How to fatten up an older guy?

HorseyTee

Visit site
This is our TB that we have had on feed twice a day to fatten up for winter.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155706829061604&set=a.388307941603&type=3&theater

He has been on a scoop of chaff and scoop of speedibeet twice a day for about 5 weeks now. However according to the weight tape he hasn't gained even a KG. He is currently rugged in a 0g turnout just to keep the wind and drizzle off. He is toasty warm underneath.
Also getting hay every day in field, lives out 24/7.

Does he look that bad, or am I being a bit paranoid?

Also any recommendations on feeding a 17 1/2 year old.

Thank You.

Carrottom

Visit site
How old is he? He doesn't look too bad but I wouldn't want him to loose any weight. I give my 17 yo tb a pound of crushed oats and about 200 gms of micronised linseed a day to keep wight on in winter in addition to his chaff and fast fibre.

HorseyTee

Visit site
How old is he? He doesn't look too bad but I wouldn't want him to loose any weight. I give my 17 yo tb a pound of crushed oats and about 200 gms of micronised linseed a day to keep wight on in winter in addition to his chaff and fast fibre.

He is 17.
I worry his ribs are too visible. He isn't in work either.

mandyroberts

Visit site
He is Ok at the moment but will probably need more feed to retain the weight over winter. My 27yr 16.3h is on 3 scoops (4.5kg) Spillers Veteran Conditioning mix plus 1/2 scoop Baileys keep calm split into 3 feeds and it seems to be doing the trick. Plus ad lib hay but he is only eating about 10lbs of hay at the moment as there is still grass. I can usually get him up to 30lbs of hay mid-winter. Until he was about 22yrs I didn't need to feed much hard feed at all to keep the weight on but they are all different. He was retired at 19yrs

HorseyTee

Visit site
Ye my 2 cobs I obviously have 0 problem with.

But this chap for the first time seems to need a little helping hand.
Last year he lived out all winter in the snow, with just a lightweight t/o on. He came out of winter looking really good.
Then I think over the hot summer he didn't have great grazing so hasn't done so well on our way into winter this year.

We are feeding a good quality hay but not ad lib as 2 fatty boy cobs would be waddling.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I would personally rug in a heavier weight, even if it's just 50g.

You could also look at giving higher energy hard feed twice a day. But hay is the big thing, and unless it's ad lib (If he's out 24/7), then I think you'll struggle to maintain his weight (or improve it).

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Looking at that photo personally he looks ok weight wise just lacks a bit of "bloom" if you know what I mean. I know it's winter but mine generally still have that about them. A bit of linseed (micronised) wouldn't go amiss and a really decent balancer maybe?

HorseyTee

Visit site
Thanks. All suggestions will be taken on board.
We do plan on bringing them in for a few hours every night when the weather turns so he will be getting plenty of hay and haylage in his stable.
Will look at changing his feed slightly too.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
My old boy is 25 now and has no muscle mass left at all, he also has managed cushings. He has done well on Veteran Vitality, linseed, ad lib hay and haylage (he likes choice). I am very careful with grass, a lami episode would see the end of him, he is 17.2. He has been retired for 6 years now.

He has just started to drop more weight so I am adding Equi Jewel. He is a fussy feeder and I don't know what else I could try him on, especially as he doesn't do change very well. I clip him so I can help in regulate his temperature and use a layer system of light weight rugs. On the days there is someone around at lunchtime he has a third feed. I hope he gets through the winter. These old horses break our hearts don't they.
There is 3 months between the 3 pictures below. I find it hard to watch him going down hill.

16lwoid.jpg

vqhb3t.jpg

xda6n7.jpg

Last edited:

HorseyTee

Visit site
Wow he looks great!

It is difficult having good doers with a not so good doer as you need to be able to manage the fatties as well.
My cobs could and would live easily on good old fresh country air lol. We can't bring the TB in at night with lots of hay because he won't tolerate being in by himself, he gets ridiculously worked up. Same if I brought the cobs in and left him out with loads of hay...he wouldn't stay out alone.
Cob doesn't respect leccy fencing hugely well so if we popped TB in his own little paddock for loads of hay...cob would likely throw himself through the fence.
Don't really want to add a filled rug at the moment as he really was very warm under just his sheet (even at 7am when I go before work) so don't want him sweating then getting cold at night.
Bloody horses. Pita lol.

JJS

Visit site
You have a similar set-up to me, in that I also have an OAP in with two ladies who are prone to portliness. Aside from being 25, mine has the added complications of having PPID and being the world's fussiest eater.

