How old is too old to be a working student?

Visit site
Hello!
I recently graduate from Uni this past winter and am already taking a gap year but im considering doing more as a working student at various farms with good eventing and show jumping programs. Is it bad to be a working student up until the age of 25 or so? At some point, I want to have a career in addition to horses that bring in the bills to pay for them and I do not know if that is too late to really start one. Also if anyone has ideas of fields to look into that tend to be remote that would be great too. Thanks!

Parrotperson

Visit site
well I think if you want to go for it! And trust me your not old!! Remember that being a working pupil is vary hard work for the pupil bit if you see what I mean and choose the yard carefully. Make sure they will teach you rather than just use you to muck out etc. Good luck

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
People go to classical trainers and the like at much older ages to improve their knowledge as working students. Hardly anyone has just one career these days, I changed at 26, then again at 37 to a saddle fitter. Do what you love, or want to do, life's too short. Just make sure that, if needed, you are truly gaining the skills or experience you want, or that you're happy to trade that for having an awesome time, easy to drift on in a job that isn't giving you what you want or need.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I have known a few people who worked with horses in various capacities for several years and then changed when they got into their 30s, but mostly still kept their own horse!

They all said the same thing, that although the pay wasn't great what they had was the experiences that they would never had had otherwise. Travelling to shows here and abroad, going to places that most people don't get to see, just having a great time.

CMcC

Visit site
Read Tik Maynards book “In the middle are the horsemen“. it is his story of starting out as a working student at 26.