How quickly do saddles decrease in value?

jesterfaerie

Visit site
I am posting because I have recently bought a second hand saddle which is in absolutly fantastic condition apart from a few marks here and there but nothing noticable unless you look for it.
It is a Barnsby saddle I think it is a WH saddle although not 100% on the model.

The reason for asking is that at the moment I am not really liking the saddle that much but part of me feels I don't like it because it wasn't what I set out to buy so it is my own fault (had a particular style and make of saddle in my mind but no-one had them so settled for something different as it fitted him),

If the saddle is kept in it's current condition and I still do not get on with it in say 6 months time and decide to sell would it have decreased much in value? (Cost around £450, so possibly over paid for it anyway I don't rightly know TBH).

scotsmare

www.creativewritingforaliving.co.uk
If it's a WH saddle hang onto till the spring anyway - you'd possibly lose approx £100 depending on fit, condition, age and the market when you try to sell. Sorry
crazy.gif

Janette

Visit site
Like anything, a saddle is only worth what you can get for it. I sold one recently (a VSD) and found that it is a buyers market out there. I lost around £400 on my saddle and it was a year old.

ickelshadow

Visit site
i bought mine for 715, and its quite bespoke as had everything done to it to make it fit shadows back. would probably get a good value for someone looking for that exact type, but not for someone who didnt need it.

the saddle she came with was allegedly made to measure a year before, not a fab make i seem to remember, and cost £300 new. i managed to sell it through a saddler friend, and after he took his cut i got about £230 back
smile.gif
that meant Shadow only cost me £420! bargain of the century! won't mention the £3000 i spent on kitting her out in the first few months of buying her....
blush.gif

jesterfaerie

Visit site
Thanks a lot, was owrried about putting it on the market and only having one offer made on it of £10
smirk.gif

Shadow - £3000
shocked.gif
wow she is one spoilt pony bless
smile.gif
, I almost cried paying out £500 for the saddle and a few extra things for mine
grin.gif

bungalowpickle

Visit site
I've just sold my albion legend k2 dressage saddle plus girth and sheepskin half numnah for £750. Paid £995 for saddle, £95 for girth and £65 for mumnah so not bad really did it a bit cheaper as the person who bought it has been really good to me.

LCobby

Visit site
I bought a good Wh for 300 and sold it 3 yrs later for 350
Its new to secondhand that you ge the big drop.
March or April is best for selling WH and show saddles.
Wide 17 1/2 or 18 sell like hot cakes.

Jade17

Visit site
I have a Stubben event saddle, which is 6months old, but after trusting the saddle fitters! its not the right saddle for him, its causing to much pressure on his back! = the reason i came off and broke my ankle! That saddle is never touching him again! i paid £995 for it and was thinking of advertising it @ £750. Do you think that is reasonable?

lucie1984

Visit site
A slight change of subject but any idea how much my Albion medium jumping saddle would be worth only ised for 6 months and in good condition just been sitting in my house waiting for me to do soemthing with it?!!!

ihatework

Visit site
I'm looking for a second hand saddle at the moment, 17.5" medium fit and a straight cut GP/VSD/WH type. If you do decide to sell please could you let me know.

Thanks

ickelshadow

Visit site
jesterfaerie - i know £3k! and she was 22 as well! but she came with nothing aside from tack and was my first horse. i'd been after her for over 8 years so i'd been planning it for years! feed bowls, water owls, To and indoor rugs, travel boots, headcollars, girths, saddle cloths, bandanges, first aid kit, the list goes on! i brought her at the end of summer so had to stack up on winter rugs at the same time as summer! god i love spending all that money
smile.gif
:):)