How to get my lazy pony in front of my leg?

Belleoftheball

Visit site
In the school my pony doesn't really move with out lots of encouraging. It takes me lots of leg and taps of the whip even to get a slow trot! He is fine in trot/canter transition but how can I get his walk more energetic and his walk/trot transitions straight of my leg (Without using spurs)
thanks

oldie48

Visit site
Depends on the pony. If young and relatively green, transitions, transitions, transitions + nudge, kick, flick and don't nag. If older and a bit sour then try the same but if it doesn't work, either stick with the hacking or get a new pony. Sorry to sound a bit negative but I've been there with an older soured horse, struggled for 5 years until we both got completely fed up, now got new horse and love every minute of riding him because he has the desire to go forward!

Chirmapops

Visit site
In the walk, try giving leg aids with alternate legs to help it swing along. In trot, ask for the trot then take your leg off and wait for him to drop into walk. Just before he does, give one big kick and allow him forward, then take your leg off again. After a few times (it might take a good number if he's a bit older), he'll learn to go into trot and stay there until you ask him to do something else. This is genuinely the best thing anyone's ever taught me :)

Batgirl

Visit site
I found the exercises in this very helpful, I no longer need spurs with my previously 'lazy' elephant. :) There was a free copy on horse and rider mag a ways back so there might be some kicking around on ebay, or on youtube.

Mrs G

Visit site
I found my horse reacts better to my voice than anthing else - so started on the lunge and free schooling and cue words - the usual waaaaalllk, T- Rot and CANTER! But also a cue for speeding up within the pace - works very well and now he reacts as I want instead of ignoring my leg or bucking at a whip or spurs. I just need to get him used to me asking in a whisper now as Im thinking of having a go at some stressage and dont want the judge to hear me!

soulfull

Visit site
In the walk, try giving leg aids with alternate legs to help it swing along. In trot, ask for the trot then take your leg off and wait for him to drop into walk. Just before he does, give one big kick and allow him forward, then take your leg off again. After a few times (it might take a good number if he's a bit older), he'll learn to go into trot and stay there until you ask him to do something else. This is genuinely the best thing anyone's ever taught me :)

^^^^ 200% this is exactly what I was going to say

hcm88

Visit site

Agree with this. On top of this if you need that bit extra try using a schooling stick, each time he doesn't listen to your leg aid give him a quick tap with the stick. Use it to back up your leg aid only, if you don't get the reaction desired with the leg don't let him get away with it. Make sure you aren't nagging with your legs though as he'll become dead to it.

When warming up get him engaged and listening with transitions and lateral work, keep his mind ticking and don't stick to the outside track.