how to find rider jobs?

suegreenaway

Visit site
Hi everybody, I know this isn't really competing but more likely to get some replies here!

Now I've decided what I really want to do how do you find these 'dream jobs' - I'm 24 and have worked for the last 6 years or so with racehorses, backing and breaking, eventers etc and love the babies. Currently im employed as a rider on a thoroughbred stud in gloucestershire backing the yearlings and doing the pre-training which is good but outside of work im producing youngsters for competition with currently my own horse who i've just started eventing, and two 4 year olds to get eventing. This is the bit I really really want to get into but I need to learn from the best and in an ideal world I wish I could find a job on an eventing yard/ stud as a rider where I can be taught how to produce competition horses correctly, ride lots of different ones, get training and ultimately be eventing myself properly at some point but how do you find these kind of jobs??

I know its lots of hard work but I don't care how much I have to put in and feel I am dedicated and determined enough to do it but just never had the horses, money or training.*Please help me, its driving me crazy that I really know what I want to do but don't know how to get there! I work for a good boss in quite a well paid job but my heart is just not in racehorses and I know this won't get me where I want to be, it would be horrible to leave though and end up in a job going nowhere and wishing I hadn't left! I will be staying for at least the breaking in and foaling season so perhaps start thinking for next summer .... its hard but feel it could be a life changing decision.*

Many thanks, Sue.

DonkeyClub

Visit site
I have been in just the same sort of position as you! My first riding job I fell into- thought I was just going to work as a groom at a large dressage stud but turned out I was riding 5 dressage horses a day! Amazing experience but they charged a killer fortune for keeping your own horse there& using the horse walker etc so financially it wasn't feasible long term. Went onto another normal grooms job and that was ok but I was bored only riding racehorses doing their fittening work, then out of the blue I got offered an amazing job at a sport horse stud.. This was someone i randomly met a couple of months before& we stayed in touch..Got to ride everything , and fantastic stallions, was going to start competing them etc... It was incredible but sadly the whole job collapsed when the YM turned out to be a total criminal .
Went onto another grooms job, great pay, lots of riding but only hacking so am feeling totally bored and wasted again... Then last week a friend of a friend offered me a brilliant riding job which I'm going to discuss with them today.. But I'm a bit torn as I feel so awful going from job to job like this and I am now in a stable, well paid job where I get all my bills paid, and my horse kept here for free. Do I stay in the stable job as an ordinary groom, and hope to achieve things with my one horse, or do I move again to get some proper riding and competing but risk everything falling apart- the grass is always greener!
But anyway, to get a riding job it is best to spread the word through word of mouth- that is the most powerful tool. Tell everyone on Facebook. Talk to as many people as possible.
You do occasionally see riding jobs advertised on career grooms and yard and groom- but you will be competing against over 300 people if you apply for those. Yet again, people will always employ someone they feel they 'know' either a friend of a friend or someone reccomended by a friend- so do get talking and be totally friendly and approachable with everyone.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Ah, soberedup, I think I've just clocked who you are. ;)

Anyway, OP, yes spread the word but I'd say it's also worth 'cold calling' anyone you would like to work for. Just keep putting yourself out there, big up the skills you have (realistically, obviously) and emphasise that you will work like a trojan to make this happen.

I would strongly suggest thinking about giving up your current horse if the right situation comes along, rather than make keeping it a deal breaker. Stables are revenue producers in commercial yards and it may simply not be cost effective to pay you and give you a stable.

Work for the very best people you can. The place down the road may be attractive because it's easy and safe but the horse world is a lot about who you know. Get to know people.

In the mean time, spend your money doing clinics and taking lessons with top riders. If you can't afford to ride, offer to help out being jump crew or whatever. Impress EVERYONE with your ability to work hard, your manners and your riding/knowledge n horsemanship.

Think of this as a profession, not fun time pony riding. Always think, 'Why should that person let me ride their horse? What do I bring to this?' Expect nothing for free.

And just remember, there are no 'dream' jobs. They are all hard work, sometimes upsetting, occasionally depressing. Expect that.

A famous actor once said, 'The only reason to be an actor is because you can't not be one.' The fact that you are already in a good horse job, even in an area other than you want to be in, is a big bonus. Keep kicking.

measles

Visit site
I agree with everything said by Tarrsteps. We not that long ago needed a member of staff to manage the yard and to ride and compete our horses. As Tarrsteps said, word of mouth and social media is incredibly powerful and we employed a super person who was known to us. We are currently advertising a part time post and again have only mentioned it on Facebook, so watch there for vacancies coming up. Take extreme care to keep your profile professional though, as continual pictures of drunk nights out will put employers off!

