How old were you when you got your first horse? Did you have support of family?

acw295

Visit site
30!

Rode from age 7, but had non horsey parents so Riding School only for me for 21 years :( then I shared for 2 years before I bought, just to make sure I could cope.

My parents have been ok with it though, but I was lucky to have horsey friends for support :)

I was financially sorted though, u/g and p/g degrees completed, ok job and own house first. I'm not well off exactly but can afford it comfortably (1 horse, DIY, cheap lorry).

NoltonSeaShell

Visit site
I was 9... I had been learning to ride since I was 5 and really wanted my own to have lessons with. Obviously had full support of my parents, and I still have now and im 21! They have bought me a field and stables etc and still pay for hay. But I pay for everything else, my OH chips in loads as well, so i'm pretty lucky.

Mari

Visit site
I was never allowed to learn to ride as a child & always wanted a pony. My parents told me that I could have one when i was earning enough money to buy & keep it myself. I was 31 before I bought my first horse & taught myself, horse in one hand & book in the other. I'm now an oap but until I had my own horse I didn't know anyone horsey so didn't realise there were things like riding clubs or maybe other people with horses who would have let me help them. Pity you don't live near me I'd be happy to have you help out with mine. Good luck with your dream.

Stacey6897

Visit site
I got my horse when I was 19 and started earning enough, had already moved out,

Conversation between Dad and I when I told him

D - You never told me you wanted a pony

Me - think I might have

... coupla times

... a day

... for about a decade

ETA - parents totally non horsey, in a 'lovely dear, I like the white bits, can we go now' kind of way

Last edited:

emma.is

Visit site
First thing I would do is learn the basics of riding at a local riding school with a good instructor:)

Then you'll have a whole yard full of friendly knowledgeable people to help you out! You can ask them all about local horses for sale and where to keep your horse.

As long as you know what you're doing and you have financial security I'd do it!

but find an instructor first:D they're invaluable for opinions, viewing horses with and late night phone calls :rolleyes: I'm sure mine must be sick of me phoning!

I had part loans from the age of 11 but I was 16 when I finially got Charlie on full loan (and I call him mine but shouldn't... haha!)

Last edited:

Cobi

Visit site
Fantasy-World - thanks for your post, its really informative, I am not proud and love a good bargain so it wouldnt bother me at all searching for cheap but good equipment, tack etc.
I would really like a cob, not too big but big enough for me to not look silly on being 5.8 with long legs ;). I am swayed more towards a gelding as I have had alot more 'fun' experience on them rather than moody mares. (Although I have some great memories of thoses aswell!) so would head towards a blue or green theme so bargain hunting could well start pretty soon. :D

madeleine1 - QUOTE[I just made sure i had a good livery the first year so if i needed help it was there xx]QUOTE , this is what I would need to do but i have no idea where to start, where do I get reccomendations? Do i enquire and ask to look around? I have no friends in the horsey world so really dont know where i would start my livery search. Any suggestions?

Mari - aw thank you, is a pity we dont live near each other. :)

Stacey6897 - haha that made me laugh, my dad just sort of changes the subject... :p

Emma.is - thanks, i have about 15 years of riding experience but took a break due to an accident, got back into it last year when i realised my life was going no where without horses and i really want to follow my dream now.

I am really pleased I have had so many comments, thanks everyone, this is a nice place to be :)

Cocorules

Visit site
I got my first at 12. I helped at a riding school from the age of 5. I helped 7 days a week from age 9. I did not really want my own as I knew how much work they were but Dad decided I was having one. I only genuinely loved it from the age of 19. I am a lot older now. I once got my Dad to look after her for me for one night but he forgot and I was furious Pony out 24.7 so no harm done. Dad rode and knew exactly how to look after her having regularly helped me over the years. What I am trying to say is even with a supportive family you are on your own. My mum thinks I am mad and when I could finally afford to buy my own field she said I suppose that is ok you do ride a lot! My family are genuinely helpful but do not really get it. My sisters are genuinely much better and my other half is fab and helps loads with field maintenance but I never expect help and know I can rely on me and truly horsey mates.

Waffles

Visit site
Got my first pony when I was 12 having nagged for years and years. I had one or two riding lessons about aged 7 or 8, but then went to this place that wasn't a proper riding school - you just paid to borrow a horse to go out hacking. Eventually bought the (rather insane) pony from there. My mum and dad paid for everything (we weren't well off - my dad was a mechanic and 2nd hand car dealer). My mum took me up to feed the pony every day after school in the winter, and sometimes, if the weather was really bad, she would go up herself and do it before it got dark (he was kept out) - I never asked her to do that - she did it as it was easier for her. She's since said that I never once moaned about mud/winter etc - damned right!! after nagging for so many years, it was my dream come true!!! I never had ay other help though apart from financial - I'd get dropped up there in the morning on weekends/holidays and stay up there till about 4 or so - there were a few others similar age to me and we'd go out riding all day. Brilliant.

