How old should puppies be...

ecb89

Visit site
when they are handled by lots of different people? This probably is a numpty questions but I dont have any experience with puppies.

I have a friend whos dog gave birth to 4 puppies a couple of days ago. She has been inviting all her friends round to go and see the puppies, pick them up, cuddle them etc.

To me this seems a bit wrong. Surely they should spend as much time as possible with the mum and not have lots of people touching them, rubbing off strange smells on them.

This is the first time by friend has bred puppies so is this wrong or is it ok?

Like I said probably a numpty question :)

Vizslak

Visit site
I dont let anyone other than me touch pups before 2 weeks of age because of risk of infection. By 3 weeks I am happy for as many as possible to come handle/play with the puppies. Yes at 4 days old shes putting them at risk not helping them, you are correct.

ecb89

Visit site
Thanks Vizslak

I have declined going round and will now tell her that she could be endangering her puppies health :(

MurphysMinder

Visit site
As Vizslak says, it is stupid to let everyone handle pups at this age, apart from the risk of infection the bitch could become anxious and either reject the pups or become too fussy with them, over licking them until they are sore etc. If any strangers had tried to handle Evie's pups at that age I think she would have eaten them :eek: (the strangers not the puppies)!

EAST KENT

Visit site
Early handling is ok if the mother was given a full booster before mating;whilst suckling her immunity will protect them Once weaned they need a vaccine before taking that very real risk.Parvo can carry so easily ,even on a key ring it is very scarey and very real.