How old where you or you children when learning to ride

horsemow1

Visit site
My little girl is 19 months when did you buy there first pony i did my first show at 2 what age do you think is correct
Did you have lessons or just family who taught you

tinap

Visit site
Daughter started to learn to ride when she was 5 on a pony we loaned off a friend who was a RI so also taught her. Non of our family were horsey but I think if they had been, she would have learned sooner!

Natz88

Visit site
I was about 4 when I started riding. My little girl is 18 months & she has been on a pony a few times, we haven't bought her one as there is a shetland up the yard that does nothing so I have been told to help myself to him so she has a plod around on him :)

Littlelegs

Visit site
My family aren't horsey so I was about 6 when I started regularly. My daughter got plonked on at a few weeks old (soon as she could hold her head up) used to just sit her on for a few mins. About 6 months old when I used to take her for a ride across the yard a few times a week. So all her life really, just increasing the time as she got older & screamed louder when you tried to lift her off. Went in local shows leadrein & noveltys age 2 cos when I took her to watch friends older kids she was very insistent 'my want ride in there' obviously not exactly competitive at that age. I would definitely do the same again if a child enjoyed it, could write an essay on all the benefits! Had her helping to groom from being able to walk, loved taking pony for walks etc. For correct age its whenever they show an interest really.

Holl&Ru

Visit site
I was 4. My mom had bought herself a grey Arabian gelding - Ambition - who hated her. He'd doing anything to get her off, but she noticed that with me he was sweet and gentle and acted just like a big dog. So, with a lot of trepidation me, born without a left hand, was put on top of a young, 'rogue' horse.
Well, I don't think anyone needed to worry. Together we learnt to jump, and went to high level dressage. He's still with my parents being a grumpy old man :cool:

Shantara

Visit site
I wish I could have been born into it, but thankfully I had very encouraging parents, so I started at age 5. If I ever have kids, they'll start asap! (Very doubtful, I've been put off men and kids for life, I think!)

kiritiger

Visit site
Started riding when I was 9 - I had lessons at a riding school. Parents completely unhorsey and reluctant to let me ride - one used to work in A&E.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I wish I could have been born into it, but thankfully I had very encouraging parents, so I started at age 5. If I ever have kids, they'll start asap! (Very doubtful, I've been put off men and kids for life, I think!)

Similar, except I was 4. And the pony was a mini-me shet version of J. Definitely off men and kids though ;)

sammiea

Visit site
My son is 2 & half.. I brought his pony for him when he was 6mths old althought the pony was only 2. Pony has spent last 2 years showing in hand (been to big county shows, championship shows & evening performances) I wanted to do it this way so the pony has been there done everything possible before my son gets on and that we know the pony inside out, having seen people stung on buying 100% 1st ponies I didnt want to risk it. Lottie took a lot of finding but is pefect, my son has now been sitting on for about 6mths pony is broken and riding away well(with older child) but at the same time happy leading round wih my son on her, they have their 1st show together next month (the local RC jumping - they are doing the poles on the floor class) as he is now happy doing a few min of trot :)

ivandenisovich10

Visit site
I was about 4 when started riding lessons and my first pony snowball arrived on my 5th bithday, luckily mum was horsey and dad was easily persuded to come and hold and help at pc shows. Our kids if they show any interest will be on a pony as soon as they want

Tillypup

www.valleypoint.co.uk
We went camping in France when daughter was 3 1/2, they had a riding stables there so took her along, after the first day I had to take her every day for the 20mins lead ride!! It was supposed to be a walk around the woods but I tried a sneaky trot with her and the look of delight on her face was great!!

She started proper lessons back here on her 4th birthday, she's now 5 and has been riding every other week or so. I'm happy with what she's doing, the rate of progress, she's having fun, learning about being around horses/ponies and enjoying herself. I'm going to see how the next few months go and maybe then try and find a loan pony for her, or maybe hold off until she's 6 next year.

minesadouble

Visit site
I rode before I could walk, my eldest started at 18months and now my middle daughter is just really getting started at 4. She pottered about a little bit from 2.

My four year old did her first BSPS show last year at 3 on her 4year old Sec. A

143.jpg

And I bought a L/R 1st Ridden Schoolmaster this winter, am dying to get her properly started on him!

081.jpg

xxMozlarxx

Visit site
I think I was around 8 when my grandad took me up to the farm to ride, non horsey family and thismwas many many years ago before horse ownership was common as it is now. Eldest daughter rode my horse then her own from 5, my son was a baby and I used to strap him to me and ride with him clinging on like a little monkey..very unsafe looking back but we weren't so health and safety concious in those days.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I was 4 when I started learning to ride. My child is -6 months old (due in 3 months!) and has already been riding and done some dressage competitions (in my belly but even so!) ;) I plan to plonk him on a pony as soon as he can stand! He has 3 ponies lined up for him already...

sarelis

Visit site
I was 3 when I started riding, I was very lucky as my Mum had a friend who had a little riding school. Apparently I cried throughout my first ever ride, up until Mum's friend fell down a hole then I laughed like a drain (evil child that I was!!) From then on I lived & breathed horses, when I was old enough I helped out at the stables on weekends in exchange for rides & lessons :)

JustKickOn

Visit site
My aunt sat me on her pony when I was 2 months old.
Had my first lesson aged three, as that was the minimum age at my local riding school.
ETA: I'm now 19, nearly 20 :)

jackessex

Visit site
hi ive just picked up a pony today for my 3 yr old son who was driving me crazy wanting to ride mine,so now he has his "own" pony to do :) although i have to say i think i was as excited about it as he was!!!

babymare

Visit site
my daughter was a week old when she got her first pony - she competed 2 at one point and now at age of 23 still as a deep passion for horses and soon to retire as Uni equestrian team captain as she is finishing final year - I was 6 and horses have been a passion all my life and truat me I will need to borrow fingers to count how old I am lol :)

horsemow1

Visit site
hi ive just picked up a pony today for my 3 yr old son who was driving me crazy wanting to ride mine,so now he has his "own" pony to do :) although i have to say i think i was as excited about it as he was!!!

cool i hope he get on super with his new pony

hula

Visit site
I started when I was 9, I come from a very unhorsey family, and they didn't take a great deal of interest!