How old were you when you got your first horse? Did you have support of family?

Cobi

Visit site
Hi everyone, i am nearly 23 and i am desparate for my own horse. I have a car loan which is almost up then i will be able to afford one but i am learning the ropes before taking the plunge! I hope this time next year i will be looking into buying him/her. I am giving myself a chance to save up and search liveries etc. Anyhow i dont have the support frm friends or family (i dont mean financially) and i feel alone in the matter, they think i am joking whn i am not! Can i do this alone? Did you? I no i can afford it whn my cars paid for as tht was a hefty price each month and i dont go out at all if once a month.
I am sorry for the essay, as you say tea and cookies for getting this far X

Tonty Tont

Visit site
I first had my own horse when I was 13.

I had been helping my mom's friend with her horses for a while, so to say thank you she gave me Tont on loan as a project. He only cost £10 a week to start with, so my non-horsey parents didn't mind.
But then, without asking my parents permission first, Tont's owner gave me full ownership of him. We now have to pay for everything, so my parents really don't want him, but he is only living out in a field we rent, so is quite cheap to keep.

I think if you have the financial security, you should be able to have one. Good luck :)

Supertrooper

Visit site
I got my first horse in my twenties, my parents arn't horsey and my OH isn't interested at all so I was on my own. Find yourself a good/friendly livery yard and get a good instructor. Like you are doing learn as much as possible before hand and enjoy it xxx

I was incredibly lucky that I met my best friend at the first yard I went too and we've kept our horses together ever since. We now share a horse and because we trust each other so much we never argue or fall out xx

loisb501

Visit site
I was about 14 when i got my first horse on loan, my mum paid for the first year and then i worked part time jobs to pay thereafter. My family are not horsey at all, so I've always had to go about it myself. Just got a new horse after a few years without in November and loving it, i pay everything myself and can't get my OH or family to even come and meet my girl! So long as you take into account all the expenses involved you should be fine, for the past year or so i had been recollecting little things each month beforehand, grooming kit, new boots/hat things like that, i'm still getting new things/ bits of kit each month so just slowly building up everything i need :)

Cobi

Visit site
Thank you both for your replies. Thats lovely supertrooper, i hope i find some new friends along the way ...X

brigantia

Visit site
My parents didn't even allow me to take riding lessons because they believed that horses were for frivolous rich people.

So I didn't actually learn to ride until I was in my late 30s. At the age of 43, I bought my first horse who I've now owned for three and a half years. When I was in my 20s, I was far too busy struggling to work my way through uni and then to establish myself in a career to even think about horses.

But the time will come when you'll have the time and money. Only you can decide when that time is for you, but it's best if you can do it independently and not expect your family to finance your horse habit.

In the meantime, maybe you can exercise other people's horses? There are young women at my yard who ride everyone else's horses for them because the owners are often too busy.

Good luck! Hope all your horsey dreams come true!

Supertrooper

Visit site
In my experience the most expensive bills are livery, vet bills and shoes.

Get insurance for vet bills etc and go with a company with a good reputation and not one that only covers for 12 months.

If you can do DIY livery then do as not only is it generally cheaper but you bond so much more.

Look at what you will feed horse, most horses only need good quality hay plus a vit/min supplement.

Have a horse fund, when I had my own horse I put so much into it every month and this covered shoes, feed and any extras xx

alfie95

Visit site
I got my first horse when i was 19 and i had no support from my family at all, not because they weren't interested but because they are completely non horsey. I am literally the only horsey person in my family. It was hard initially but i soon made friends at the yard i was at and there was always someone to help if i needed it.

Cobi

Visit site
Hi brigantia, i have always funded myself and would never expect anyone else to pay for my animals. I would however like some support frm them as in encouragement. I am in a steady good job and have been for the past 6 years. I guess i will have to find support frm a good livery/instructor, that is a whole other thread lol :) .. Thnks for everyones comments, its nice to come on here and chat ...X

Cobi

Visit site
Thanks supertrooper, will start a horse fund asap!!
Alfie95- i am the only horsey person in my family 2! My parents have always admired me for my interest in them but now that i am
old enough to buy my own (without their permission, as such) i think it frightens them as they cant protect me from for ever you see! ... x

beehorses

Visit site
I loaned a pony on a work for ride sort of agreement no money involved when I was 13. When I turned 14 my dad persuaded my mum to buy me a horse that was for sale at the yard I consider myself very lucky as I know they couldn't really afford it and I still have him now I am 27. I have just bought myself a second horse but I could not do it without the time my parents put in for me.

misterjinglejay

Visit site
I got my first horse when I was in my late 20's, and had a huge amount of support (and cash) from my OH. In fact, he's really our horse, as OH rode him, and we share the stable duties.
My family are not horsey at all, and really don't understand my need for neddies. I was adopted as a baby, and interestingly the only thing I know about my birth mother, is that she had horses - nurture vs nature??
My parents paid for me to have lessons as a kid, after a lot of begging, but I don't think they ever dreamed that this 'phase' would last!
I've ridden, worked with horses, and had my own for most of my life (40+ years), and they still think I'll grow out of it, and that horses are only for the rich (oh boy, I wish :D )

Miss L Toe

Visit site
As a newbie it might be advisable to get a part loan or share so you can enjoy the horse without the worry of financial contributions killing your budget.
You will find a horse costs about he same as a car per month, but unfortunately you will still need a new car every so often, so you need to build up a little savings account as the car gets older the bills get bigger.
To answer your Q I got one when I was 23, after buying my own house, even then my father was aghast at this reckless spending.

