How often should I jump my horse

horseriding567

New User
Visit site
Me and my 15hh Connie, although we ride in dressage mainly, enjoy having a fun jumping session! I don't tend to go higher than 85cm/2ft9. How often would be a sensible amount to jump a week? Would love to improve this summer! Thanks :) x

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Depends on the horse's age and fitness and the surface you are riding on and if the horse is conditioned for the work I think. I am jumping my new horse about 2-3 times a week at the moment because I need to improve. I am careful it's a good surface and he is 10 and was a pro SJer before I got him. I hack the other days so he is not on a surface any more than 2-3 times a week and a lot of the preparation and warm up is more poles on the ground than big fences. He's also turned out 24/7.

be positive

Visit site
Depends on the horse's age and fitness and the surface you are riding on and if the horse is conditioned for the work I think. I am jumping my new horse about 2-3 times a week at the moment because I need to improve. I am careful it's a good surface and he is 10 and was a pro SJer before I got him. I hack the other days so he is not on a surface any more than 2-3 times a week and a lot of the preparation and warm up is more poles on the ground than big fences. He's also turned out 24/7.

I agree with this and would add it depends on what you are doing in each session, better to jump several times a week over a few grids, related distances and do polework to increase their education than to jump over the same 1 or 2 fences numerous times which teaches them very little, ours often pop just 4 or 5 fences in a session and if it goes as planned they finish on a good note.

Shay

Visit site
Its more about varying the work so they don't either go school sour or strain something. I have a rule for the kids who share my daughter's PC Competition pony that they should not jump more than twice a week. My daughter's BS Ponies (when we had them - she's over 16 now) some might jump once or twice a week, some didn't jump at all other than at a show. The eventer we have now (who started as a BS SJ'r will do something related to jumping most sessions - whether that is raised poles, prix caprilli, grids, a log or "real" jumps. It just depends on the horse, their fitness, training and temperament.

If you want to improve perhaps aim to jump once a week with an instructor and then once alone. Perhaps add one session with pole work? Then drop one of them on a week where there is a show. Make sure you keep hacking and flatwork as well!