How to get a horse to eat his medicine!?

taraj

Visit site
Hi would be grateful if anyone can help as im having a nightmare getting horse to eat his anti-biotics. He has to have 50ml twice a day so a fair bit. Its the consistency of treacle and the smell is enough to put anyone off. Horse is normally a piggy and eats anything but wont touch his feed with this in. Tried syringing it but as its such a thick liquid its very hard, horse just puts his head up so you cant reach then spits it all out even if I do it a bit at a time. Horse is even turning his nose up at his hay now incase its "laced with the killer liquid!". Any good or unusual ideas, have tried molasses and various vegetables!

taraj

Visit site
Could possibly try it, thanks, with just water or juice. Its just there is a lot of it in the first place I think I would be there all day trying to syringe it in!

FlyingCircus

Visit site
My old riding instructor used to make gingerbread biscuits with the required medicine in for an old stubborn pony!
I'd also known people to give a piece of bread that has marmite and medicine on it.
Syringe into the centre of an apple/bread roll?

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I used to have to mix bute with hot chocolate and warm water to syringe it into the old Appy :) Only way she would swallow it! Good luck :)

soloequestrian

Visit site
I had this trouble recently and ended up giving up - the horse didn't get the full course of antibiotics because I just couldn't get them into him.... the solution was that my vet gave me some intramuscular antibiotics instead. Not for the faint hearted - luckily my husband was a dairyman for many years so very used to giving these types of injection - but the horse didn't mind them at all and so got the full course. Might be worth the discussion if you carry on having problems.

Grinchmass

Visit site
When my mare was off her food I had to mix her antibiotics with water and syringe them in - she wasn't overly impressed but she swallowed them.

taraj

Visit site
Thanks for all the ideas, he likes bread as a treat now and again so went with that. Only bread I could find was an apple hot cross bun, syringed medicine in and let it soak for a bit and then he ate it, yay! But may not work tomorrow.

Thanks, soloequestrian, discussed with vet and he said if I have no luck then he would have to have a course of injections, fingers crossed he will keep trying different things,maybe we will go with a donut tomorrow!

Aoibhinn

Visit site
I had to get bute into my lad a few months back and he turned his nose up at it. What I did was i stewed some apples with sugar and put them in his feed, then added some apple juice and golden syrup. He loved it! Must say though, if I had been hungry it nearly would have tempted me!! :D

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Hi would be grateful if anyone can help as im having a nightmare getting horse to eat his anti-biotics. He has to have 50ml twice a day so a fair bit. Its the consistency of treacle and the smell is enough to put anyone off. Horse is normally a piggy and eats anything but wont touch his feed with this in. Tried syringing it but as its such a thick liquid its very hard, horse just puts his head up so you cant reach then spits it all out even if I do it a bit at a time. Horse is even turning his nose up at his hay now incase its "laced with the killer liquid!". Any good or unusual ideas, have tried molasses and various vegetables!
check out here as it is full of ideas from previous posts on this subject>>>> http://horse-care-and-advice.weebly.com/veterinary.html

If anyone has any ideas not on this list pm me if you want to share :)

SO1

Visit site
My pony is dreadful with antibiotics tried all the normal stuff like apple sauce, coring out and apple mixing in apple sauce and antibiotic and then filling cored out apple with the mixture worked once, then he got wise with that, black treacle again worked but not that well as he got wise to that.

He is normally a very greedy pony as well.

However what worked really well was something I got from Holland and Barrett but have also seen in Tescos which is manuka honey with lemon and it is quite liquidy. Mixed the antibiotics with that and then in with the food and bucket licked clean every time!

diamonddogs

Visit site
Mine has her meds mixed with treacle, and will lick it off a plate, though it's normally mixed with her feed. She's never tasted treacle without meds in it, so she'll wolf it down.

She also loves flapjacks, specially the gooey ones, so small amounts can go in that.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Thanks for all the ideas, he likes bread as a treat now and again so went with that. Only bread I could find was an apple hot cross bun, syringed medicine in and let it soak for a bit and then he ate it, yay! But may not work tomorrow.

Thanks, soloequestrian, discussed with vet and he said if I have no luck then he would have to have a course of injections, fingers crossed he will keep trying different things,maybe we will go with a donut tomorrow!
Did you check the site out?? just curious

Redders

Visit site
I recently had to give 50ml foul antibiotic via syringing. Luckily my mare was very good but I did find a syringe with a nice wide opening to make it quick. I was recommended to mix with molasses in syringe.

taraj

Visit site

3OldPonies

Visit site
Mixing with baby food - the sort that comes in little jars - worked when I had to get stuff into the mini shettie once. I used the carrot, apple and mixed veg varieties in rotation so he didn't get used to one flavour. I couldn't fool him with a treacle or jam sandwich, he just knew that to be getting a normally banned treat like that there was something suspect about it!!!!! Mint and garlic didn't fool him either.

shugmx

Visit site
i used a boiling kettle to melt some treacle lick and mixed it. just left it on top of lick. my 17.1 is a nightmare with medicine and the drench is no go now. But this method is working so far.

Summer pudding

Visit site
I've been successful with strawberry yoghurt in a syringe, or a choc spread sandwich left 'casually' in the stable. Good luck...meds can be a nightmare.