How to get my horse to eat Bute???

meesha

Visit site
Mine hates bute but will eat it if the feed is made up the night before with it in! However, seems fine with equipalazone which I think is just another brand of bute!

Street_Skill

Visit site
A couple of years ago my horse was on box rest and on one bute a day for a period of time. I had the same problem getting him to eat it so I mixed a sachet in a tablespoon of natural yoghurt and then cut the pointy end off a bog standard plastic veterinary syringe. I spooned the yoghurt/Danilon mixture into the syringe and then syringed it into his mouth. It's pretty messy until you get the hang of it, but he didn't object and by the end of it I had dispensed with the syringe and he used to lick the painkiller laced yoghurt out of the pot I used to mix it up in!

Good luck!

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
Slip some molasses and or mint into her feed. She's bound to eat it with that in. Also, if she's really fussy add some pure non- concentrate apple juice (organic ideally, but it doesn't really matter) into her bucket, perhaps with the molasses and mint.

dollymix

Visit site
Mines an evil genius at sniffing out meds... Only thing that works for her is a double handful of high fibre cubes soaked in warm water to form a mash. She loves it!!!

pip6

Visit site
I also put it in a large syringe with apple juice. After a couple they start to look positively for the syringe as they want the juice.

Tern

Visit site
I am currently putting water in feed and putting apples in - seems to be doing the job!

Otherwise treacle, in jam sandwiches or apple sauce sandwiches, honey. Lots of things to try!

Notimetoride

Visit site
Before the days of Danilon, I used to get a tin of treacle. I would put the bute, some treacle , and some warm water (to melt the treacle) into a large syringe, shake it all up to mix it (with my thumb over the end), and give straight into the mouth like a wormer.

touchstone

Visit site
You can keep it in the fridge beforehand which helps to disguise the smell/taste of it. I also find it's better mixed in to a mash type feed such as fast fibre, soaked fibre cubes or sugar beet rather than a mix or cubes.