How quickly did you guys get over selling your horse?

shadowboy

Visit site
Shadow has been for sale for about 10 days now and im really finding it difficult to sell him- not in terms of finding people to buy him (ive had an offer which i turned down, and a lovely lady is coming with a deposit tomorrow) but he is just starting to produce some super work and is relaxed and keen. Im worried once hes gone i wont be able to find something as quiet as him or with such a lovely character and attitude. (when im back from the states) Im worried that nothing will ever measure up. When you sold your horse was it difficult? Did you come to terms with it quickly? and finally did you find a horse that was a good/better?

WelshRareBit

Visit site
I got over the sale of my old horse in a few months - basically when I started looking for something new. I think - they are always for sale for a reason and of course you still love them in a way but if its not working out for whatever reason the best thing is to let them go to someone with whom it may all work out great. Knwoing their in a good home helps.
smile.gif

evsj

Visit site
I think going to the states will help you to put him to the back of your mind and may help to ease the pain of selling him. i know it feels like at the moment that you can't bear the thought of life without him but try and be a bit philosophical about it and tell yourself you are doing what's best for him.

i still regret selling a horse i owned 15 years ago but i know after crying for the first 3 days, I had moved on within a couple of weeks. it is horrible selling an animal you have been so attached to but you will find something else later when you are ready to be an owner again.

the horse i have now is better than the one i sold years ago but then again i have a few more years experience to be able to cope! all horses are different and you will find the right one if you take your time. are you able to keep your hand in over in the US? that would really help.

Blizzard

Visit site
It took me a few months and i was extremely upset but the fact she was a complete nightmare and we didnt get on at aLL helped a lot.

Also having my other horse still helped as I didnt feel like part of my life was missing, ie I still had a reason to be up the yard every day.

But rally I only got over it when I got my new boy, especially as he is perfect for us, and it just reinforced that I did the right thing selling her.

The hardest part is making he initial decision to let them go I think, I used to find myself at first wishing people wouldnt want her!

Law

Visit site
I had to loan my old highland out when i moved to the states (not the same thing I appreciate) but to be honest I cried and cried as he left to go to his new home... within a few days I was consumed by the move and the change of lifestyle and culture so it eased fairly quickly (weeks)
I know it isn't the same as selling.

SarahNZ

Visit site
My best competition horse and my best friend was sold for me to come and train over this side of the world. That was a year ago, and I'm still very upset about it.

I think I'll always feel it was a bad decision...

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
I had to sell Liberty... She was 13.3hh show pony and I'm 5'7 long legged...Go figer... I have to say I knew straight away when people came to veiw if they were right or wrong. I felt I needn't to find a suitable home that I agreeed with and she would be treated in a way I saw fit...Who wouldn't? She went to a lovely home, where i got to deliever her which was so pleasing. Didn't feel like I was sending her away. It was a long jorney for her so she had someone fimilar. I have kept in contact with owners which has made all the difference. But to be honest it gets harder with time not more easlier but having visted her earlier this year I felt like shes really landed on her feet, and she their pony. I knew selling her was the right thing to do, and she is better off with them and I am better off with my Irish sports horse.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I think it depends on the horse and what sort of bond you have as to how hard it is.

I have sold about 7 horses, all were difficult. Some more than others. I dont even think it makes a difference the time you've had them. I found it heartbraking to sell a pony Id had for 9 years but then I also very much miss another little pony I only had for 2 months! I always keep in touch with the new owners though and know where every single one of my horses are (except one, but he was only on loan). The owners email me nown and again to keep me up to date which is lovely. I definately recommend it!

The thing I found MOST difficult was seeing the pony Id had for 9 years with his new owners at a show not long after. It was just so weird as I felt he was still mine, yet had to let the "new people" look after my boy!!

It is hard, but you do need to know your doing it for the right reasons, Ive always been 100% certain that its the right thing for the horse involved.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I get over it as soon as the money is in my account. My mother was always really upset about selling ponies but we always had a nice bigger shiny one waiting in the wings so we were never bothered!

juliebrewer

Visit site
I'v sold quite a few ponies. I think something better always comes along. Every horse/pony are different charectors just like people, some you instantly gel with and some you dont. Each one having different qualities..

zoesophie

Visit site
Its not quite the same but a pony I was supposed to be having on perm loan (after helping out owner for a good few years with him) got sold without me knowing! I was actually at Hickstead when I got the call to say he'd gone and I screamed and burst into tears - some people thought I was having a fit I think! I never got to say goodbye to him and thats the worst feeling in the world. I still wonder what hes doing even to this day and this all happened a few years ago!
frown.gif

old_girl

Visit site

I had to sell my mare when I went to uni 8 years ago.
New owners divorced and moved without telling us and we lot touch. Couldnt trace her. I still wonder what happened to her.

I still dream about her several times a week, and I don't think I'll feel the same way about another horse ever.
She was a failed racer, and only ever did minor RC stuff with us, but she was a wonderful horse so loving and sweet and with such a personality. She used to share my 99's at the weekend, though the flake was always mine!