How quickly have you moved yards after moving?

mossycup

Visit site
Having bought a new horse, I chose a diy yard, but it's quickly becoming apparent that I need assisted livery. How soon after moving in have you moved out? Not the yards fault at all, so I feel bad for literally just being in the door, and wanting to leave! I have a new stable lined up, but just wanted some reassurance that it's not a crime to move quickly 😂🙈

Abacus

Visit site
I have done so, because I moved and found that it didn't suit me at all (frankly the owners, although nice, were quite strange in the way they did things and I didn't feel comfortable). I went back to my previous yard though. It's no crime to try something and realise it doesn't work for you. I hope your old yard will be understanding and know that it is for a good reason.

atropa

Visit site
I've done it within a couple of days....the yard i moved from was always supposed to be a temporary stopgap until a second stable came up at my original yard....as a previous poster said, it soon became apparent the YOs were a touch odd and my original YO managed to squeeze me in somewhere makeshift

TPO

Visit site
<48hrs. Arrived on the Friday afternoon and left the Sunday afternoon.

Very much the YO lying about everything. We gave notice before visiting twice so things were set up to look correct for that and when we arrived on the Friday it didn't resemble the same set up.

it was the most stressful time trying to find a more suitable yard given that we'd only gone there because of a lack of suitable yards in the first place.

Melody Grey

Visit site
I think it’s par for the course, especially with new horse owners/ new horse. Sometimes you don’t know what you need until you try it and it’s not working. Pay your notice and be civil and i can’t see it being a problem.

dottylottie

Visit site
i moved after 3 weeks - was always supposed to be a temporary move as the original stable wasn’t free yet and i wanted my new pony home! pony coped absolutely fine, she loved the new yard and settled in immediately, and there’s no hard feeling with the YO - i still go up regularly as my mum is there lol

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We bought our first Appaloosa mare and put her on livery. She was a complete nightmare there, just never settled. So after 6 weeks we moved to the yard we stayed at for 10 years, whete she was settled from the beginning. Then we moved the 4 horses that we had by then for 3 months to a friend's farm until we brought them home but that was always meant to be a temporary arrangement until we completed on this property.

Caol Ila

Visit site
My record is four days.

I warned the YO that my horse could be tricky to settle and that she would fencewalk if she got the wrong vibe from her field/paddock, and that it could take a wee bit of faff to find the right vibe. I emphasised this point, more than once. The yard, however, marketed itself as a place for horses with issues and behaviour problems, and the YO assured me, "Oh, we've had some difficult horses here. Trust me, your horse is not difficult."

Aye right. Three days later, she phoned me to tell me that the horse would not stop fencewalking, and she needed to be off the property ASAP. I arranged transport and temporary housing and took her away the following day. I would have been less annoyed if the yard had done less marketing promoting themselves as gods of horsemanship, or if the YO had hedged her bets initially and been more like, "We'll see how it goes."

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
I did exactly the same - bought horse and moved to a lovely diy yard and then found that I couldn’t do diy so had to move to part livery as I needed more assistance than I could ever get at the diy yard. They understood as they just couldn’t provide the help I needed. I left early and they got two weeks livery money from me as a sort of apology for only being there less than a month!

daydreamer

Visit site
I recently got given notice on my stable at the yard I had been at for 6 months because they found out I was on waiting lists at 2 other yards. They did say I could stay on grass livery (on their clay soil, badly fenced, non-poo picked fields) but I left a couple of weeks later after begging the previous yard to take us back. We moved back to our original yard (24/7 grass livery) who said they could only guarantee us about 10 weeks and after that it would depend on the grass. About 4 weeks later we left again as a space came available on a small yard where my instructor keeps her horse so I moved there.

mossycup

Visit site
My record is four days.

I warned the YO that my horse could be tricky to settle and that she would fencewalk if she got the wrong vibe from her field/paddock, and that it could take a wee bit of faff to find the right vibe. I emphasised this point, more than once. The yard, however, marketed itself as a place for horses with issues and behaviour problems, and the YO assured me, "Oh, we've had some difficult horses here. Trust me, your horse is not difficult."

Aye right. Three days later, she phoned me to tell me that the horse would not stop fencewalking, and she needed to be off the property ASAP. I arranged transport and temporary housing and took her away the following day. I would have been less annoyed if the yard had done less marketing promoting themselves as gods of horsemanship, or if the YO had hedged her bets initially and been more like, "We'll see how it goes."

Yeah, new one is a bit tricky too. It won't quite be 4 days but it won't be much more than 2 weeks. Feeling better after all these replies

minesadouble

Visit site
If you're happy with the yard in all other ways it might be worth asking if any of the liveries provide services.
We have a large DIY yard and a few of the liveries post on the farm page offering assistance.

Otherwise you have a valid reason for leaving and you shouldn't feel bad at all about it.

Jambarissa

Visit site
3 days here. Extremely stressy Arab who preferred to be out. YO did morning turnout but refused to put them out until they'd eaten a net of (her expensive) hay, horse wouldn't eat as desperate to go out. YO refused to back down on this and kept her in getting more and more stressed.

I moved a lot in my first year of livery after 10 years of my own place. I had no idea people were so weird until I was on a yard with them.

Art Nouveau

Visit site
2 weeks.
Nothing wrong with the yard, but I'd just bought my horse and it quickly became apparent that the yard wouldn't suit her. I moved and she settled immediately at the new one.

blitznbobs

Visit site
48 hours- i took a youngster for some experience if a big yard and they told me that they could cope with a 3 year old hot youngster … they could not and required me to take her to the field and back (on professional schooling full livery) i took her the first day to show them she was fine just a bit hot… the second day instead of taking her to the field i put her in the horse box
And took her home again… and cancelled the cheque

atropa

Visit site
3 days here. Extremely stressy Arab who preferred to be out. YO did morning turnout but refused to put them out until they'd eaten a net of (her expensive) hay, horse wouldn't eat as desperate to go out. YO refused to back down on this and kept her in getting more and more stressed.

I moved a lot in my first year of livery after 10 years of my own place. I had no idea people were so weird until I was on a yard with them.
Wow....I've heard some weird things in my time but this might almost take the biscuit :eek:

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
3 days. It should have been idyllic, field was just over the road from my new house and had hard standing to feed hay on in winter. Nobody told me about the dominant mare. She drove my horse onto the bare concrete in summer and would not let him off it to eat any grass.

Another was a couple of weeks. The water to the yard froze so they left the horses with one bucket and no refills.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
2 days. I was kicked off with no notice because my gelding broke a fence.

Another was 2 weeks. Barely handled 3yo mare broke through crap electric fencing and took 3 hours to be caught. So they insisted on her being in 24/7. I moved as soon as I found somewhere else.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

So she was charging for the hay she was forcing the horse to eat?