How to clip feathers?

cobsarefab

Visit site
My mare is so heavily feathered and they just need
To come off now what clippers would you use (no electricity) and what sedative? She will definately need one!what they'd have to cut off:

Last edited:

ihatework

Visit site
You will need proper clippers (as opposed to trimmers) for cob feathers. There are a few models that come with a battery pack.

If you are sure cob will be tricky then I'd go domesdan rather than sedalin

doodle

Visit site
Domosedan is about £40 a go. Light duty clippers will not be heavy duty enough. Even my bosses cob who had her legs clipped every month made the less heavy duty clippers struggle. So you are looking at £300. If you have no electric you need the. Artery operated ones which will be an extra £100. If you are planning to spend this amount of money you would be better spending it on getting her a companion!

MissTyc

Visit site
Beautiful feathers. If they must come off (the pity!), then might be worth investing in vet sedation and professional clipper to come take them off. You'll need heavy duty clippers and you won't want her fidgeting for her own safety and that of the handler (and the clippers!).

cobsarefab

Visit site
Beautiful feathers. If they must come off (the pity!), then might be worth investing in vet sedation and professional clipper to come take them off. You'll need heavy duty clippers and you won't want her fidgeting for her own safety and that of the handler (and the clippers!).

Well, when we got her her feathers were so tangled and matted we couldn't get through them without risking severe injury. If there is any product which will allow us to get through them that would be a better option.

Hexx

Visit site
Pig oil! This is what the shire and Clydesdale showing people use. You can get it from the tack shop. You will need to run the oil through the feathers with a comb, and then just keep it topped up. Also helps prevent mud fever and build up of mud on the feathers.

If she really doesn't want you to touch her legs, I would suggest sedation for the first time and then its a case of repetition repetition repetition - little bit every day until she gets used to you messing around with her legs. Reward for good behaviour, ignore bad.

Ps - it's not made from pigs!

Leo Walker

Visit site
You couldnt really handle my cobs legs when I got him. He used to bite and kick and fling himself about. He had huge sores from mites all down them though. I treated the mites and clicker trained him and you can now handle his legs with no issues. He is petrified of having them clipped though as previously he has had them done under sedation. I'm working with him now and he is improving. Its very slow progress, but I did about 1/3 of one leg today with no issues before it got too much.

I wouldnt want to try and do them properly without IV sedation. I think anything else and it wouldnt be safe for me or him. You definitely need heavy duty cordless clippers as well, and you will need to be quick and not faff about. Its not a job for someone who has never clipped before.

In your shoes I would wash them really well with Dermoline, get her a Dectomax jab, use some Deosect and then cover the legs with neem oil. I'd repeat that every 10 days for the next 30 days, and then keep on top of it from that point.

cobsarefab

Visit site
If she does not want you to touch her legs she may have sores under that feather.
She had some really old sores when she came to us and had mites. We treated the sores the way the vet suggested and got eid of her
Mites using diatamatious earth. She is now
Mite free and the sores have healed but the sores looked like they were made
By a human so that may be why she doesn't like having them touched.

Cahill

Visit site
mites burrow so even after getting rid of them the skin will be a rough/thickened,like scar tissue and always prone to cracking so will need pig oil or something similar applied often.

Amicus

Visit site
I've managed a reasonable job (good enough not to be embarrassing but not show worthy) with a decent pair of round ended scissors and a comb.

Leo Walker

Visit site
DE wont get rid of mites. It usually kills off any adults, but then the eggs hatch and theres another infestation within days. The scarring it leaves behind can be prone to infection as well. I will put money on her having mites. It makes the legs very painful to the touch which is why they react so strongly.

If its definitely just matted then get one of these and comb them through, it will thin them and take any matts out with minimum fuss and discomfort:

https://www.******.co.uk/Smart_Groo..._find=150767&gclid=CPy9g9y02dQCFW677QodxXQFvQ

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Once you have the feathers off they will still grow like billy-o and need doing again very regularly to keep a good look. Hopefully once the skin is healed then she won't resent it as much.

cobsarefab

Visit site
DE wont get rid of mites. It usually kills off any adults, but then the eggs hatch and theres another infestation within days. The scarring it leaves behind can be prone to infection as well. I will put money on her having mites. It makes the legs very painful to the touch which is why they react so strongly.

If its definitely just matted then get one of these and comb them through, it will thin them and take any matts out with minimum fuss and discomfort:

https://www.******.co.uk/Smart_Groo..._find=150767&gclid=CPy9g9y02dQCFW677QodxXQFvQ

Link doesn't work

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Gosh those are some feathers!

If clipping for the first time, and/or she is iffy about her legs, then personally I would play safe and sedate........ then, unless you can hire some clippers, I'd get a professional in to do the job TBH.

My cob has feathers, tho' not as heavy as yours OP, and I do have a battery-powered set of Liveryman Harmony clippers, but frankly they wouldn't clip a baby's bum-fluff off let alone a set of heavy feathers. I do use the finer blade to clip the dog!!! - otherwise they'd be on e-bay.