Very best of luck :)

TarrSteps

Visit site
I agree with everything said by Tarrsteps. We not that long ago needed a member of staff to manage the yard and to ride and compete our horses. As Tarrsteps said, word of mouth and social media is incredibly powerful and we employed a super person who was known to us. We are currently advertising a part time post and again have only mentioned it on Facebook, so watch there for vacancies coming up. Take extreme care to keep your profile professional though, as continual pictures of drunk nights out will put employers off!

Very best of luck :)

Yes, that's part of what I was referring to about professionalism. Social media has added a whole 'nother level to our information about people and top stables factor that in when they are hiring. Top riders are particularly put off by people who talk about things they shouldn't or seem to think it's funny to slack off etc. Be aware of the image you're putting out there.

This also refers back to what I was saying about clinics etc. Frankly, I think long term money is better spent going to a lesson or clinic with someone who can educate you and potentially help your career than going to a little show or going out competing when you aren't likely to get a decent result. You don't have to be perfect all the time - who is?? - but you have to show you are serious about your riding. A clinic or lesson is also an opportunity to meet and hopefully impress not only the trainer but anyone watching. I used to make deals with people to take horses for sale to high profile clinics. It was a great marketing tool for the horse and enabled me to go to things I would have never been able to afford otherwise. Sometimes it meant I wasn't sat on the most fantastic horse but that counted too, if I could do my best and show the horse off well.

You could also offer to competition groom part time if you can fit it around your current work. Anything that gets you out there at the level you want to be at is useful.

I'm going to have a ranty moment and say the thing that bugs me the most is when people say they want to be pros but they don't want to actually risk anything. It's a very risky business and one of the things you need to show people is that you are flexible and sturdy enough to take the knocks.

suegreenaway

Visit site
Thankyou for replying. I completely agree with professionalism and word of mouth, as said above it's often who you know. The 3 horses I currently ride are on DIY livery 10 minutes drive away from where I live/work so not necessarily expecting a job to come with stables included. They are completely separate from work, doing them early in the morning and late into the evening, though I try to treat it professionally as a separate business. Luckily I only pay for 2 so try to spend whats left on training and a few competitions but theres often not much time and money left. As also said above I do find the clinics/ lessons more valuable especially with the young horses. I also ride/ break a few for other people when the chance/ time arises and try to act punctual, reliable and professional at all times.

TarrSteps

Visit site
I'm almost sure they would not. But see my comment above - if someone is genuinely serious about making riding as a career and without the financial backing to run a horse themselves, then sometimes there have to be compromises. I'm not recommending that job specifically, but two of yesterday's gold medal winners have ridden for them in the past so if I were an ambitious young pro who wanted to jump a lot of horses, a job like that would certainly pique my interest.

It's like any other career. If you wanted to be the best astrophysicist you could be, you'd want to be in the best program possible, not just give up because the college down the street didn't offer the program.

montanna

Visit site
I'm almost sure they would not. But see my comment above - if someone is genuinely serious about making riding as a career and without the financial backing to run a horse themselves, then sometimes there have to be compromises. I'm not recommending that job specifically, but two of yesterday's gold medal winners have ridden for them in the past so if I were an ambitious young pro who wanted to jump a lot of horses, a job like that would certainly pique my interest.

It's like any other career. If you wanted to be the best astrophysicist you could be, you'd want to be in the best program possible, not just give up because the college down the street didn't offer the program.

Completely agree :)

teamsarazara

Visit site
I work in horses and all im going to say is get out there first at a breaking/dealing yard in the sphere of riding you want wether its jumping/dressage/, get riding and show you can do it, ok you will have to muck out etc but top riding jobs dont come easy. If you can ride the s**t of the day then people will start letting you on their good horses.

teamsarazara

Visit site
And also if you want tuition etc make sure you discuss money with your boss first as they will often try to pay you 40 quid a week because they think thats ok...

suegreenaway

Visit site
Well I have an expressed an interest in Brendon stud, though I expect they want an established showjumping rider already. I am not bothered about having my horse there because she is on a livery yard at the moment so would be no different.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I work in horses and all im going to say is get out there first at a breaking/dealing yard in the sphere of riding you want wether its jumping/dressage/, get riding and show you can do it, ok you will have to muck out etc but top riding jobs dont come easy. If you can ride the s**t of the day then people will start letting you on their good horses.

That's actually GOOD advice! I had an excellent rider for the last 3 years - who did nothing but riding (and teaching the junior staff who would all be around Stage 3 standard.) He was head-hunted by a rich owner in Scotland - and I couldn't replace him. Everyone who applied had a VERY over-rated idea of their own competence and I ended up employing another groom/rider, and taking on the teaching myself. At least 2 of the 5 COULD end up very good riders in another year or two (or 3!) If they keep working their a**ses off!