How soon can I start riding after being concussed?

SecretAgentBilly

Visit site
Hi all,
I fell off the horse I share showjumping on Wednesday, got concussed (i don't know how badly, but I can't remember falling off:eek:) and then went to hospital to get it all checked out. I want to start riding as soon as possible so if anyone has any advice on how long I should wait I would be really grateful.
Thanks, xx

Littlelegs

Visit site
I usually follow the theory that if I can walk about etc as normal without feeling light headed or dizzy then ridings ok. Have tried it at the dizzy stage as a kid but had to get off. I'm no health expert though!

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I think it's forty-eight hours, so long as all is well, ie no nausea, vomiting, light-headedness, but don't quote me on that!

Try an organization called Headline. They're very helpful.

Hope you're feeling ok soon!

Marydoll

Visit site
I know people will think im being over careful but get checked again by your doc on Mon, if all clear, go for it, but id still get checked, dont mess about with head injuries

popeyesno1fan

Visit site
I'm an evil bit*h, I am. My sister took a tumble on hard ground last year, hunter trialing, got more or less straight back up, and went on the rest of the course. As spectators, we ran from where we were to see her coming home, and found her standing in her stirrups, pulling like mad, saying whoooooooaaa, while her team-mate had pulled up. I didnt have a clue what went on, but when they both came back, she had no idea where she was. She got carted off in an ambulance, but i'd have left her, she was grand after a few hours. had a huge row with my other sister, who wanted her wrapped in cottonwool. Jez, I've been concussed loads, and never gone to hospital, but figured out afterwards, ny sister only threw her toy out of the pram because it was their horse she fell off, so were scared. she was fine, she was back riding the day after. xx

Katyharriet

Visit site
I'd leave it a day or two... I rode after around 12 hours... gave me a false sense of confidence and off I jollied round the field ... only to land on my head ... again:eek:

cheeryplatypus

Visit site
I got told a week by my GP last time. I felt drunk for two days though, it was quite bad.
The real danger is if you hit your head again while it's not fully healed. I'd be careful, you only have one brain! Make sure you're 100% before riding again.