes

Visit site
I rent a field which I have to myself.I go up once a day and if I cant get there (dont drive) The man who own the field throws hay out.. In summer he also checks on them as the field is right outside his house. They have been know to escape into the neighbours fields.

cob&onion

Visit site
Mine are out 24/7, so everyday twice a day for me. I feed in the morning about 9am and of an evening around 4.30pm, also grass is scarce now so currently haying them twice per day too. I like to make sure there okay :)
In the summer once, have a horsey neighbor who can see them out her window,also keeps an eye out and calls me if there's a prob