How to encourage a dog to work

WelshD

Visit site
I have a Jack Russell terrier from a working litter

He is now 15 weeks old and already sniffing around the sheds in the garden in an interested way but has not yet been taken to our yard

Will his instinct for hunting pests take over or do I need to encourage him in some way please?

Our other terrier sniffs and chases but doesn't manage to catch anything

Is it likely he will get injured as a pup, should I maybe wait till he is older before letting him have free run of the hay store and stables?

Thank you in advance for any advice

Dry Rot

Visit site
There is a lot you can do at this stage. Unfortunately, encouraging hunting may affect his response to recall, increase destructive instincts, etc. but so long as you know that! It will increase your bond and he will love you for it.

You can have a lot of fun with a ball. Tie a rag onto the end of a "fishing line and rod" and get him to chase that. Tease him with a rag and have a tug o'war. Get some squeaky toys. (I say "some" because he will quickly destroy them all, one at a time!). Be aware that by encouraging him to rely on sight, he might neglect to use his nose. You can teach him to follow a trail by dragging, say, a sausage on a string through long grass. You will have to engage your own predatory instincts and show him mouse nests under old timber, bales, corrugated iron, etc. Don't be surprised if he is frightened of things like mice the first time he sees them. Later, if he gets a nip, it will probaby increase his aggression and he will see it as his duty to rid the world of such obnoxious characters.

Oh dear! There I go again. Another dog owner corrupted and turned into a hunter! Have fun with your pup.:D

Alec Swan

Visit site
The right start.

Better too late than too early.

It sounds as though he already knows what he wants. I wouldn't advise encouragement.

The old guard may have to take a back seat!

No and no.

You're welcome!

Allow him to be a pup. Let him see as much as he can and as soon as he can, just remember how to 'scruff' him and keep him out of harm's way, or as best you can! :)

Alec.

ps; you can attempt re-call if you like, but I've never had a terrier which was of any use, and which was obedient!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Alec, i had a jack with a dollop of Manchester in him, best ratter i ever had, also managed a few moles in his time too as well as copious rabbits, the odd house spiders and a few squirrels too. Was pretty obedient just about all the time (helped that my gsd was working at advanced when terrier was an adolescent tho). Best bloody dog i ever had, bless him.

Dry Rot

Visit site
Take it from me, OP, these youngsters know nothing! :D Pups play because they are learning how to work. You'ld miss the best part of a dog's life?

Quote: "I've never had a terrier which was of any use, and which was obedient".

[video=youtube_share;NAHJV0CqGNE]https://youtu.be/NAHJV0CqGNE[/video]

Clodagh

Visit site
I should think he will come to it naturally. My husband used to be hunt terrierman and used to be given many cast off terriers which had either been entered too early and had lost their confidence or were wild and wilful. I accept that going to ground is perhaps harder to start than hunting mice and rats but he used to say no pressure on them, ever, and it just used to slowly come.

chillipup

Visit site
My little JRT acquired from an rspca dogs home at about 7 months old,(and already castrated) had a natural instinct from the beginning. Unfortunately he made a real school boy error and got his first rat by the tail... and ended up with a nasty bite to the bridge of his nose, of course this didn't put him off in the least and he did kill it. He found the rat in a field out on a walk. After vet treatment, all was OK and he never, ever made the same mistake. I never encouraged him or trained him to hunt, it was all built in instinct. They do exactly what it says on the tin! ;)

Copperpot

Visit site
I've never encouraged any of mine, you don't need to, it's bred into them. My jrt won't tug or play games of any kind. But show him something he thinks he can kill and there's no stopping him. The fell terriers love a tug and a rag and whilst they have just as high a prey drive, I think the jrt has a touch more brains!