How should hooves wear?

Apalacia01

Visit site
Farrier just came out to trim my shoeless beast. She had been in Natural balance shoes but we took these off. Apparently she is wearing to the outside of her hinds.

Anyone any ideas of if this is normal?

hellybelly6

Visit site
It could be her conformation/gait. The only way to know for sure is by x-ray.

My horse was lame and it turned out he had a foot imbalance due to side bone. We would not have known this without x-rays.

Is it one or both hinds?

Cop-Pop

Visit site
My TBx was wearing her's down more on one side that the other because her back was slightly out - the farrier spotted it before it became a problem
cool.gif

Nailed

Visit site
i would be very amazed if there is a single horse in this world who wears it shooves in balance..

Yes it is normal, conformation dictates that the hind hoofs of the horse turn out slightly.. there for more weight is born on the outside.. therefore more wear.

Lou x

Apalacia01

Visit site
She had hock spavin so was just checking that he wasn't lying to me! Thanks for the responses. I just was worried when he took her shoes off, but he said that it was normal for them to wear to the outside, and meant that she was using her back end? (That may be tosh but made me smile as she has been working so well)

Nailed

Visit site
No.. beleive it or not.. farriers dont talk b*&&%x... lol

It is a sign that she is useing it and it is perfectly normal..

Only worry abotu it when your farrier is.. till then stop stressin..

Lou x

Diggerdog

Visit site
Don't worry! Wearing her hooves this way is actually a good thing. She will end up with the foot balance that she needs, if she is allowed.

When we try to impose a "perfect" foot shape on a horse with arthritic changes, it can actually make the problem worse as they try to compensate.

Diggerdog

Visit site
Oh Boy! That's a loaded question!

Without seeing your horse's feet in person, plus a full history, it is very hard to say.

My older horse has arthritic changes in both hocks and was on a variety of joint supplements and pain killers while he was shod. Now that he is fully transitioned to barefoot, he no longer needs anything at all and is moving so much better.

Barefoot is not an easy option though, you have to consider terrain, daily care and feeding much more than with a shod horse. Talk it over with your farrier and/or a qualified barefoot trimmer, but it would be my preferred route now.

Good luck whatever you decide!