How rare is it to have four dogs or more?

BoggyGirl

Visit site
Following on from the other thread about getting number three? People always seem horrified how many dogs we have and look at me like I am some sort of total lunatic. Currently we only have four there have been a lot more at various junctures. I enjoy them, can afford them they all get walked and all that they need. I find an even number is easier here they seem to pair off. I am not looking for another but they do seem to find me. Just pondering...

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I know people who have up to seven or eight but that's fairly normal for show people. I have three and that's my limit as I live on my own and have no help, the second one wasn't planned, he was given to me, two of them don't get on and one is generally a bit of a knob who needs careful management and handling (can't really leave him with anyone etc), so it makes things like holidays/doing anything spontaneously a bit of a 'mare. I love them all and wouldn't be without them, but I am realistic enough to say that they are a tie. The upside is that they all travel well so I can put them in the car and go anywhere with them if I do need to get away lol and I love our little adventures.

Roxylola

Visit site
I've lived with 3 for years my 2 and not housemates dog, and often had a fourth when my ex stayed etc. They were mixed breeds and sizes and hard work to deal with 4 but the 3 walked well together etc. I do know there are some local by laws that limit you to having a maximum number of dogs so that could make things awkward as a solo walker.
Honestly 3 is easier in a lot of ways if you need to take one somewhere you're not leaving the other alone but they need to get along and it's more to feed, vet etc than 2.
I have a friend with 4 though, shes put a lot of effort in to training with all of them, but her younger 2 are noticeably less outgoing and more fearful than the older ones, could be coincidence but perhaps with that many the dynamics change

teddypops

Visit site
We have 3 but I would have preferred not to have got the 3rd but she was a pathetic, starving and injured stray that no one claimed. She has her paws well and truly under the table and tries to be the boss! I love her but I would only ever have 2 in the future!

kathantoinette

Visit site
We are down to two dogs for the first time in 10 years. We had four for the majority of this time. I loved having 4 dogs but two are easier if we go away and my mums comes to house sit.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
It's not unusual to have more than four dogs, but most of the people I know with multiples have them as working dogs.
For us, two dogs works well. It's easy to take them away with us and when family come to stay with their dogs, we have the space to accommodate them all.

{97702}

Visit site
Only 4?? That’s hardly any! I was brought up in a house where there were usually 12-14 dogs, I’ve had 4 dogs for years and now seem to have increased to 5 dogs (that’s the max my wonderful landlord will allow in my rented house!) and my mum is 81 and still has 6 dogs.

Actually having 4 instead of 5 is turning out to be a logistical nightmare, odd numbers are easier than even in my experience. I can’t wait to get another pointy hound ❤️

Chiffy

Visit site
I have three, a nice number. You can do something with one and the two that are left have each other for company. Mine are all at different levels of training and they learn from each other. I always have bitches, they all get on and no one is the boss, they all have gentle natures. Two flatcoats and a rescue xbred.
Sometimes I have my daughter’s three as well, still all bitches, a greyhound/whippet and two miniature dachshunds. All six get on well but the dachsies recall on a walk is not 100%.....who would have thought it ?

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Yup, in agility circles I am the odd one out for only having three and in sled dog racing a vanful is a standard unit of measurement. Three is nice, they're a tie anyway as I wouldn't leave them in anyone else's care (varied issues) but it means the two oldies get suitable walks together and have each other for company while I do stuff with the youngster. They can also all fit in a decent sized car, if I'd had another big one it's a slippery slope into dog van territory.

When I have visiting spaniels taking the number to five I seem to spend the whole time on turd watch!

tda

Visit site
Well we did have 5 at one point, Parson terriers, mum, dad, and 2 sons, then we inherited my mum's old border collie when she passed away.
Collie and Parsons bitch both gone now, so we are down to 3.
Tbh I'm looking forward to the quietness of one dog ?

Kay Burton

Visit site
It seems to me that this is a personal matter for everyone, at least 4 dogs, at least 10. And no one has the right to blame you for this. This is your own business. If you love dogs so much, then no one cares how you feed them and whether it is difficult for you to provide every dog with decent care.

Widgeon

Visit site
l....in sled dog racing a vanful is a standard unit of measurement.

This did make me laugh. But then I suppose, what's the minimum number of dogs you would ever hitch to a sled? I know you get enormous (to me) teams in some of the big races but is that standard for all sled racing?

windand rain

Visit site
Used to have 7 but only have one daft yellow labrador now, At one time we had 2 newfoundlands, 2 golden retrievers, 2 cavaliers and a german shepherd Willow is our first labrador and will either be the last or followed by another. Love her trainability She is working bred but much more like a show bred one in stature but working brain

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
This did make me laugh. But then I suppose, what's the minimum number of dogs you would ever hitch to a sled? I know you get enormous (to me) teams in some of the big races but is that standard for all sled racing?

I can only speak for UK style dryland racing but I raced with just two, the maximum you'd run competitively here would be eight. There's different vehicle rules (number and placement of wheels and brakes) depending on how many you're running. I would brown my trousers running eight. ? Long distance on snow is a completely different beast with much larger teams.

druid

Visit site
I usually have 5-10, currently 7. Springers - usually 2-3 trialling, a puppy and the picking up team of retired or flunked out triallers. Plus the Manchester terrier aka spawn of satan.