How to build a mare back up

deevil18

New User
Visit site
To cut the story short after a big break in horses I ended up buying a mare from the sales recently

16.2hh warmblood x

10years old apparantly jumped in the past but last two years been bred.

She is underweight and no topline and sunken in backend

I've left her a couple weeks and done nothing with her but let her gain some weight and trust with me.

I lunged her last night for just a couple mins on each rein and that's it .

So she's turned out 10hrs on good grass , as much grass as she can eat over night and small feed of chop and half scoop of build up cubes on a night. I will be upping the feed over the next week .

So ... as she's still underweight and needs muscle I will not be attempting to ride her for a while yet .

How can I strengthen her back and hind legs will lunging be enough ?

Thanks

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Lunge work in hard work.

I would leave her until she looks better and then start hacking, just 15 minutes to start and then build it up as you would for a hunter coming in. Hills in walk are good for strengthening the hind end.

southerncomfort

Visit site
If you don't want to ride, how about leading out in hand. I used to walk for miles with my youngster and we were both very fit by the end! :) Really good way to get to know each other too.

rowan666

Visit site
Small feeds a few times a day, Alfa A oil is great for condition (although many are intolerant to it) can you put our hay/haylege in the field? Although you say good grazing extra forage is always helpfull. Have teeth been checked and ulcers/mineral deficiency ruled out? Lots of inhand pole/hill work is good for top line

Izzwizz

Visit site
I would worm her now she's settled in, cover for tapeworm within that. Walk her out in hand, I would avoid lunge work as its hard on them, esp their joints. When looking a bit better and before riding, get her some physio and check out she has no pain anywhere before sitting on her. Get her teeth checked out and presumably you will get her feet checked out. Good luck!

lornaA

Visit site
As previously suggested lunging and leading out in hand. Bit of in hand work in an arena and long reining maybe. I would just keep the work pretty slow so she isn't sweating and using up all the energy you are feeding her to put weight on. Micronaised linseed is quite handy for putting weight on them without making them fizzy.