How to cause a serious accident/generate large vets bills

RunToEarth

Visit site
I saw a rider this morning who, to put it lightly, appeared to be either hugely lacking in brain cells or trying to recreate the accident scene in the horse whisper.

If it is snowing in your part of the world today, and you really NEED to ride your horse - can I politely suggest not hacking out on an icy, snow covered stretch of hilly road in rush hour traffic in a cream jacket, on a grey with no hi viz on, and then riding aggressively in the middle of the road to prevent the traffic behind you maintaining a speed that would allow them to get up said stretch of snowy road.

I don't mean to be a fun sponge or anything, it just doesn't strike me as a particularly sensible idea.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
and the fact that someone who is driving fast enough to get up said hill doesn't spot you very quickly- it will be hard to avoid you if you are in the middle of the road.

Follysmum

Visit site
Idiots, why does anyone have to ride out in the ice/snow. Not worth it IMO. Roads are bad enough to ride on in good weather.

Equi

Visit site
I took my little mare for a novelty drive in my field. I would NEVER ride on the road in the snow and i really don't think anyone needs to ride that much that they must too.

RunToEarth

Visit site
Yes, I did think idiot to myself!

Terrible but I'm also wondering where you found a hill in Lincolnshire?! Being from a flat part of the county myself!

Haha, well I do actually live in one of the "cliff edge" villages of Lincolnshire, however I'm working in Yorkshire today - hence lots of snow and lots of hills (and if I may say so, as a former south Yorkshire dweller - lots of idiots!)

Dappledpony

Visit site
Ahh, I'm just South of Lincoln but unless I box 5 miles to Waddingon/Harmston etc there isn't the slightest hint of a hill! Not good for fittening!

DJ

Visit site
Another Lincs dweller here, former hill Yorkie, and by 'eck I do miss those hills for fittening work tha knows ... you`re lucky to have 2 or 3 RTE

Flicker

Visit site
OP, your post reminds me of a rider I saw near Warham last year. It was a beautiful summer's day and she was riding down the winding road overhung with trees casting lovely dappled shade, on a lovely dappled grey horse and wearing a black vest and black joddies. The MOD couldn't have camouflaged them better.
She didn't notice me slowly passing her in my car, because she was too busy texting...

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
OP, your post reminds me of a rider I saw near Warham last year. It was a beautiful summer's day and she was riding down the winding road overhung with trees casting lovely dappled shade, on a lovely dappled grey horse and wearing a black vest and black joddies. The MOD couldn't have camouflaged them better.
She didn't notice me slowly passing her in my car, because she was too busy texting...

I used to see a rider near me who did that. Bay horse, rider always in muted brown/green etc and big hedgerows.... I always wondered if she is trying to hide (maybe bunking off work or something!)

The one near me who is always - and I mean always - texting rides a coloured so hopefully a bit more visible? . My kids are always incensed and tell me how stupid she is. Hopefully they will remember that when they are old enough to hack alone!