How often do you worm a cat??

Crazydancer

Visit site
As title!
I have worming tablets, and although the box gives the correct dose for the cat's bodyweight, I can't see any information about how often I should be worming them!

Crazydancer

Visit site
Thanks. Just checked, the ones I have are Drontal. I have 2 cats, both outdoor cats, one is a bit of a hunter but not prolific. Just the odd mouse here and there. OK I've been doing them sporadically, so will get them on a better regime.
Thank you!

Aru

Visit site
Wormers in cats work by killing the current infestation but not as a preventative to further infection.......so a prolific hunter would need to be wormer more often then a lazy outdoor cat and an indoor only animal should rarely need worming.
Usual recommendation is every 3/4 months for an outdoor cat that's not a prolific hunter.monthly is recommended for the effective killers as they are much more likely to pick up a high burden from prey quickly. Indoor cats I would worm much less often.
Oh and any cat with fleas should be wormer with a tapewormer as fleas carry tapeworm to transmit to the cat.
Any of the broad spec wormers should do for monthly worming but a tapewormer should be used every 3 months if outdoors. If the prospect of tableting the cat fills you with a justifiable :p amount of horror the spots on broad line is licensed to treat everyworm...whereas advocate stronghold are intestinal worms and external parasites but no tapeworm treatment last I checked.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Yes our outdoor hunt crazy cat shows worms really frequently if we leave her longer than a month, so she gets done a lot in summer (so, therefore, does her brother and the dogs, as they're all close).