how sad and shameful

Luci07

Visit site
A five year ban is terrible ,unless there's a mitigating circumstance that should have been a life ban IMO.

Very slightly off track... Does anyone actually know WHAT the sentences are that can be given? Because we might be saying "only 5 years" when in fact that is the maximum. Obviously I would agree 5 years still seems inappropriate but did wonder if anyone knew what sentencing could be?

Goldenstar

Visit site
Very slightly off track... Does anyone actually know WHAT the sentences are that can be given? Because we might be saying "only 5 years" when in fact that is the maximum. Obviously I would agree 5 years still seems inappropriate but did wonder if anyone knew what sentencing could be?

A life ban is of course the longest they can give and what the RSPCA would be hoping for .
Mitigating circunmtances are taken into account by the magistrates when they decide how long they give.

riding_high

Visit site
just to clarify the people contacted HW (horseworld) and got told that they couldn't do anything as the RSPCA were involved and that was the way to go. WHW were not (as far as I'm aware) contacted for whatever reason but I'm guessing maybe cos the RSPCA were involved it was expected that they would do the right thing. I can only assume that.
there are lots of questions/answers on any local (somerset) FB pages, both horse and non horse related pages. not sure how to link those into this post but I'm sure someone will know and can do it.
this person is someone who works with horses, she also has a business for horsey people, I don't know if I'd be allowed to say it on here so won't. she fooled a number of horse owners.
I have only posted a link to the news report as it does involve horses and there are a number of members who live in the area on here and they may have either used her services in the past or will in future. there are also more pictures on FB pages as well and from what is on there she covered up the health of the horses with rugs so unless you were actually up close to them (RSPCA) then you wouldn't have known just how bad they actually were and those that saw from a distance who knew about animal welfare called the RSPCA almost on a daily basis.

riding_high

Visit site
they were monitoring all her horses, 7 in total at one point. the report failed to mention that one horse was dead in the field already. it had died 2 days before. they did fail the horses but they listened to her and because she works with horses they sort of got sucked in by the sounds of it instead of actually getting their hands and boots dirty to touch all the horses. the horses that survived were taken to HW and look so much better now.

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
Oh my goodness, this isn't easy for me to write and I don't know how much detail I really want to go into right now. I know this person well, we've been friends for some years. Regarding the coloured mare, Hope, the decision had already been made to have her PTS a few days before the RSPCA turned up to take the horses. The date for PTS was on the same day they came. Hope had a lot of issues, not least her terrible fear of being caught. My friend had worked for months to be able to get a rug on her in the worst weather, having got the rug on it became impossible to catch her to remove it after seeing it was a bad fit. Hence the cut on her withers where the rug rubbed and dug in. Believe me we tried! Hope also had terribly deformed front limbs and had been bred from again and again before my friend got her, she was a rescue with the best intentions, when the decision was made to have her PTS we both cried buckets, the poor little mare never really stood a chance in life but she did know care, company, food and love with my friend.

I know the case looks bad on the internet, all the reports show her in a very bad light, but I absolutely promise you she cared very deeply for her horses. She went hungry herself to feed them, she walked miles in the bad weather twice a day to feed them. She'd put her phone number on her gate for anyone to call her if they had any concerns about her horses. There's a big horse community around there, anyone could have offered help, advice or support if they were worried, but no, instead of face to face they'd rather call the welfare people. Some community huh? It's not a case of wilful neglect, it's more that she took on too many horses and it got out of control. I did tell her that. When it all kicked off she was already arranging to sell/loan some of her horses and find a more manageable premises. All the Facebook stuff that's going round is full of the most dreadful vitriolic hatred, it's actually quite scary. She's just someone who took on too much and is paying the price.....

joeanne

Visit site
Its not really an excuse though Gala is it?
Hording is not an acceptable excuse at any time when an animal is suffering. Why did the mare have a rug on, if she knew catching it on a daily basis to check underneath it would be nigh on impossible?
Thats neglect.....pure and simple. You take on an animal, you be sure you can look after it....properly!
I have no sympathy for the woman....only the horses i'm afraid. Whilst I am sure she is a very nice lady.....the fact remains, she is a very nice lady who allowed her horses to get into such a mess they needed to be PTS. Inexcusable.

