how possesive are you over your horses

mjcssjw2

Visit site
actually my horse is very dominant with other horses and gets very upset if others get there food first or get brought in first. so I am the only one that does him mostly, he accepts this and doesn't bat an eyelid when the others get fed, however if I allowed them to it would become a nightmare. I have a very trusted friend who helps when necessary and has the same high standards as me. she doesn't have her own horse, so only comes to stables to help me. but I do accept I am a control freak.

Last edited:

tankgirl1

Visit site
I'm more possessive about his bed lol! Grateful for any help that comes our way, but I am a perfectionist when it come to mucking out... makes no sense as my house is a tip!

ladyt25

Visit site
Nope! My mum an/or sister do mine every morning! :) Ok, so we have our own land so I have never experienced a livery yard situation but I can't imagine it'd bother me.

Shantara

Visit site
There are maybe 2 or 3 people I would trust to do anything with Ned. It's not Ned I don't trust, but people!

I'm like a nervous mother, one who wants their child to see the world...but not really.

khalswitz

Visit site
I'm very fussy about how my horse is handled/which rugs he's in, what he's fed etc, but even if I had him in and he needed mucking I would be quite happy if someone else did it!! Also not bothered about other people feeding etc but if someone continually fed right before I rocked up to ride I would be a bit miffed. I'm more worried about how my horse behaves with other people, he'd soon look after himself... I'm more possessive about people riding him. I get very jealous when he goes so well for everyone first time they sit on him...

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Unless you've made arrangements for this person to be doing your horse - I'd be asking (telling) them to stop.

It's not about being possessive or ungrateful. But at the end of the day this is your horse, your responsibility and your hobby.

gingernut81

Visit site
Unless you've made arrangements for this person to be doing your horse - I'd be asking (telling) them to stop.

It's not about being possessive or ungrateful. But at the end of the day this is your horse, your responsibility and your hobby.

This. I totally agree with this. I don't like other people doing my horse mainly because he is mine and therefore up to me to sort him out but also there is an element of no one can do it quite like me! Lol

Ibblebibble

Visit site
thank you for making me feel less abnormal :) i think i am going to have to say something as tactfully as i can (oh dear) as my stables have all been mucked out this morning :(

Holding

Visit site
Ooh, send her over my way. If I turned up at the yard and my horses were fed, turned out and mucked out the person responsible would be getting a full on snog.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
H is on part grass livery so I haven't encountered anyone mucking out for me (though if anyone fancied helping tackle my field I'd be immensely grateful!) so in that respective I'm not very possessive. However my pet peeve is people coming up and asking if they can give him a treat whilst their hand is already extended to him with said treat.

Yes he is rather cute but he also becomes a bolshy thug where treats are concerned. For that reason he doesn't get treats unless he's done something outstanding. Even carrot stretches are done with a handful of grass to lower the "excitement" factor as a 15hh Irish cob doing an excited Labrador puppy impression is not my idea of fun.

myprincess

Visit site
I used to keep at a yard where I'd get up really early before work walk to in the freezing cold to put my horses out to get there and find them already out in the field so had to turn straight round and treck back home. No text or anything to say they were out and need not bother dragging my half asleep arse up.
Then id go up after work to find my horses tucked up in there stables snug as bugs all fed mucked out etc. Now its nice to have a break but I did feel like my horses wernt mine anymore, I actually enjoy the hard work even mucking out its part of the package of horse ownership, but everytime I got to the yard I would have to go straight home as there was nothing there for me to do.
This went on for months as people stopped going up in a morning because they knew there horses would already have been turned out so didnt bother wasting there time only for the interfering cow to complain that she was looking after everyone's horses!!
Ive since moved anyway and actually feel like I am a horse owner again lol

charli_

Visit site
Honestly, I would only trust my mum, my sister, or either of two aunts with Wellie and Prince. It's not that I don't trust them, but I would need to know that they would care for them properly.