how to get a horse to move off your leg

jenbleep

Visit site
the horse i ride can be a bit backward thinking, and i need some exercises to get him really moving forward. hes a bit whip shy as well, (or maybe hes just a v naughty hossie) so can someone please give me some exercises to really get him going without nagging him all the time? im going to ride him in an hour xxxxx

TiaPony

Visit site
transitions transitions transitions.
to get him a bit more attentive to your leg, leg yield and spiralling (making a 20m circle smaller to say 10m spiralling inwards but mantaining impulsion and bend and then making the circle it's original size once again)
xx

katiejaye

Visit site
I echo above that transitions are the key, trying to get him listening to your legs. How whip shy is he? My boy can be a bit slow off the leg into canter transitions and I find just carrying the whip very useful to get him a little more snappy of the hind leg, I'm not talking about a hard smack, just a little tickle on the inside hind as I ask for the transition.

Lateral work is also really useful to get him listening to your legs. I mimic the excercise suggested above as it's great for getting more impulsion behind. Spiralling into a gradually smaller circle and then leg yielding out with the correct bend.

Make sure that he is carrying himself and working through from behind as that will help to maintain the balance. Start off by working him long and low and asking for lots of forward motion which should initially give his back a good stretch and leg his hind moving and coming under.

jenbleep

Visit site
if he can see it in the corner of his eye i can feel him flinch! i only use it gently, because he tends to rodeo! thing is its not my horse, and i would go on and get his backed checked, but if i said that to his owner i dont know how shed react xxxx

TiaPony

Visit site
Sorry!
blush.gif
Fixed now!
x

katiejaye

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
if he can see it in the corner of his eye i can feel him flinch! i only use it gently, because he tends to rodeo! thing is its not my horse, and i would go on and get his backed checked, but if i said that to his owner i dont know how shed react xxxx

[/ QUOTE ]

I see the dilema, in that case he should probably have his back checked in case there is a physical problem causing him to back off and rodeo! My boy tends to back off and throw in bucks when his back needs checking. Could you maybe approach the owner and have a chat about the chance of getting his back checked?

If all is well with his back, some small spurs may help?