TJ&Ozzie

Visit site
I was 5 when I got my first pony on loan. My parents aren't at all horsey but my Mum and I learnt together. Mum has never ridden but it is more than capable of doing all the bits on the ground.

Cobi

Visit site
MisterjingleJay- ah unusual of your birth mother having horses!, definatly passed down!,

Miss L Toe- i had a share recently which didnt work out and im tryin to find another inbetween stables with no luck :(, i hope my car will last me a while although i will still be saving alot, my brothers a mechanic to which helps alot ;) x

Ladydragon

Visit site
I was forty *cough* and wrinkled when I bought my first... A gorgeous yearling that attached herself to me and my heart melted... Plus I needed a 'project' having gone through a terribly difficult bereavement and shutting myself away for too long... A childhood dream finally came to fruition all because of a little furry face and an understanding pair of eyes...

My husband nearly fell off the sofa complete with a "WTF do you want a bleepity bleep horse for - they bite one end and kick the other"... The kids thought I'd lost the plot...:D

Fast forward a bit and we had to have her PTS this year due to a gut torsion... I guess the wee lass came with a purpose and had to go when she'd achieved it... Him who wanted nothing to do with horses originally was so devastated I had to get him a foal so he had a new baby to look after... They are inseparable... :)

Unfortunately my heart rules my head - hence also buying a young TB in a rather terrible state and probably THE most unsuitable horse for me to return to riding on... :eek: But all's good - my son has cheerfully stolen him and I'm immensely jealous of how well he's taken to riding... The dirt cheap pony no one wanted to see because the advert said he had sweet itch has turned out to be a little darling for our youngest... I will say the kids had to learn how to muck out a stable before they were allowed to get on board a pony we loaned though initially - just to check it wasn't a flash in the pan interest...

It's been a big change...we're constantly skint, never go out or have holidays, the kids have riding stuff for crimbo or birthdays and the vet and farrier are on speed dial... But the change in lifestyle so to speak has been wonderful for the whole family... New friends, fresh air, exercise and we needed some direction... There's a bit of a nice future rolling ahead which is lovely...

Just make sure you are able to keep a little aside each month Cobi to keep the car on the road or a small stockpile in case you need to change it... And good luck finding a decent livery and a special new family member... :)

Chestnut mare

Visit site
I started riding when I was 11 at a local riding school. My dad paid for lessons. I then started working at the riding school in exchange for lessons on Saturdays. I loved it brilliant for learning all aspects of horse care.
I then brought my horse when I was 19- total out of the blue not planned or the kind of horse I would of brought in theory! I was luckily able to buy her with a payment plan and worked for the lady (poo picking etc) who I brought her from in exchange for keeping her at her home. I eventually moved to a livery yard closer to my home as the travelling was becoming a bit much and as I was doing 4 horses plus mine I felt like I was not having enough time for my own pony. I was glad I moved her but it did take a long time for her to settle in.
I didn't have any support from my family at all financial or otherwise. They tried to talk me out of it tbh. But I showed them that I could afford it how I would plan the time to do the horse with work etc. They agreed it was up to me at the end of the day it's my money. I was still living at home so was do able.
Now I have my own house/bills/car loan it is a struggle financially. I do have time though as work good hours.
I don't regret buying my horse although she was somewhat challenging in the beginning and maybe I did lack experience but I've had her about 11 and half years now :)

pines of rome

Visit site
I got my first horse at 15, my father refused to buy me one so I saved myself with money I got from my Saturday job, went with Mum and bought Shane, Dad was furious and said I would have to pay to keep him, which I did!
Anyway Shane was a big learning curve for me, he was a 14.2 cob, only 3 and had been backed but done little else and was sold cheaply as owner was scared of him. Shane taught me a lot, he would dump me, p..ss off frequently but I perserved and we had fun together although he was never easy.
After 10 years together, I was now working in racing, a race horse came up for sale which I really wanted, but I couldn,t sale Shane, a young friend of mine wanted a cob but couldn,t afford to buy one, so I suggested she could have Shane on permenant loan.
This worked out well I bought my racer Grant and we both went to a livery yard together, this was great I still helped with Shane so I never felt that I had lost him. my friend kept S hane to his dying day which was a couple of years ago the
lovable old devil got to 36 and we were both with him at the end!

wizbit

Visit site
I was the same as you :) 24 when i got my first horse. Family not at all horsey so did it all alone. Had always had lessons / helped friends / worked with horses beforehand but still not quite the same as having your own! It is EXTREMELY time consuming (especially if you do DIY) so do thoroughly think this through. I am also always now totally skint / muddy / smelly / late for everything :D
It is a total lifestyle change having your own, alot of people i know couldn't deal with this and ended up selling their horse within the first year of buying one (bit of a shock to their system!). But if you are 100% dedicated then go for it :) Learn as much as you can in the meantime, you never stop learning when it comes to horses

Tammytoo

Visit site
I got my first horse when i was 19 and i had no support from my family at all, not because they weren't interested but because they are completely non horsey. I am literally the only horsey person in my family. It was hard initially but i soon made friends at the yard i was at and there was always someone to help if i needed it.

