How to get a horse to respect the jumps?

That_midgit_equestrian

Visit site
Carry on, nothing to see here. Just can't control the controls.
?
Ha, I missed that word!

Yes, using mean words about horses sometimes shows us we're not placing them at the centre of things, that we want them to "perform" for us, instead of working out what they actually need. This little pony needs balance, and I would suggest that leaving jumping until his canter is better balanced would be the way to go.
The PG way to put it is he’s very difficult to lunge It’s almost w way of affection calling him names I obviously he can’t understand English so he’s not going to get offended he’s my best mate he’s more than just a horse I hop on get off and throw in the field he’s very special to me and the reason I ask this is so we can enjoy our sessions more together as I’d like us to have as much fun jumping in the arenas as we do outside

Lois Lame

Visit site

I'd edited my post to show my response was to you (by quoting you) but the system decided that pressing 'edit' meant starting a new post.

The PG way to put it is he’s very difficult to lunge It’s almost w way of affection calling him names I obviously he can’t understand English so he’s not going to get offended he’s my best mate he’s more than just a horse I hop on get off and throw in the field he’s very special to me and the reason I ask this is so we can enjoy our sessions more together as I’d like us to have as much fun jumping in the arenas as we do outside

It might be better to call him more user-friendly names like 'twit' or 'silly donkey' because some people are offended by bad language.

That_midgit_equestrian

Visit site
I'd edited my post to show my response was to you (by quoting you) but the system decided that pressing 'edit' meant starting a new post.

It might be better to call him more user-friendly names like 'twit' or 'silly donkey' because some people are offended by bad language.
I will try mg best. But Don’t you think its a bit silly people get offended about it when its not about anything to do with them

stangs

Visit site
Using insults with horses - particularly the use of terms typically said in anger - influences how we perceive misbehaviour, and thus how we manage it. It doesn't affect the horse if you call him a pr*ck; it affects you. 'Course calling horses tw*ts, sh*theads, etc is very à la mode in most yards, and sometimes it comes out accidentally, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to improve.

(A horse could be difficult to lunge because because it puts him off balance, because he doesn't fully understand it, because he gets wary in the area where he's lunged, because he gets bored, because he receives mixed signals from the handler, because there's a physical issue that makes the circles painful, etc... Many reasons but never just because he's a pr*ck. Their brains don't quite work like that.)

That_midgit_equestrian

Visit site
Using insults with horses - particularly the use of terms typically said in anger - influences how we perceive misbehaviour, and thus how we manage it. It doesn't affect the horse if you call him a pr*ck; it affects you. 'Course calling horses tw*ts, sh*theads, etc is very à la mode in most yards, and sometimes it comes out accidentally, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to improve.

(A horse could be difficult to lunge because because it puts him off balance, because he doesn't fully understand it, because he gets wary in the area where he's lunged, because he gets bored, because he receives mixed signals from the handler, because there's a physical issue that makes the circles painful, etc... Many reasons but never just because he's a pr*ck. Their brains don't quite work like that.)
It’s general practice youse are all getting het up about one word

View

Visit site
I do try but sometimes I say it on accident force of habit the word I said isn’t to offensive and a child of seeing it may not tegonise as a swear anyway

Don’t get me wrong - I work in a very robust environment, and there are times when I turn the air navy blue. But never in public, always behind a closed door in the safe environment of my boss’ office. Never in front of staff or public.

Many of us will always write in a different way to that we use when speaking. And I consider using a forum such as this to be written not spoken, although I may use emojis to help convey tone.

What you may find mild or inoffensive may be deeply hurtful or offensive to someone in your audience. And when this happens your message or plea for help may be lost.

Something to think about?

That_midgit_equestrian

Visit site
Don’t get me wrong - I work in a very robust environment, and there are times when I turn the air navy blue. But never in public, always behind a closed door in the safe environment of my boss’ office. Never in front of staff or public.

Many of us will always write in a different way to that we use when speaking. And I consider using a forum such as this to be written not spoken, although I may use emojis to help convey tone.

What you may find mild or inoffensive may be deeply hurtful or offensive to someone in your audience. And when this happens your message or plea for help may be lost.

Something to think about?
I just want to say sorry to anyone I potentially offended I didn’t realise how big of an affect one word could have x

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I deleted my post, you can't delete the whole post (to my knowledge), only the content.

It's a bit like @sh*teeventers on FB, at first loads of people joined in, most thought it was funny, and then a few started to point out that it showed a really poor attitude towards our horses, and more and more people have realised and agreed. There's a whole "social licence" movement, that we have to do better, so we are all becoming more conscious of how we treat and speak about our horses. People can't see you with your horse but they can see how they speak about him and judge from that. And we've only gone on about it as you dismissed it.

There's a lot of experience here, both in your specific issue and generally about how we "do" horses, and that's why you're asking us. All opinions are valid. Many will contradict each other, there is no single way, and it may not FEEL like the advice applies to you and your situation but be as open as you can.

The post I deleted was again about balance, but I hadn't realised you responded to my previous comment about balance. I think your instructor MAY be dismissing balance in the canter as an issue when she shouldn't - there is balance for a baby horse, a novice cob, a hacking horse, and there is balance for performance...and much in between. I would say it's still worth considering it at least in part a balance issue, a grand prix dressage horse can have balance issues - if your horse runs on the forehand, gets strong with anything new you try, to any great extent, then it's likely that the horse's strength and balance wasn't quite ready for that new activity/movement. It also doesn't mean you can't do that new thing at all, but in tiny bite sized chunks, over and over, and build from there. Patience in everything.

stangs

Visit site
Do you have anything you could use as a filler in the meantime - some cones perhaps, or even a coat hanging off the pole? That might help him see the fence better.

tristar

Visit site
good idea that, get a few branches, put some in front both sides so you can jump on either rein without getting off, for a ground line, and put some as a filler or up the sides to make a cross, or do it all to make the jump look meaty, perhaps raise it a little, or better still make it look like an ascending oxer from both sides and wider is the best trick i use so they have to look down and leap wider

i know what you mean about the lunging, some are brill at it and some just dont get it, just keep practicing quietly and it will come, a very useful tool to have for when you cant ride.

That_midgit_equestrian

Visit site
good idea that, get a few branches, put some in front both sides so you can jump on either rein without getting off, for a ground line, and put some as a filler or up the sides to make a cross, or do it all to make the jump look meaty, perhaps raise it a little, or better still make it look like an ascending oxer from both sides and wider is the best trick i use so they have to look down and leap wider

i know what you mean about the lunging, some are brill at it and some just dont get it, just keep practicing quietly and it will come, a very useful tool to have for when you cant ride.
Love this idea will defo try I need to practice lunging really the holidays are soon so I have a load of time

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I have a little cob who is more than capable of jumping out hacking he will fly over anything and feels absolutely mega giving everything room but in the school he will go straight through the jumps or just won’t pick up his legs enough over tiny jumps (he’s not allowed to jump over 60 just yet whilst he gets muscle) I’m talking these jumps are like 40cm so irs not a case of difficulty I feel like irs a case of can’t be bothered typical cba gelding anyone experienced this ? Or knows what to do?
I remember years back a horrid traditions to cure this and that was put hedgehog skins on the poles. It was horrid and glad they don't do it anymore.https://www.pressreader.com/

That_midgit_equestrian

Visit site
I remember years back a horrid traditions to cure this and that was put hedgehog skins on the poles. It was horrid and glad they don't do it anymore.https://www.pressreader.com/
That’s absolutely awful for the hedgehogs and the horse stuff like this still exists today such as lifting the pole as they go over it or to add a cream that would hurt there legs if they touch the pole