How to deal with slightly unpleasant, loose dogs from horseback?

Spudlet

Visit site
Not magical, but not safe unless you really do know what you're doing. On the horse, yes, riding hard towards them can work. Running can create a chase situation, but horses being horses will run and when panicked, there isn't much we can do. If you know what you're doing, you can stop it if you see the dog early enough without having to have any contact with it but as I said, you really need to know what you're doing and if you don't, you can be badly hurt, so if it happens again, honestly, I would advise you to again just do what you have to do.

That is the trouble, it is hard if your horse panics, and of course it's completely natural for them to do just that. My advice wasn't meant as a criticism of you, OP.

I absolutely agree and reiterate, I wouldn't try and grab the dog etc - at best, you'll only end up holding a scared horse and a revved up dog, which is a recipe for disaster in itself. And that's the best you could hope for - in reality, there's a good chance you'd get bitten, and then potentially be out in the middle of nowhere, hurt and still with a scared horse and a revved up dog. Not worth the risk, IMO.

xRobyn

Visit site
Not any good for stop a dog once it has attacked but a friend told me once to ride towards (At at least a trot) any dogs that come towards me. I was chased over a field once and came off, luckily the dog wasn't being aggressive but since then I've ridden hard towards any dog that gets too interested for my liking whilst explaining to the owner during/after why and it really has helped.

Spook

Visit site
Do not run away from dogs...... they will give chase.

Get off the horse if things get dangerous, keep hold of it if possible, deal with the dog, if necessary beat or kick the offender..feet or stick or whip whatever......and DO report the incident/accident to the police.

Dog owners responsibility.

_GG_

Visit site
Do not run away from dogs...... they will give chase.

Get off the horse if things get dangerous, keep hold of it if possible, deal with the dog, if necessary beat or kick the offender..feet or stick or whip whatever......and DO report the incident/accident to the police.

Dog owners responsibility.

Unless you can run away to safety. I love dogs, have four of them and used to be a canine behaviour therapist but I would not advise getting on the ground with a charging dog that is being aggressive unless you really know what you are doing. An aggressive dog can cause a hell of a lot of injuries and worse and even small dogs can overpower big men when they are in the zone, so you need to be very very careful.

Spudlet

Visit site
At the risk of sounding like an echo - I agree with GG. Beating a dog off might sound like a realistic course of action, but for some dogs, once they really get into that 'attack' mindset, it wouldn't matter what you did short of actually shooting it dead - once the adrenaline is flowing, they most likely won't feel what you're doing anyway (there's a reason dogs have been used by the military as weapons for centuries). If they aren't serious (and IME, most dogs actually aren't, in these situations - they'll try it on, but once the horse doesn't run, they'll think again), riding at them will give most dogs pause for thought - if they are that riled, you getting off isn't going to help. Getting off means that you are going to have to try and deal with an attacking predatory animal and a frightened prey animal - it makes you very vulnerable.

RobinHood

Visit site
I was riding on the downs yesterday and saw a Weimaraner giving a runner grief up ahead, and the dog decided my horse was more interesting. My horse is completely dog proof thanks to my own lurcher and usually it's a good thing but it also means he could get injured by an attacking dog.

The dog charged from quite a distance so I had time to turn my schooling whip upside down and as it launched at my horse's shoulder I hit it hard across the face. I kept my horse facing it as I really didn't want it biting his legs, but it nipped round the side and got walloped again. Then it ran round the back and went to bite near his hock, again I got it with my whip.

Eventually the owner caught up and got hold of the dog, and then dragged it away by the collar, turned out he did t even have a lead.

Ordinarily I just ignore dogs that show interest in my horse, and if they persist I'll trot over to their owner so they can catch it, but this dog was in attack mode from the outset.

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
I had a horse who was fantastic with aggressive dogs, if I was riding him and he was chased we would simply stop dead spin and chase it. He would put his head down teeth bared and go for the dog. The number of farm collies we sorted this way was was incredible. If he caught the dog he would grab it in his mouth and fling it. If I stopped him he would calmly stand an allow all sorts of dogs around him, under him. And I would frequently ride up to the moors with my own lurcher sitting on his back while we negotiated the roads, so he was no dog hater. Just responded rapidly if I asked him to.

IN most cases the rider panicing, and spinning the horse round and round simply makes the whole situation more exciting. Stand still and face the dog. If you are not moving, it may stop as well.

Jesstickle

Visit site
Spudlet, funnily enough I did make a joke about taking a gun out next time just incase I met it again as I really don't think anything else was going to stop it! Hitting it across the face made naff all difference.

I should teach the horse to do the dog tossing trick. Your's sounds worth his weight in salt Bosworth :)

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
I crack attacking dogs with my heavy leather dog lead with solid brass trigger hook right across the top of their head.The resounding crack followed by the yelp means they have got the message.
I've had my dogs attacked numerous times and now I don't wait for my dogs to get bitten or chased YET again, I get in first and always will as idiot owners don't know where their dog is or simply don't care