How Rude!!!!!

cob&onion

Visit site
I have left my mobile in the car and OH has gone out. Dressage times for sunday are available tonight between 8 - 10pm, says clearly to call between them times tonight. Chatting to my sister via facebook and she offered to call for me. She got back to me stating the woman was really rude and off-hand and said the times will be on the website WHEN she is ready and if not then IF she has the time she will email me on Saturday?!!

Thing is the same riding club had some dressage on we attended about 2 years ago, the steward who was organizing the test sheets and putting up the results on the board etc was really rude and told us to *go away* and she was *too busy* doing other stuff! then gave us a full on lecture about not wanting to be there that day but having too....................my friend and i complained the next day and we got an apology. Hmmm seems like the same woman is still there then...........
Thing is we are not members of the club, we don't have the time but like to take part on open days/shows etc and we pay the extra money on top of the classes for being a non member.
If i had the time and was a member i wouldn't hesitate to help out.......
Really puts me off going TBH or doing anything with this club.
Thats no way to apeak to people - speaks volumes about the riding club...............:mad:

horse.love92

Visit site
Yes , if it was me I wouldn't bother going to the place again , you aren't paying at a discounted rate to put to with this rude woman ! Shame how some people are in the horsey world

nosenseofdirection

Visit site
Seems ridiculous to me. If the woman cba to deal with enquiries, why tell people to phone between those times? Our local RC(I'm not a member but have entered a few events) post times on their website so no-one has to phone anyone. Presumably this rude woman could have done the same?

nix123

Visit site
It sounds like this woman has "issues" i would just called it down right bl00dy rude! As its a riding club could you get in touch with the chairman or whoever and put in a formal complaint, your sister could do the same maybe that would give her the kick up the backside that she needs. I would go and do the test as you've already paid, but i wouldn't be going again.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
On the other side of the coin, if all the people who don't have time didn't help out at clubs like riding clubs they wouldn't exist. As you've found, the woman who was off-hand doesn't have the time to do it but is trying to ensure that a show goes ahead. Perhaps a better service would be offered to everyone if more people who don't have the time join those who don't have the time but are already helping.

This is from someone who didn't have the time but joined FOUR other people who don't have the time to set up a five ring show for a club with over 100 members. Most of the other members managed to make time in their busy schedules to enjoy competing at the show. Those of us who didn't have the time but managed to get there to set the whole thing up for them didn't have the time to compete because, guess what, the day of the show we were all there running it for their benefit. Of course when it came to clearing it all up again none of the competitors had the time to help with that either because they had horses to do (as though we all didn't) didn't have the time.

Looked at like that you might gather that one person who isn't a member because they don't have the time, who is a bit over officious, hassling for results, wants to know why there isn't someone on lorry parking, someone directing on the road, more than one person manning the minimus ("it wastes SO much time when you have to wait for the steward to put the jumps up, why isn't there an arena party"), why the results aren't out yet, why there's a queue to pay for on the day classes might just push one of a handful of people struggling to manage their own fulltime day jobs with the set up and running of a show with a third of the "volunteers" required to be less than perfectly pleasant.

As for me, I got so fed up with the people who can't possibly lend a hand but have time to come out to a show that they view as organised for their own personal pleasure and then pick holes in things that aren't running perfectly due to lack of helpers that I don't do it any more. So that's another show off the calendar due to lack of volunteers. Why should we all give up days of our time to be treated like muck?

slumdog

Visit site
On the other side of the coin, if all the people who don't have time didn't help out at clubs like riding clubs they wouldn't exist. As you've found, the woman who was off-hand doesn't have the time to do it but is trying to ensure that a show goes ahead. Perhaps a better service would be offered to everyone if more people who don't have the time join those who don't have the time but are already helping.

This is from someone who didn't have the time but joined FOUR other people who don't have the time to set up a five ring show for a club with over 100 members. Most of the other members managed to make time in their busy schedules to enjoy competing at the show. Those of us who didn't have the time but managed to get there to set the whole thing up for them didn't have the time to compete because, guess what, the day of the show we were all there running it for their benefit. Of course when it came to clearing it all up again none of the competitors had the time to help with that either because they had horses to do (as though we all didn't) didn't have the time.

