How to gain ground/stable experience?

PLC1994

New User
Visit site
Hi all,

I've recently returned to riding after a few years away and have also moved back to Hampshire, where I spent my childhood at local riding centres.

I'm 29 now and in a position where I'm actively saving for my first horse (& lucky enough to be financially able to commit to the ongoing costs of ownership)

I've started lessons again and am loving it, but I'm nervous and uncertain on how to re-establish my stable management/groundwork skills.

I have thorough knowledge of stable management, horse care and first aid, it's just been a very long time since I put any of it into practice!

I'm able to walk/trot/canter in my lessons and my instructor is very positive about my capabilities and is actively trying to push me and my confidence, but I can't seem to find a suitable loan near me to boost my other skills alongside riding (15h+, weight carrier, suitable for novice - the impossible loan dream!)

My riding school doesn't do stable management sessions and I can't seem to find anywhere that wouldn't mean I'd be learning/helping out in a group of kids... I'm currently thinking that I push into the riding lessons as much as I can to boost my confidence on various horses, then take up the other skills again once I can buy a horse, by taking advantage of a supportive livery yard/part livery etc.

Thoughts and suggestions would be really welcome, I'm very nervous but bloody excited to be stepping back into the horse world!! :)

AthenesOwl

Visit site
I really hope you don't mind me jumping onto your thread, but I genuinely popped on here to ask the very same question!

I'm a lot older than you, and have been riding regularly in riding schools for quite a number of years, but I now find myself wondering how someone who's definitely not a teenager can go about getting stable management skills. I'm not sure I'll ever be in a position to have my own horse, but at some stage I'd like a horse on part-loan.

My riding school is similar in that it doesn't do stable management classes, and while I'm competent at catching/grooming/tacking up etc, I have no idea about feeding/first aid etc.

Skib

sites.google.com
Ask if you can have a ground work lesson instead of riding. I had one last week. Ground work and some lessons in ground work were an important part of my learning to ride (adult beginner) and a young RI who believes in them had just arrived to work at our yard.
But my first RS didnt do them. I had to look elsewhere for them. Kelly Marks' NH organisation was one place and Parelli instructors another, The reason ground work was not done at my first RS was that a small indoor school was shared by several learners and owners. With a lot of cantering on the outside track so it wouldnt have been safe to have people on foot leading horses.

PLC1994

New User
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your replies! With what you've said in mind, I'm thinking of swapping riding schools if I can find somewhere else local with the opportunity for stable management / ground work / volunteering opportunity alongside my riding. Most schools near me are of course focused on kids classes/pony club/etc so it would be fab to find somewhere that supports adult riders/owners in their journey too!

There is an RDA near me that I am visiting in the next few days so fingers crossed I am able to volunteer regularly there.

Bob notacob

Visit site
OMG ! You all sound like a riding school owners dream . Keenness counts more than age and anyway who wants a teenage brat club with long nails, and eyelashes that could sweep the yard! I know of one school in Surrey that is always looking for down to earth hard working staff, regardless of age ,and can offer BHS training. PM me if interested.

Wishfilly

Visit site
Thanks everyone for your replies! With what you've said in mind, I'm thinking of swapping riding schools if I can find somewhere else local with the opportunity for stable management / ground work / volunteering opportunity alongside my riding. Most schools near me are of course focused on kids classes/pony club/etc so it would be fab to find somewhere that supports adult riders/owners in their journey too!

There is an RDA near me that I am visiting in the next few days so fingers crossed I am able to volunteer regularly there.

RDA volunteering is a great idea.

If that doesn't work out, it might be worth looking for an owner, perhaps with some non-ridden horses who is happy to have you help out in exchange for some stable management practice? Maybe it would be worth trying to separate the idea of loan/share from riding until you're a bit more confident in your riding?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Would you have time to volunteer at a local RDA? That would give you more experience of handling a variety of horses, and, depending on their setup, experience of stable management too.
Just what I was going to say! If you explain what you are looking for, most RDA groups would be able to support you, so long as you are willing to pull your weight in riding/driving sessions.