Fools Motto

Visit site
I would sedate and get a professional in to do them. It may take one go or 4, but it will enable you to be comforting her at her head, (distraction perhaps?) while the pro gets on with it. They should also know what they are doing.
You don't want to escalate it into a 'bad' experience.
Lovely feathers, good luck.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I use Lister liberties with a battery pack. They very easily do our cobs legs which admittedly are not as feathered as yours but thick non the less!
I chop and hack at first! Then neaten with the clippers and a comb.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Link doesn't work

https://www.totallysmart.co.uk/prod/smart-tails-yellow-handle-fine

It wont let me link to ****** where they are slightly cheaper. This should work though.

If its just clippers and scissors she objects to she should be fine with this, its just like a brush in its action. Not quite sure how her feather has gotten so matted? I dont think I have ever had one where its done that and I've had a few with lots of feather. Have you not been able to brush her?

Sparemare

Visit site
Our vet offers a sedation and clipping service. For the first time I would see if your vet will do similar. Not something I would attempt on my own.

Bojingles

Visit site
You couldnt really handle my cobs legs when I got him. He used to bite and kick and fling himself about. He had huge sores from mites all down them though. I treated the mites and clicker trained him and you can now handle his legs with no issues. He is petrified of having them clipped though as previously he has had them done under sedation. I'm working with him now and he is improving. Its very slow progress, but I did about 1/3 of one leg today with no issues before it got too much.

I wouldnt want to try and do them properly without IV sedation. I think anything else and it wouldnt be safe for me or him. You definitely need heavy duty cordless clippers as well, and you will need to be quick and not faff about. Its not a job for someone who has never clipped before.

In your shoes I would wash them really well with Dermoline, get her a Dectomax jab, use some Deosect and then cover the legs with neem oil. I'd repeat that every 10 days for the next 30 days, and then keep on top of it from that point.

I'd agree with this. Sadly mites are rarely cleared for good - they need constant maintenance. I think in your shoes, I'd get the vet out to sedate her and pay a pro to whip them off. Once you've established what you're dealing with and treated her legs (she sounds likely to have had chronic infestation and therefore very sore legs) you can decide whether to keep them off or not. She does have lovely feather.

Bojingles

Visit site
Just to add, how do you know she doesn't now have mites? Don't expect to see them, as they burrow beneath the skin. Keep an eye out for scratching and stamping. Good luck, I've had 2 with mites and have just given up and removed the environment!

jojo5

Visit site

Agree with Leo here - I'm sure you have worked really hard with the DE but she will almost certainly have them still under her skin, especially if her feathers did not receive much attention before you got her. They are very difficult indeed to eradicate totally once they are there.
You are also getting good advice re thinking carefully about totally clipping the feathers out - this will make a very big job on a very regular basis to keep them looking good.
It is possible to 'manage' mites as best as you can, with pig oil and sulphur, or lime wash, or Dectomax. Or combinations of these - trial and error really.

cobsarefab

Visit site
Just to add, how do you know she doesn't now have mites? Don't expect to see them, as they burrow beneath the skin. Keep an eye out for scratching and stamping. Good luck, I've had 2 with mites and have just given up and removed the environment!
I know you can't see them but she does not scratch or stamp and has no sores except these really old ones which have been treated.

jojo5

Visit site
Ok ........sorry, I thought you said you were not able to address this issue properly Because she did not let you fully touch her legs? It would be difficult to be certain what was going on under those feathers. You also need to check other areas such as hocks, inside thighs, tail root etc.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I know you can't see them but she does not scratch or stamp and has no sores except these really old ones which have been treated.

How can you see them if the feathers are matted? Even when they arent you cant see down to the skin.

Is there no way you can move this horse to a yard with some support? She doesnt sound like she has a particularly nice time living alone and I think you really need some eyes on the ground to help you. Forums are brilliant sounding boards but they dont replace someone actually being able to see the horse. We can only go by what you say and as of yet you dont have the experience to know what you are saying really. Sooner rather than later you are going to come badly unstuck.

cobsarefab

Visit site
Ok ........sorry, I thought you said you were not able to address this issue properly Because she did not let you fully touch her legs? It would be difficult to be certain what was going on under those feathers. You also need to check other areas such as hocks, inside thighs, tail root etc.

Perhaps I've not been explaining things very clearly I tend to do that. When she came to us her feathers were very matted. She wouldn't let us touch them for the past five months. . Now she will but we're having a hard time getting them out she doesn't like the sound of scissors or things like that which is why I think I'll have problems. I can part the tangles in places though.

Sparemare

Visit site
How can you see them if the feathers are matted? Even when they arent you cant see down to the skin.

Is there no way you can move this horse to a yard with some support? She doesnt sound like she has a particularly nice time living alone and I think you really need some eyes on the ground to help you. Forums are brilliant sounding boards but they dont replace someone actually being able to see the horse. We can only go by what you say and as of yet you dont have the experience to know what you are saying really. Sooner rather than later you are going to come badly unstuck.

Absolutely agree with Leo. A livery yard would give you support with looking after your mare, somewhere with company for your horse, adult help for you and a ménage where you could work on backing her. You sound so brilliant OP, so enthusiastic about your mare and it would really help you if you had proper help with her.