Same for me! However, when I married I made it clear to OH that my horse was part of the "deal"! Over the years he has come to love my neds as much as I do and can now do most things around the yard, including bringing in and out, but draws the line at ridinng!

You sound highly organised about the whole thing and I wish you luck. Find yourself a good instructor/experienced friend to help you find the right horse though.

Oh, and be careful about stocking up on things for your horse - it would be awful if things were the wrong size or didn't fit!

RubysGold

Visit site
I bought my first horse when i was 18, my parents aren't horsey so i was alone, but i do have their support, they just can't help me. They both like to come for the occasional fuss and to give carrots :)

Shooting Star

Visit site
I was 14, my parents did agree to it and pay (DIY grass livery initially then DIY stabled) but neither are horsey so no support in looking after her.

Fortunately I'd spent the previous few years at the horsey equivalent to the girl guides, we rode one weekend and did stable work & horse care the next weekend which is something that I'm so glad that I got to do before having my own. :)

guesstimation

Visit site
I never owned a horse when I was younger but always rode my family are not horsey at all but luckily my mum's best friend was a ra!

I moved 300 miles from home at 17 and didn't go near a horse for 3 years missed it so much so started lessons again but wasn't enough which is when I looked for a horse to share and found dollar, I shared him with owner for about a year so learned the ins and outs of actually having my own and then u had him on full loan until he succombed to comic one day :-( i had also bought by unhandled dartmoor who I've now owned for 6 years.

So I was about 22 when I first took on full responsibility of a horse of my own and had no support from family or friends as they weren't into them! I.found my support through people at the yards I had my horse at and through forums! And I've made some great friends through both! As long as you have the finances you should be fine there's always people around who love horses happy to help!

hessy12

Visit site
Hi everyone, i am nearly 23 and i am desparate for my own horse. I have a car loan which is almost up then i will be able to afford one but i am learning the ropes before taking the plunge! I hope this time next year i will be looking into buying him/her. I am giving myself a chance to save up and search liveries etc. Anyhow i dont have the support frm friends or family (i dont mean financially) and i feel alone in the matter, they think i am joking whn i am not! Can i do this alone? Did you? I no i can afford it whn my cars paid for as tht was a hefty price each month and i dont go out at all if once a month.
I am sorry for the essay, as you say tea and cookies for getting this far X

Yes you can! I did, sort of, although hubby always helps out, but if you have a good yard then that'll be a great support. I am impressed that you're learning the ropes before taking the plunge, well done, having a horse is a great learning journey, we never stop learning about our horses.
I got my first pony at age 13 and loved it. Good luck finding your horse once you are car payment free! Let us know how you get on!

maree t

Visit site
I was 21 when I got a connie on loan. I had lessons as a teenager until mum fell off and suffered a brain injury and they didnt want me to ride anymore.
I got my first on loan which was good for a steep learning curve but would recommend finding somewhere good to keep them first so that you know you have support. I bought my daughter her first pony when she was four but she didnt want to know. Her brother took over the pony a couple of years later when I said that I was going to sell her and then she started riding when he moved on. We now have 5 which are for the kids ponys really but when they go I will get my driving ponys. I have broken the first to drive but she is now on loan to a lovely family so I just get to do al the mucking out etc

Cobi

Visit site
Thanks again everyone!
I will only be buying things that size doesnt matter! Lol
Thanks hessy12 and tammytoo, i like planning ahead and will learn as much as i can before owning my own, so i can be as prepared as i can be! Will keep you updated, i am enjoying my time on here :) learning lots ...X

giddyupalfie

Visit site
I was 17 when I got my first horse last Feb. Well, I say horse but what I really mean is my cheeky Miniature Shetland, Betsy!! None of my family are horsey at all but my uncle was nice enough to pay for Bets as an early birthday present :D

The only financial help I had was the fact that my uncle paid for her. I pay for everything else - all her kit, accessories, livery ect.

Now, nearly a year on I am the proud owner of 3! I have Betsy, a yearling cob type and a 24 year old Welsh Cob.

You'll get one of your own!!! You definately seem like you have your sensible head on :D

ABC

Visit site
I got my first horse at 12 and have never had any support from my family. They just aren't interested :)

I'm 19 now and rent my own land with stables and field shelters. If you want it enough it can happen :)

I was lucky though, buying a young mare at a good price and selling her to a dressage home for a substantial profit.

Good luck, you can do it :) I know what its like to have a family who don't support you but once you've done it, all off your own back, you feel on top of the world...until your bank statement comes :eek: :D :D