How to get horse to take Bute

EstherYoung

Visit site
Danilon makes life so much easier. There is no way I could have got H to eat bute but he will eat Danilon in the smallest handful of feed.

Ellies_mum2

Visit site
Or do what I had to do to get it into my mare. Marmite sandwiches. Marmite has a very strong almost salty taste so helps to disguise the taste of bute or danilon

xxmariexx

Visit site
use a cheese grater and grate a apple and a few carrots into feed, and a bit of mollases works for me!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Speedi beet makes my hugely fussy boy eat bute/wormer. Syringe, otherwise but if you're not confident to get it far back enough, you risk losing some plus you have to dissolve it/add something to it.

Zuzzie

Visit site
I have tried all the following - neither Equipalazone nor Danillon made any difference:

Bute mixed with molasses - ended up all over the walls and me!

Bute in a sandwich of jam - not bad but still resistant - after a while would not eat.

Bute in a sandwich of golden syrup - better but still not good enough.

As above but cut up into tiny pieces and mixed in a feed. Didn't finish it but dog found remainder and ended up in the vets having gone temporarily blind and hallucinating with the effects of the drug. Happy to say, dog recovered.

Best remedy of all: Quarter scoop of hot bran mixed with cool mix, sugar beet, carrots and apple. Ate the lot.

Hope this helps. :)

Janee

Visit site
Thank you all, hiding in something tasty almost worked, greedy boy ate half before realised, then had to hand feed with treats but got it all in and he is loads more comfortable.