How to get pills down a dog

Clodagh

Visit site
Mum's collie has pancreatitis. She has to take pills twice a day. She is a very neurotic dog who goes off her food at the drop of a hat. If mum forces the pills down she is sick. If she doesn't take them I have to take her to the vets twice a day for an injection.
Suggestions? Is there a pill shooter thing?

BlackadderUK

Visit site
Have you tried crushing the tablets between 2 teaspoons & sprinkling the powder over her food or a slice of ham etc?

Clodagh

Visit site
Both of those have been tried. She can spot a pill at 100 paces, today she has rejected Lily's kitchen tin (her usual food) ham, salami, sardines and cheese.
Worst thing is Mum has a cataract op on Thursday so I have to take over getting them down her.

meleeka

Visit site
Crushed in a spoon full of yoghurt used to work for mine You could also try cream cheese. It’s sometimes better for them to think it’s something you are going to eat then they don’t get suspicious.

Last edited:

Clodagh

Visit site
Crushed in a spoon full of yoghurt used to work for mine You could also try cream cheese.

I really doubt she would take it. If I go to Mums with my dogs and mum gets the treat tin out the collie has to take her treat, leave the room, examine it minutely and eat it. If she hasn't been mugged at that point! She will not take food from your hand.

I know I am being really negative, but over the years Mum has tried pretty much everything. Cats can have pills shot down their throat, I think, can you do that for dogs?

meleeka

Visit site
I really doubt she would take it. If I go to Mums with my dogs and mum gets the treat tin out the collie has to take her treat, leave the room, examine it minutely and eat it. If she hasn't been mugged at that point! She will not take food from your hand.

I know I am being really negative, but over the years Mum has tried pretty much everything. Cats can have pills shot down their throat, I think, can you do that for dogs?

It seems it’s sold for all pets
https://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Buster-..._dUq_J3DNUusVYfh7wDiDVd04JTUw3FBoC3W4QAvD_BwE

I dissolve my pony’s in a syringe of water which works well.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
I think it depends on the dog. When Aled had his stomach upset last year and refused to eat anything, we nearly lost a hand trying to force them into him.

He is taking his tramadol well in a small dob of Philadelphia at the moment, but looks like that won’t really work for your mums dog.

If she’s only dog, I think I’d try just mixing it really well into her usual food and leave it down for a bit and see what happens.

druid

Visit site
If she's that bad about pills it may be worth asking if they can give you the meds in any other form - even injectable?

{97702}

Visit site
Take pill, push down dogs throat and stroke throat to encourage swallowing - it has never failed for me in many many years.

If the dog attempts to be sick I wouldn't accept that - hold the muzzle shut and hold it up, prevents attempts at vomiting

I am never harsh or unkind to my dogs, but I won't accept rubbish from them either :)

Sarah_K

Visit site
I had the same problem but with a cat. She had 4 pills a day and 2 were large. the only thing that worked was the "oops, clumsy me dropping several pieces of cheese/ham on the floor" method. Prepare 4 pieces of whatever, first 2 have nothing in them, third has the goodies, fourth has nothing. Nonchalantly drop them when making self cheese/ham sandwich.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Lévrier;13763537 said:
Take pill, push down dogs throat and stroke throat to encourage swallowing - it has never failed for me in many many years.

If the dog attempts to be sick I wouldn't accept that - hold the muzzle shut and hold it up, prevents attempts at vomiting

I am never harsh or unkind to my dogs, but I won't accept rubbish from them either :)

Oh gosh Levrier, my little munchkin would hate you! ;)
I’ve usually done that, popped the pill in and held/neck rubbed til they swallow, never had one that then threw it back up though
I do sympathise here, my little old terrier had a heart problem and needed several pills a day. He was quite ill and I didn’t want to force him and make him hate me as I knew his time was short, It was a nightmare and every time I thought I’d cracked it he’d start refusing again.

