How to get a horse to pee!

FrodoBeutlin

Visit site

Frodo has to do a urine test and I am finding this almost impossible! I just can't seem to catch him while he's peeing.

Today he was out a long time after work (I know for sure he doesn't like to pee outside and normally waits till he's back in his box), when I brought him in he drank lots... I waited inside his box for over two hours and nothing happened. Then I had to give up as it was 6pm already and the clinic was closing at that time (and the vet said that it wouldn't last overnight, not even in the fridge).

Does anyone have any suggestions/advice/ideas?

Chico Mio

Antedeluvian
Visit site
What are they testing for? Can you get a diuretec jab from the vet to make him pee? (I got one for humans from the chemists, on vetinary instructions
blush.gif
) Obviously, no good if the drug masks something in his pee.

FB always pees after work, if Frodo does too, why not work him and then put him straight in his box?

FrodoBeutlin

Visit site
Because I've been trying for two days and that didn't work either
frown.gif

I swear he knows what the little urine container means and he's just being mean to me
mad.gif

No, just kidding, but I must admit that time goes really slowly when you are stuck inside your horse's box waiting for him to pee! What do people do when they have to test horses for doping?

The vet wanted him tested because I've recently noticed that when I tack him up he's started to drop his penis. She said that this might be nothing at all, but it might also indicate a kidney problem. I never thought it could be so difficult, though!

Didn't know there was a jab, thanks for mentioning it. Not sure if it would affect the results but I can always ask the vet.

RuthnMeg

Visit site
put fresh straw in his box! All horses love to mark a new stable and I think straw works best?!! It was so fustrating to see 'my' event horses muck up a new bed - geldings more than mares I found!?!?!?

hellybelly6

Visit site
I had to get a sample from my horse last year for kidney problems.

A pile of fresh clean bedding is a good idea as horses particularly geldings like to put their scent on it. I waited for 4 hours before my horse performed.

I suggest taking in a good book/magazine and a flask of tea whilst you wait, it makes the time go quicker, or you can clean your tack not suggesting it needs it, but it gives you something to do and not focus on horse's movements.

I took an empty bottle of spring water for hoss to fill up a tiny container bounces the wee out and onto your hand!!

kerilli

Visit site
fresh bedding, shake it underneath him, and whistle.
sit there with a good book and keep 1/2 an eye on him.
tbh i'd use a clean bucket and then tip some into the sample pot, you won't have to get so close then, geldings can be very shy about people diving underneath them when they start having a wee!

FrodoBeutlin

Visit site
Highlandponylass - 4 hours! I've only managed three in a row so far.

Thanks all for the suggestions. Did try with fresh straw but he wasn't particularly excited by it. He prefers to play with my hair! I even tried playing with the drinker and splashing the water around, but it just made me want to pee
blush.gif
blush.gif

Would putting him in another stable help, because of the different smells etc? Or am I reasoning as if he were a dog?
confused.gif

geraldgiraffe

Visit site
Know how you feel - its taken me all week to get a sample from my mare. Are you sure about the sample not being ok if kept in the fridge tho, my vet said it was fine all weekend as long as it was in the fridge?

FrodoBeutlin

Visit site
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!! Don't know what did it - in the end I guess it was just luck. I spent one hour whistling, playing with the drinker and shaking half a tonne (well, almost) of fresh straw under him (talk about multitasking!). Then I gave up, went to change rugs and as I was coming back with rug in hand I caught him peeing! I managed to get in the box in a flash, hand (holding jar) already outstretched, and triumphantly came out holding an overflowing jar
grin.gif
Which I then proudly paraded around the yard
grin.gif

The look on his face was priceless though - he was soooo confused!

GG, my vet told me to go to the clinic the very same day because (her words) it wouldn't last overnight in the fridge (no actually, she didn't say that - she said it would be better not to leave it overnight). Which is why I didn't even try Sat/Sun (because I figured the clinic would be closed). But I'm not sure if it's true or if, more simply, she was aware of how forgetful I am and guessed that, once in the fridge, it would have been forgotten there for weeks
blush.gif