How to get fat off?

Katd66

Visit site
My boy is rising 3 and is Danish Warmblood x Welsh D x A. Arab x Trakhener.

He is bit fat at the moment but is on very little grass on a flat field with 1 mare. He does spend a lot of time sleeping and grooming his pal and the horses in the neighbouring field so isnt eating all the time.

I dont want to lunge him as the school is really deep sand and not good for a 3yo anyway.

I have the option of move to a field where one section is quite steep hill with very little grass with 4-5 geldings. Would this make much of a difference having to walk up and down the hill?

He does get quite stressy in his stable when away from the mare but she has been sold and leaves in 2 weeks so he may settle down once she has gone. Also I guess having more friends in the gelding field he may settle better when in?

scheherazade

Visit site
I fear that moving him to a field with a steep hill will probably only be a weight loss programme for you, not the horse! He probably won't walk around any more than he does in his current, flat field

Katd66

Visit site
Thank you - I have done some long reigning with him but quite limited as to where I can go as the yard is off a busyish road. Will start doing some more around the yard thou.

scheherazade

Visit site
...not that I am calling you fat at all. Or in need of a weight loss programme. Don't know how to do smilies either. I fail! Picture a very embarrassed face...

TarantuLove

Visit site
I am a paranoid numpty and wouldn't be so keen on putting a youngster on a steep hill when their joints are still developing, that's just me tho'!! :)

BBP

Visit site
I am having the same problem with my rising 6yo, bit fat but the ground is like concrete as no rain in 12 weeks and the arena is really deep and patchy. he isn't the bravest hacking on his own so sometimes I just lead him out, keeps me fit as well (easier to do with his as he is only 14hh). if I had a steep hilly field to put him in I would in a flash. All the horses I worked with in NZ, and those i rode in argentina, grew up in the hills/mountains and were tough as old boots, so that sort of thing doesn't worry me at all with a young horse.