Moopoo

New User
Visit site
I was 27 and had wanted a pony since the age of 9 when I first started riding!

Despite riding for years and having lots of experience looking after horses, including working at yards - it was still a big step to be completely responsible for my own. My non-horsey family, friends and OH thought I was crazy and I probably still can't really afford it, but if you want something badly enough you find a way to make it happen and 5 years on I have never regretted my decision.

Good Luck!

Waffles

Visit site
It's an absolutely wonderful feeling getting your own horse! I feel so proud riding him past cars/people and always think "HE IS MINE!!" wonderful!!

PitPony

Visit site
I was 13 when I got my first horse (had one on loan with a friend for a few months prior)...but to have my own was amazing...even though it wasn't all plain sailing!
Always felt it was a privilege and an honour to be with her...she was 12 years old when we bought her and we were together for 12 years. I have photos of her everywhere and still have my saddle and special rugs which I had with her...15 years on.
Luckily my Mum and Stepdad were very supportive and adored her as well...she always came first and was a constant through all my teenage years...she was absolutely priceless.

Charla

Visit site
I was 21 when I bought my first horse. Had no support from my family whatsoever. My mother told me I was a fool and would regret it when I have no money and get fed up of early mornings. But do i regret it? No!! It was the best decision I ever made. I have the best horse who I love to bits! I am constantly skint yes, but he is worth it. I am really tired from 6am starts at the yard before work but he is worth it xx

Hexx

Visit site
I waited 34 years to buy my first horse. I'd ridden since I was about 10, but Mum and Dad just wouldn't buy me (or my sister) a horse as they said we would fight over it!!

When i got made redundant 12 years ago, the first thing I did was buy myself a horse! Gus is the best horse ever, perfectly suited to me and we have been together 12 years now (longer than i was with my husband!!!).

As for finding friends/support - don't worry, once you are on a yard, you will soon make good friends and you can give and receive support. I have met two of my best friends through the yards I have been at.

Good luck with your search - I can honestly say, I couldn't think of a life without my boy.

GCC

Visit site
Mum took my riding when i could just walk! but i fell inlove with it and worked my a**e off on riding schools and stuff as a child, then i got my first loan pony at 10 and at 11 my first pony! then it all snowballed and now i work with horses to fund my hobby!

ShadowFlame

Visit site
19. Bought him myself, pay for him myself. No real support off my family, all self funded, but my mum does enjoy going to see him with me now and then. Glad I did it that way, to be honest, as I find I get a sense of accomplishment from the fact that he's purely "mine". I'd wanted my own since I was a kid, now he's genuinely "my own" :)

MochaDun

Visit site
Bought my first ever horse when I was 41 :) It wasn't an option financially before then. Had had riding lessons from age 8-15 weekly and then 2 years before I got my pony I started having weekly lessons again and loved it so much and decided as I had the money it was time to get a horse of my own. Friends were very encouraging, family (2 older sisters) were very worried about the long term financial commitment even though both been involved with horses too. I lost my permanent job nearly 3 years ago but pony is still with me :) This year could be interesting though but I have no intention of him going anywhere.

However, ETS, be realistic about whether you can afford a horse and buy within your price range and how much you can afford to pay for livery, etc. I had a budget in mind and stuck to it - and that included a type of horse that in a worse case scenario could easily live out - I have a good doer too so save costs on feed! I would not have been able to afford to get a horse at any stage earlier in my adult life so it is important to plan ahead and make sure it's the right time - unfortunately you can't return them to the shop if you change your mind :)

Last edited:

Cobi

Visit site
Thnks again for all the replies, i want to feel like that waffles and shadowflame! :)

I dont go out and spend most of my money on my fur babies (ferrets!) so i am certain i could afford one.

I am not one to jump into things lightly, i will make sure i am capable of looking after and caring for a horse before i buy one! And when i do i will make sure i go about it the right way :D

Also I am so glad i discovered this forum as your all very helpful!

*Maddy&Occhi*

Visit site
I bought my first horse at 16. I started riding at around 7 and loaned ponies which my mum and dad paid for, I was always desperate for my own but my parents could never afford it. I then started my full time job which is very well paid and bought my first horse. Due to certain circumstances- I sold her and bought my second back in march and havent looked back ever since :)

Good luck in your search, my mum and dad arent horsey at all and "sometimes" make the effort to come and see my girl :) I was fortunate enough to have lots of horsey friends to help me. The horsey world is so small and everyone seems to be friends with everyone :D as soon as I meet someone new who is horsey, we bond instantly so it wont be too hard for you to meet some lovely friends along the way.