ELFSBELLS

Visit site
Oh my goodness, this isn't easy for me to write and I don't know how much detail I really want to go into right now. I know this person well, we've been friends for some years. Regarding the coloured mare, Hope, the decision had already been made to have her PTS a few days before the RSPCA turned up to take the horses. The date for PTS was on the same day they came. Hope had a lot of issues, not least her terrible fear of being caught. My friend had worked for months to be able to get a rug on her in the worst weather, having got the rug on it became impossible to catch her to remove it after seeing it was a bad fit. Hence the cut on her withers where the rug rubbed and dug in. Believe me we tried! Hope also had terribly deformed front limbs and had been bred from again and again before my friend got her, she was a rescue with the best intentions, when the decision was made to have her PTS we both cried buckets, the poor little mare never really stood a chance in life but she did know care, company, food and love with my friend.

I know the case looks bad on the internet, all the reports show her in a very bad light, but I absolutely promise you she cared very deeply for her horses. She went hungry herself to feed them, she walked miles in the bad weather twice a day to feed them. She'd put her phone number on her gate for anyone to call her if they had any concerns about her horses. There's a big horse community around there, anyone could have offered help, advice or support if they were worried, but no, instead of face to face they'd rather call the welfare people. Some community huh? It's not a case of wilful neglect, it's more that she took on too many horses and it got out of control. I did tell her that. When it all kicked off she was already arranging to sell/loan some of her horses and find a more manageable premises. All the Facebook stuff that's going round is full of the most dreadful vitriolic hatred, it's actually quite scary. She's just someone who took on too much and is paying the price.....

What about the chestnut gelding ??

mightymammoth

Visit site
Its not really an excuse though Gala is it?
Hording is not an acceptable excuse at any time when an animal is suffering. Why did the mare have a rug on, if she knew catching it on a daily basis to check underneath it would be nigh on impossible?
Thats neglect.....pure and simple. You take on an animal, you be sure you can look after it....properly!
I have no sympathy for the woman....only the horses i'm afraid. Whilst I am sure she is a very nice lady.....the fact remains, she is a very nice lady who allowed her horses to get into such a mess they needed to be PTS. Inexcusable.

couldn't have put it better myself and the fact she is still selling her "stuff" on facebook and still practicing her "trade" (I assume she is) doesn't sit well with me. If I bought some of her stuff or she came to my horse and I found out what shes done to her own horses I would be fuming.

Marydoll

Visit site

Im sorry but that a poor excuse, if you cant deal with your horses to that extent you aknowledge it and get someone in who can

Goldenstar

Visit site
Gala , I salute you for coming on here to defend your friend .
But there is no excuse , I dare say she loved her horses I had the same thing said said to me with complete sincerity when was a welfare officer but a horse does not care jot if you love it it just wants (and the law requires that ) its needs are met.
lack of common sense is no excuse for causeing suffering like this.
I know people are with probally with some cause on the RSPCAs case over this but only person really responsible for horses in this condition is the owner and or the person giving the care.
As for the local horsey community often welfare issues are dealt with without even a call to the charities however it's not anyone else's responsibility it's hers and hers alone .
She's going to have to live with that for ever .
But bless you for standing by her.

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
The chestnut gelding had a bad worm damage and an infestation that couldn't be removed using regular wormers, not known until the PM.

OK, look, I'm not defending her any more than I'm saying she got what was coming, I'm just saying there is more to this case than meets the eye. She tried bloody hard to keep her herd going, she messed up, she knows that, but it wasn't for lack of trying. She made the classic mistake of taking on more than she could cope with but honestly? Who in the horse world hasn't done that at some point?

Ibblebibble

Visit site
The chestnut gelding had a bad worm damage and an infestation that couldn't be removed using regular wormers, not known until the PM.

OK, look, I'm not defending her any more than I'm saying she got what was coming, I'm just saying there is more to this case than meets the eye. She tried bloody hard to keep her herd going, she messed up, she knows that, but it wasn't for lack of trying. She made the classic mistake of taking on more than she could cope with but honestly? Who in the horse world hasn't done that at some point?

errr I haven't and i don't personally know anyone who has either!! that's the most pathetic excuse for neglect that I've ever heard!! to be able to see the skeleton of a horse through it's rug is not just caused by worm damage, it's neglect pure and simple, there is no defense of her, there is no defense of any person who willfully neglects an animal by refusing to call a vet to one so obviously in need.

risky business

Visit site
She made the classic mistake of taking on more than she could cope with but honestly? Who in the horse world hasn't done that at some point?

