How to get my cats used to being in a house again?

NellRosk

Visit site
8 years ago we moved house when our cats were about 6 months old and they never really came into the new house because we have a big garage with a cat flap and a big garden that backs on to some woods so they just kind of disappeared into the wilderness and we see them most days when they're wailing at us for food. Coupled with the fact that we have 2 terrierists that chase them at any opportunity so this has discouraged them from coming near the house when we are in :( Anyway, they are fed on a big ledge/ shelf in the garage and I put one of the dogs up there the other day whilst they were on there and the friendlier of the 2 cats really liked her, they were sniffing each other and she had her tail up in a friendly inquisitive way. And I know the dogs only chase the cats because they run so there's no chance of them attacking them!

Sooo I want to get my kitties back in the house! How would I go about it? Just lock them in the house for a few days and ply them with delicious pouches of wet food (they usually only have dry)? Also will they still be litter trained? I'm fully expecting the dogs to go mental and try chase them but the less friendly of the 2 will hiss at them and hopefully bat them across the face so they know not to chase them in the house.

Help/ advice gratefully received!

amy_b

Visit site
If it was me, I would move them back into the house for a week, just so that they get used to being in the house then after that only feed them in the house.
Make sure they have their own room/space where the dogs cant go so that they are happy, my dog is very similar in that she LOVES the cats, one she is best friends with but she started chasing him (he wasn't in the slightest bit worried!) so out of principle she isn't allowed to play with the cats anymore until she learns some manners! so I would do the same for your dogs. Lay down some rules whereby they aren't allowed to go near the cats unless the cats comes to them and don't let them chase them! :)

NellRosk

Visit site
Ahh thank you amy_b, will definitely try sort them a dog free zone that they can go to! I'm going to go shopping this weekend and get them some litter trays and litter :)