How often do you wash your fly masks?

Fruitcake

Visit site
Have never used them before. Have had it three days (only on during the day) and had to cave and wash it tonight as it looks really scruffy. Am I being a bit OTT?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Just as and when needed really.
I have one horse who keeps his hood on and it never seems to get dirty and another who’s I retrieve constantly from mud/dust/the water trough and it’s minging so washed regularly.

Otherwise

Visit site
Not very often at all, as long as they can see out and the velcro isn't clogged I'll keep on using it as is. If it gets caked in mud I'll hose it off and leave to dry but it's never been properly washed in the machine. Don't think it would hurt it to wash it more frequently I just don't see much point.

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
Have never used them before. Have had it three days (only on during the day) and had to cave and wash it tonight as it looks really scruffy. Am I being a bit OTT?

I use one with a nose for riding atm - it gets washed after every use - you wouldn't believe the yuk it collects!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I usually wash mask and fly-rug once a week. My logic is that if they are dirty and smelly they’re just going to attract more flies. I have a spare mask also.

planete

Visit site
Once a week as it starts rubbing otherwise. Also use different makes so that it does not make contact with the head in the same places all the time.

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
I'd been wondering the same thing. I haven't done a proper wash but have left it to soak a few times - the water looks filthy afterwards but the mask never seems any cleaner!

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
When the field is extra dusty or muddy, I usually hose them down every day when the horses come in, I leave them out to dry and they're ready for the evening/ night again. It only takes a couple of minutes to jet the muck off. I haven't washed them in a week or so, but thanks to the rain (hallelujah!) I'm sure there will be lots of muck on them today!

Ellietotz

Visit site
Mine somehow manages to keep hers fairly clean but I clean off the nose flap every other day as it gets clogged up!

Woah

Visit site
Once every week to fortnight depending how dirty. Just so she can see properly out of it and doesn't attract additional flies!

katymay

Visit site
I wash fly masks and fly rugs at least once a week as when the get greasy and dirty it seems to attract more flies

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I put two spare plastic electric fence posts into the ground about a foot apart, then hang the fly mask on the posts with each post sticking up into an ear. Then I give it a quick blast with the hose and leave it in situ to dry, which doesn't take long.

I'm not sure about putting fly masks into a washing machine, wouldn't that squish them out of shape?

HashRouge

Visit site
I put two spare plastic electric fence posts into the ground about a foot apart, then hang the fly mask on the posts with each post sticking up into an ear. Then I give it a quick blast with the hose and leave it in situ to dry, which doesn't take long.

I'm not sure about putting fly masks into a washing machine, wouldn't that squish them out of shape?
No they hold their shape well, or at least the Cashel ones do. I think over-washing might cause them to lose their rigidity slightly sooner than they ordinarily would, but I wash mine fairly regularly and don't have any issues. I tend to just do mine when they look dirty. At the moment they haven't needed doing as much as it's so dry!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
On a fairly regular basis I will dunk in a used water bucket and swoosh around (usually the nose flap that looks gunky) hang up to dry, job done.

If they are greasy I will wash in the machine. it has a 30 at 30 wash (30 degrees, 30 minutes, mild spin) great for horse stuff.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
I have two on the go and keep them scrupulously clean to make them less attractive to flies. I wash fly sheets as often as I can - at least once a fortnight. Reckon they get all clogged up with sweat, grease and dirt and become unbreathable and a fly magnet. He also gets poo on the extra long tail flap.

Fruitcake

Visit site
Seems I’m not being OTT then. :) It went in the washer on a cold wash and fast spin and came out like new.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
Frequently, at least once a week along with the fly rug. It doesn't take much effort to remove the sweat, grease, scurf, snot and dirt from them and ensure they are breathable and pleasant to wear and more importantly less attractive to flies.

Chianti

Visit site
I use the Horseware ones and take the nose section off daily to wash it as it gets dirty so quickly. The other part goes in a wash bag in the machine when it needs to - weekly or a bit longer depending on how grubby it's getting.