How thick is the sheepskin on a Mattes saddlepad?

McFluff

Visit site
Hi, thinking of getting a Mattes saddlepad - looking at the half-lined version. Does anyone know how think these are? Saddle fits well so I've been told by saddler to use lighter-weight versions (e.g. The light weight Lemieux). Looking at Mattes due to choice in colour and their excellent reputation.

teresagarsden

Visit site
I love mine, its not really thick as my saddle fits well. I use it for showing too. Got mine off ebay for £8 and it has front and rear risers that ican fit into it.

McFluff

Visit site
Awww, thanks for replies. Money stays safe. Maybe I just need to persuade Lemieux to make the lightweight one in different colours!

Rocky01

Visit site
Mattes is thick wool but thinner skin so reasonably flexible. Le Mieux is thick hide/skin and the thinner ones have less dense hair too so not much in the way of shock absorption. Christ is not too thick and pretty flexible so a decent option. Fleeceworks have two options, wool (easy care) or sheepskin, neither have thick backing material (either thinner hide or material) but reasonable short dense wool (not as thick at Mattes but enough to be good shock absorption). Nuumed have decent wool so not thick but easy to care for.