Looked at like that you might gather that one person who isn't a member because they don't have the time, who is a bit over officious, hassling for results, wants to know why there isn't someone on lorry parking, someone directing on the road, more than one person manning the minimus ("it wastes SO much time when you have to wait for the steward to put the jumps up, why isn't there an arena party"), why the results aren't out yet, why there's a queue to pay for on the day classes might just push one of a handful of people struggling to manage their own fulltime day jobs with the set up and running of a show with a third of the "volunteers" required to be less than perfectly pleasant.

As for me, I got so fed up with the people who can't possibly lend a hand but have time to come out to a show that they view as organised for their own personal pleasure and then pick holes in things that aren't running perfectly due to lack of helpers that I don't do it any more. So that's another show off the calendar due to lack of volunteers. Why should we all give up days of our time to be treated like muck?

I do agree with this, it must be really hard work for little rewards. However, still no excuse for the woman to be rude, OP was only asking a reasonable question.

windand rain

Visit site

This applies here too ran a huge show for years without enough help got the point when we all aged too much so our show hit the dust too
Such a shame there are no younger people willing to give a couple of days

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site

I absolutely agree with this, I am no longer a committee member of our RC, because I got thoroughly sick of being one of a handful of people who lugged all the ruddy equipment around and then got spoken to as if someone had just scraped me of their shoe!
I have also stewarded at a local (quite large) agri show, for over 25 years :eek: the way competitors speak to stewards is disgusting, not all of course, but enough of them to make me wonder why they feel that I am the 'hired help', who has no right to ask them to do things (like go in the ring!) Pleae remember all the people you are slagging off and VOLUNTEERS, without them there are no shows!

Janette

Visit site
Personally, I am very grateful to the people who voluntarily give up their time to run shows for the competitors.... But nobody is forcing this woman to do it, and if she doesn't want to do it, then why put herself through it? She won't be the first to say no, and she won't be the last.

But the is NO excuse for rudeness to competitors who have paid entry fees to the club and are therefore customers. In fact, there is never an excuse to be rude.

OP. complain to the organisers. They need to know about the image this person is giving of their club.

windand rain

Visit site
I agree no one should be rude but it can make a saint swear the way some competitors treat the people who run and help at these events

Theocat

Visit site
There is absolutely no excuse for rudeness, and the Club needs to know about this, and why you aren't going back. Don't be surprised if there's nothing they can do, though; it may well be that this woman agreed to give up her time at short notice and without her the event couldn't have gone ahead. Riding Clubs are entirely reliant on people giving up their time (and believe me, no one involved with riding clubs is sitting around wishing they could find a way to fill the hours) - we've been incredibly lucky this year with people offering to give help for our Club, but it isn't always like that. We do everything we can to cut down on helpers so people aren't wasting their time, and we also make things as easy as possible - for example, if someone can give half a day but still wants to compete, we'll arrange the times accordingly so they can fit both in.

Quite honestly, and this is absolutely not aimed at the OP because she isn't a Club member, any member who can find the time to compete twice at a riding club event during the year has the time to help at least once. If it means giving up one day's competition, well, that's what the rest of us do all the time.

OP, find a different, more friendly Club to compete at - and if you can find the time to become a member, and help even for a half day or an evening, I can promise your club will be eternally grateful!

fatpiggy

Visit site

Me and 3 other adults on the committee used to mark up 5 rings the morning before the show and I built the showjumping course (had to drag all the heavy wings and poles out of their storage area in the far corner of the site - considering I have a lower back which looks like it has exploded, that wasn't the best thing for it, believe me. Not one other person ever offered or agree to help. Not even a bit of litter picking at the end or help to take it all apart again. It was a popular and sucessful RC with plenty of members - and therefore plenty of members dads, but no, not a single bit of help from any of them. Unfortuately this is something you see all over the place- ask anyone who is a Scout leader for a start!