How to clean hi viz?

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I am sure I read on here somewhere about the best methods to get stubborn marks off hi viz jackets. I can't find it - please can someone point me int he right direction or even better give me your tips to get my Horseware jacket clean. It is just a grubby mess and normal washing hasn't shifted half the yard stains at all. I had the same problem with a hi viz gilet that I chucked away in the end - what is it about Hi Viz material that hangs onto the dirt?

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Virtually all hi vis clothing should be washed in cold water and with like colors. Before you throw your high visibility pants and reflective button up shirts in the washing machine, be sure to turn them inside out first! If you forget to do this, reflective tape can more easily tear or fade, even on the gentle cycle

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I think I might risk it TTK and see if that works, I have been thinking of trying that as I love the stuff for cleaning up almost anything stained - if it strips it of hi viz reflection - well I can just keep it for the yard and not riding.

still standing

Visit site
I was so fed up with the dirty yellow look that I decided to go all or nothing. I washed my horse's hi viz fetlock wraps, which were incredibly stained, in the machine at 60* hot & they came out remarkably clean and still hi-viz with reflective strip OK. I did use a non-bio tablet as well. Might be worth chancing it?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
My hi viz seems to come up pretty clean after I chuck it in the wash (delicates cycle, non bio, 30c or 40c). I do try and only wear the jackets and human clothing for riding and not for general yard jobs, though, it hangs on a hook by the bridle to go on/come off last and first thing.

I dress the line at a getting a hi viz air vest though, even Hit Air warned me that they get proper grubby :eek:, so mine’s a black one.

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
You have to becareful of the backing , it is coated with a material to make it waterproof and that is what breaks down first. It cracks and peels off, same as horse rugs if you are too harsh with the washing on those, you can't always see it the damage as it's behind the linings.
Most hi viz is of a woven nature, might look like it's a solid mass like plastic but most is woven and that's how the stains get in, leech into the fibres and through the weave. When I was making and selling Locatas out of hi viz and I got stains on the damn material before they were made (grubby workshop-yes my fault-leather stain for one) I used fabreeze (no, VANISH) edited !! on the stains, dabbed it on and left it for a few mins and it lifted the stains out then I washed the material in a cold wash, just take care you don't leave the fabreeze on too long. The silver reflective tape, if sewn on well, won't be harmed in a washing machine as long as it's not too hot, try to keep the fabreeze off that though.
Oz-in his saddlery workshop, supposed to be working :)

Last edited:

asmp

Visit site
I dress the line at a getting a hi viz air vest though, even Hit Air warned me that they get proper grubby :eek:, so mine’s a black one.

I’m probably tempting fate but I’m impressed that I’ve managed to keep my hi viz Hit Air vaguely clean, even after over 2 years of use. It stays in an Aldi bag until I’m ready to ride and then goes straight back in after I get off.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
thanks a million OZ - I am now remembering that perhaps it was you answer I saw once on a previous thread. the only Febreeze I know of is the fresh air spray - do they do some sort of stain remover too?

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
thanks a million OZ - I am now remembering that perhaps it was you answer I saw once on a previous thread. the only Febreeze I know of is the fresh air spray - do they do some sort of stain remover too?
No it's not fabreeze, my mistake VANISH that what I was thinking of , busy and not thinking :) just becareful with it as it's based on bleach
Better get on with some work, making duffle bags :) have a good day all, Oz

peanut

Visit site
I spray the dirty bits with Vanish and then wash at 40 degrees. I do this with jackets and leg wraps etc and everything comes out really clean.

Andie02

Visit site
Another thing to bear in mind is that its the rubbing together in the wash that also gets things clean, so best to shove a decent load in rather than a small load. Scrubbing ( with a softish brush) with Rugwash, as in pre treating and leaving for a while before washing with Rugwash, because of the waterproofing properties, should also work for getting things clean. Waterproof items should not be washed any hotter than 30 degrees.