How to ‘go with’ the horse when jumping

PeachnRo38197

New User
Visit site
I’m a novice rider who is very out of practice. I used to ride a lot when I was younger. Didn’t go near the sport for 15 years and now here I am again!

I’m only just getting back in to jumping and a 70cm straight pole would be enough to put me on edge (15 years ago you probably could have doubled it and I’d have given it a go). But I’m having a huge issue with anticipating the fence. I’ll see a perfect stride and 9 times out of 10 my horse will do it, but that 1 time out of 10 when he might take a long stride, because I’m anticipating that perfect stride, I always get left behind, and on landing I’m really unbalanced and have fallen twice because of this.

My horse is an absolute saint, it’s not his fault it’s mine! Do you guys have any recommendations for exercises or grid work or just plain and simple advice that can help me stop anticipating the jump and instead just go with the horse when he takes off?

I know it sounds so silly, and it probably just comes with practice but it really takes a toll on my confidence and I would just love to be able to get back to the way I used to be!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
The greatest piece of advice about jumping I was ever given was to look over the fence, not at it.

Hope that helps, but well done for giving it a go ?

Last edited:

Bernster

Visit site
It’s my default as well if we go off a long stride or I’m feeling defensive. A few things that help me - a placing pole before the fence which makes me ride it all the way to the take off (you may need someone on the ground to help with the pole to make sure it’s in the right spot for the horses canter stride), neck strap (hold with one finger is enough to stop me tilting back), def look past the fence and into the distance, plan your exit, and think about going forward very slightly as the horse jumps. Make sure your stirrups are short enough, practice your 3 point seat to get your balance.

But when you’re first working on this stuff, try to think of just 1 or 2 things as otherwise you’ll have overload. For me, it’s breathing, using the neck strap, and going forward over the fence. The rest I can work on when I’ve got better at those.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Easier said than done but relax. At 70cm you can trust your horse to sort themselves out so try not to nag with your hands. My pony jumps much better when I leave her to it. And as YCBM says, look over the jump!

windand rain

Visit site
Keep your legs down through your stirrups don't let them swing back, and push your bum back to fold your top half forward don't throw your hips in front of the saddle most overbalancing is because you get your center of gravity too far forward over a 70cm jump being in balance is all that is needed your hands can go forward as you fold without throwing the reins away or socking the horse in the mouth Dont pull your hands into your tummy

ohmissbrittany

Visit site
Gymnastics are great, or a placing pole with some experienced help. You can actually "force the issue" with a placement pole to help make your takeoff a little longer to practice. If ever I'm in doubt, I use a finger or two to grab a bit of mane. The horse jumping will pull you along with it and help you "catch up" or at least not get catapulted back. :)

tda

Visit site
A good steady canter is important, my instructor used to make me go round the outside track and alternate between sitting to canter and out of the seat, it really gets you used to switching between balance
Also make sure your stirrups are short enough

PeachnRo38197

New User
Visit site
The greatest piece of advice about jumping I was ever given was to look over the fence, not at it.

Hope that helps, but well done for giving it a go ?

Apologies for only getting back to this thread now, but I got a new jumping instructor and he tells me this all the time and it has made such a huge difference in my jumping. Thank you!

PeachnRo38197

New User
Visit site
It’s my default as well if we go off a long stride or I’m feeling defensive. A few things that help me - a placing pole before the fence which makes me ride it all the way to the take off (you may need someone on the ground to help with the pole to make sure it’s in the right spot for the horses canter stride), neck strap (hold with one finger is enough to stop me tilting back), def look past the fence and into the distance, plan your exit, and think about going forward very slightly as the horse jumps. Make sure your stirrups are short enough, practice your 3 point seat to get your balance.

But when you’re first working on this stuff, try to think of just 1 or 2 things as otherwise you’ll have overload. For me, it’s breathing, using the neck strap, and going forward over the fence. The rest I can work on when I’ve got better at those.

Thank you! I completely agree with what you say about not overloading yourself with things. I changed instructors last month and my new one makes Me pick two things to work on in that session and then I don’t worry about anything else but then two things - the following week he reminds me of my goals of the previous week but we mainly focus on my new goals for the new session. It has made such a difference. Same thing goes for not looking at the jump, but over it. Also yes, I thought I was great after a month of riding when I didn’t have to hold the neck strap anymore but I’ve reverted back to it now (I just don’t have to rely on it anymore) and find not only has it stopped me getting left behind as much, but also stops my upper body going too forward in my jumping position!

PeachnRo38197

New User
Visit site
Have you tried building “courses” over poles on the ground and working on it that way?

A coach recently remarked that we can’t physically jump our horses enough to get the practice we need as riders, it’s too hard on them - and suggested working over poles on the ground as an alternative.
I started doing this after I saw your comment a few months ago and it’s been such a brilliant idea. When I’m doing polework I dot a few poles around the arena and it has certainly improved my striding and my eye for seeing distances!