The only thing he'll touch is TopSpec's High Fibre Mash and Linseed Mash. The latter is too high in sugar and starch because of his Cushing's, but the former has an NSC of 11 percent, so we mix that with Fast Fibre to keep his weight on.

Last winter, he struggled hugely, and we did consider making that decision, but now he's doing better than ever, and I entirely credit the High Fibre Mash with his vast improvement. It's honestly worked wonders.

On another note, have you thought about having your boy tested for PPID? Weight loss can often be a symptom.

HorseyTee

Visit site
You have a similar set-up to me, in that I also have an OAP in with two ladies who are prone to portliness. Aside from being 25, mine has the added complications of having PPID and being the world's fussiest eater.

The only thing he'll touch is TopSpec's High Fibre Mash and Linseed Mash. The latter is too high in sugar and starch because of his Cushing's, but the former has an NSC of 11 percent, so we mix that with Fast Fibre to keep his weight on.

Last winter, he struggled hugely, and we did consider making that decision, but now he's doing better than ever, and I entirely credit the High Fibre Mash with his vast improvement. It's honestly worked wonders.

On another note, have you thought about having your boy tested for PPID? Weight loss can often be a symptom.

We haven't thought of having him tested for anything, as just thought his ribbiness was down to the poor summer grass.
However I did a thread very recently about a sudden behaviour change in him, in that he has become quite aggressive which is very unlike him. I think an MOT with the vet is a good idea but need to convince OH as he is his horse.
Will have a look into the mash though as well.

In an ideal world we would get another TB to live in a separate paddock with him where they could have ad lib munchies. Maybe it is a good thing that our grazing only allows 3 horses so we can't have any more lol.

JillA

Visit site
Check for PPID - he looks cushingoid to me. And up his protein - there isn't much in chaff or beet pulp, depending on the quality of the forage he gets. Micronised linseed is good, and low sugar if he is cushingoid. Teeth?

Michelle1109

Visit site
Hi
I think he looks ok ! TBS can look ribby

I always reach for more hay a good oil or an easier balance and heavier rug before I start playing with feed

But if that’s doesn’t work here is what me and friend did on the advice of a nutritionist

I feed my 24 yr old 17.2 hot headed warmblood
24hr hay
And the below x 2
Baileys stud balancer 250g
1.5 scoop Speedi beat (baileys 1kg scoop)- (British horse feed)
Good splash of linseed oil

He went from a droopy sway backed beer belly type old lad to looking about 16 again in about 6 months
He was lightly ridden once a day but filled back out on his hips and top line

My friends also had a 21 yr old ex polo pony about 15hh
We used
Rice bran (equijewl)
Baileys senior mix (can’t remember which)
Linseed oil
Pink powder for a few months as a helper

Also In winter we would cook up linseeds and feed about .5 - 1kg on top of feed every morning

Circe

Visit site
My boy was in his 30's, and the last couple of years of his life, it became harder to keep the weight on him.
I am a great fan of equijewel, and you don't need to feed huge amounts to get a result. I've never fed the amounts they say, usually 500g is the max I've had to feed.
I don't know if you can lucerne hay in the UK? If your older boy can manage hay ok, that is really good for putting weight on them.
Kx15102008054.jpg

Circe

Visit site
My first photo was before I owned him, and I feel his condition improved a little once I took him on.... I cant find a photo small enough to see if I'm deluded.....
Kx

HorseyTee

Visit site
Thank you all so far.
I am making a list and will look into all feeds mentioned. If he doesn't gain any condition after 4-6 weeks I will definitely push the OH to have a vet check done.

Do you think light hacks a few times a week in walk and trot would help him build up a little more?

Circe

Visit site
I kept my boy 'in work' up until the end. In reality it was a couple of rides, of 10 or 15mins in walk, or very occasionally in canter, if he wanted. ( He never wanted to trot ), and one or two long reining sessions, which he seemed to enjoy. He also come out for tag along hacks in walk to baby my other horse, who appreciated the nanny at the time.
I think it was one of the reasons he picked up a bit after I got him, and he did actually put some topline muscle back on.
He had been a very hard working horse all his life though, and it was more for his mind that I kept doing things with him. He liked having a job.
eta, so I don't think keeping riding/ working them is wrong, as long as you listen to them, and don't ever push them on to do more/ go faster than they can manage.
Kx

HorseyTee

Visit site
Ye i mean he hasn't had a hard life tbh, he was raced as a 2 yr old but didn't do well so then was rehomed. He has been passed around quite a bit before my OH got him about 5 years ago. Then he has just been a light hack and occasional jumps in the school.
He enjoys hacking but is a plod, he likes ti take life in general slowly.
Maybe I'll get OH to take him out a few times a week up the bridlepath to help build up a little more muscle there too.