How old would you let your horse compete until?

twizard

New User
Visit site
Just curious as I am still jumping (unaffil) 23 year old ex grade A, he was slightly off earlier in the year but seems have come back with a new keen attitude and speed towards the end of the summer.

People keep telling me he will let me know when he has had enough, but he keeps changing his mind!

How old would you let your horse compete in local level jumping and xc?

Common sense says as long as they are fit and healthy and not falling over but am I being unfair?

dieseldog

Visit site
The thing with old horses is that as soon as you retire them they suddenly look old and age really quickly. The thing keeping him going is probably the fact that you are still doing stuff with him. If he is happy keep going.

Saf

community.webshots.com
I am a great believer they will tell you
smile.gif
Safs mum Treasure was hunting till 21 till cushing finally took her from me and she was angry every time the box went without her
tongue.gif

twizard

New User
Visit site
Thank you! I suppose I am just looking for other opinions because the only oldies I have had in the past are ponies who seem to go on forever.

This chap is not stiff, I take longer warming him up these days in case, but he still pulls me into stuff and I dont ask a lot of height these days either.

He looks great at the moment, in fact better than he did a few years ago, he is ridden daily and usually competes 2/3 times a month, never more than two SJ classes or 1 x XC, he doesnt pant and puff when he is finished and still has the attitude he came with as a 16 year old!

Fiona

Visit site
See my post slightly further down the page on'derby competition last Saturday'. That horse is 24 years of age. He admittedly has slowed down a bit this summer, but still completed/placed in two intro EI events, and hopefully will hunt this winter with our local bloodhound pack (this will be his third season hunting with them). He is always terrifically strong out hunting, so hopefully if he starts to back off, I will know that he has had enough.
NB - he recovered from a serious knee complaint 4 years ago to reach this level again, when our vet said I should retire him because of his age.
Bestof luck with your oldie - I'm sure you will know when the time has come to stop, just as I will.

Fiona

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
echo the others eg for as long as he stays happy, you may have to tone down gradually the heights at which he competes but it doesn't mean he has to stop. There is a 12h2 at home that competed regulary over nursery classes beyond its 30th birthday, it now nicely into its 30s still does the occasional few classes.

kerrylou123

Visit site
i was still competing my 12.2 pony locally at the age of 30 (his age, not mine) and he was still just as naughty as when he was in his teens! Hes now 38, and in full retirement and loving it!

miss_bird

Visit site
I am really echoing everyone else, about he will let you know when the age has finall crept up in him.
When he does please remember to break the retirement to him gently, e.g. still keep hacking him out, he will then tell you when he is ready to just be pampered in the field with no work