Um quite a lot of people manage to not make this mistake..

Sorry for coming across harsh but we all love horses and we most likely would all love a great big herd of the beasts all to ourselves. But we don't as financial/ time whatever reason you want to bring up means we only have a number we can care for so not to cause suffering.

I'd have respect if she was finding it hard and found the horses new homes, gave them up to charities or even put them to sleep to get the situation and suffering under control. But did she? No..

No excuse I'm afraid hope she learns some serious life lessons from this and decides to not own another horse again!

Goldenstar

Visit site
She made the classic mistake of taking on more than she could cope with but honestly? Who in the horse world hasn't done that at some point?

No sorry I have not and so have not most of us.
Why did the chestnut not have WEC that would shown that he had a resistance problem .
The one time I became overtired I had ten .
I was feeding them worming them caring for them
They all looked great i looked crap ,they had every care I stopped breeding from mare and worked through the ones I had until I had six which was fun.
If you can't afford the labour and food to keep a herd don't have one .

MasterBenedict

Visit site
Well IMO overweight can be just as neglectful as underweight.....sorry gala, I know only too well how it feels when someone close to you comes under scrutiny for welfare issues but look at the bare facts, no emotions involved. This situation was completely unacceptable and avoidable....poor horses.

Goldenstar

Visit site
On the vet report her 4 horses taken into care by the RSPCA were found to be overweight. In February. Overweight. Starved? Neglected? Don't think so.

Being overwieght is neglect as well .
Are you saying she met the needs of the chesnut gelding ? had the vet been out and advised ,looked at WEC ?
She is responsible for her horses no one else ,having six kids and only beating one does not make you a good parent.

riding_high

Visit site
the horses were removed from her back at the start of the year, those photos on FB are of the horses the day they were all removed or PTS, how the hell is that overweight??? what about the horse that died in the field a couple of days before? what about the fact she was "rescuing" another horse only a couple of months ago, AFTER her others were removed?? none of what you say makes sense and in fact just shows that you were sucked in by her as well. I spoke to her only a few days after another horse (that she had on loan) was removed from her care, she told people that the horse went to her with heavy worm burden and was unable to gain weight regardless of what she tried yet only a couple of months after being in the care of HW the horse gained weight and was shown not to have any worm burden.
people have the right to defend her, to stand by her. it's a free country but people also have the right to say it how it is.
she was telling people about how Hope was doing really well and was now a catchable horse, one of those people was the person who collected hope for her. so it seems that she told people what she thought they wanted to hear and not the truth or the facts.
the horse community and anyone else all offered help but they got fed up with being told where to stick their noses. a friend of mine used to stop there every day to give some carrots, she's not a horsey person but could clearly see they wanted food. Louis for me is the saddest of the living horses, he had (what she told people) a broken pelvis and needed to be on flat land to recover, he was always jumping out the field looking for food and she was riding him in competitions.
if he didn't have a broken pelvis then fine to ride but why was she telling people he was so bad if he wasn't. these people gave their side to the RSPCA and a lot also had written proof from her which they handed over as well. this isn't a recent thing, the horses were removed earlier this year. the dead horse (Rhiannon) was a stunning palomino with so much going for her, yet months later she's dead. again lots of excuses have gone around by her and her "friends" saying what really happened. same as when the horses were removed, she told people so many different things.
I'm sorry but it really makes me angry because I know how badly she has lied to cover her own back and I know the facts.

Cluny

Visit site
Ms Knight has always sailed pretty close to the edge when its come to her horses, money has always been an issue, but common sense was in pretty short supply. She should have stuck with the one horse that she started with (the lovely Kira) but once she manage to rent that field for a cheap amount, she started filling it with too many horses that she really could not afford.

It breaks my heart that the lovely Rhiannon perished (I remember when she was bought from the breeder) and Lui her big WB (who she bought from his very well known owner, who thought she would give him a super home) was jumping out of his field desperate to find food.

There is no excuse, Ms Knight was a trained EP, she knew about nutrition and what she did was despicable.