How to get back into riding

SUSIE500

New User
Visit site
How do I get back I to riding without breaking the bank . I'm an experienced rider but have not ridden recently . Riding schools are way too expensive .
Any thoughts

Kaylum

Visit site
Ask if anyone wants help with their horses, maybe do a horse share. Put a wanted ad on local facebook groups see what messages you get.

SUSIE500

New User
Visit site
Thanks Kaylum. I cant believe that so much time has rolled by without riding horses. As a teenager I lived up at our local stables!I live in a village so will put out some feelers

canteron

Visit site
Can you ride during the week or only at weekends - if you can only ride at weekends and aren't experienced to add value to a horse then it is going to be difficult to find a share of a sane horse.

If you can ride during the week, you may have better luck if you offer to help with the chores - sometimes that is more useful that the money!

Trouper

Visit site
How long is it since you last rode, if I may ask? I do so as one whose circumstances forced a 30'ish year break but still found the riding itself quite easy to get back to. However, if you are offering to ride others' horses it might be worth having a couple of RS lessons and getting an independent view of your current standard so that you can "sell" your current abilities with confidence.

popletaa

Visit site
Depends how long a break you've had? I've been riding since I was little, but had a 4 year ish break in my early 20s. I started riding again a few years ago and took up lessons at a riding school to get back into it, but only for a little while (as yes, it was very expensive), and then I found a loan which was cheaper. And now I own a horse! Could you afford to take a couple of lessons just to ease you back into it?

SUSIE500

New User
Visit site
Thanks,yes I think that's a good idea. I used to be very confident but it's about ten years since I rode so a few lessons would be great . Then I would like to help someone out as others have suggested plus mucking out etc. Thanks for your advice.

black and brown

Visit site
Maybe volunteer at your local riding club. Once events are up and running again help is always appreciated and it will get you involved in the local horsey community.