{97702}

Visit site
Oh gosh Levrier, my little munchkin would hate you! ;)
I’ve usually done that, popped the pill in and held/neck rubbed til they swallow, never had one that then threw it back up though
I do sympathise here, my little old terrier had a heart problem and needed several pills a day. He was quite ill and I didn’t want to force him and make him hate me as I knew his time was short, It was a nightmare and every time I thought I’d cracked it he’d start refusing again.

LOL! i understand what you are saying, it looks horrible when I put it like that :D Honestly my dogs don't hate me :eek: :)

missmatch

Visit site
Have you tried greenies pill pockets? Some dogs fall for them quite well.
I have a pill popper which I use on cats and dogs. It’s quick and painless. Saves any faffing around.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
My collie used to have the pill down back of throat, hold nose up and massage throat method. Worked well for her, she wouldn't just eat any medicine (my spaniels just eat anything I hand them without question :lol:). But she was very co-operative with handling... I'm not sure I would want to try it with a less tolerant dog at all.

CrazyMare

Visit site
If it's just a sub cut injection, can't the vets give it to you to do? I think I'd rather do that than have the battle of swallow the tablet. I realise that lots of people couldn't face doing injections though!

Aru

Visit site
Check if there is an liquid version or diasolvable in liquid one's and syringe it in.
I go with the tablets/medications are not optional method personally and wait it out....head up extended and stuck in sit for a few mins after if they will try and spew it up. Liquids are easier to give in cases where the dog will try and spew and also harder to spit out. Unless they are a biter the shove it in and wait til they swallow method works pretty well.

I wouldnt be trying to tempt a dog with pancreatitis with fatty foods. Plain boiled chicken is about the height of a mixer I'd be going for. Plus the disease often makes them feel awful when they want to eat (the pancreas produces digestive enzymes so it gets painful when the dogs eating thinking of eating because the organs inflammed)so it often doesnt encourage them to eat tidbits.

Tough love time.
Pill poppers are also an option but i find them a lot of faff personally unless the creatures trying to take my hand off.

Clodagh

Visit site
If it's just a sub cut injection, can't the vets give it to you to do? I think I'd rather do that than have the battle of swallow the tablet. I realise that lots of people couldn't face doing injections though!

I have asked mum, I hate injecting but my OH used to do my horses so a dog should be OK!

Clodagh

Visit site
My collie used to have the pill down back of throat, hold nose up and massage throat method. Worked well for her, she wouldn't just eat any medicine (my spaniels just eat anything I hand them without question :lol:). But she was very co-operative with handling... I'm not sure I would want to try it with a less tolerant dog at all.

The labs just eat whatever you chuck at them. When I had a kelpie it was the hold down, shove pill, stroke throat method. Mum can't do it though and the dog gets so distressed the vet said not to.

Clodagh

Visit site
Have you tried greenies pill pockets? Some dogs fall for them quite well.
I have a pill popper which I use on cats and dogs. It’s quick and painless. Saves any faffing around.

I'm going to try that. Thank you to everyone with recommendations.

Clodagh

Visit site
Check if there is an liquid version or diasolvable in liquid one's and syringe it in.
I go with the tablets/medications are not optional method personally and wait it out....head up extended and stuck in sit for a few mins after if they will try and spew it up. Liquids are easier to give in cases where the dog will try and spew and also harder to spit out. Unless they are a biter the shove it in and wait til they swallow method works pretty well.

I wouldnt be trying to tempt a dog with pancreatitis with fatty foods. Plain boiled chicken is about the height of a mixer I'd be going for. Plus the disease often makes them feel awful when they want to eat (the pancreas produces digestive enzymes so it gets painful when the dogs eating thinking of eating because the organs inflammed)so it often doesnt encourage them to eat tidbits.

Tough love time.
Pill poppers are also an option but i find them a lot of faff personally unless the creatures trying to take my hand off.

Thank you Aru. After what I have read on here I am amazed the vet hasn't said anything about fat in the diet, she hasn't mentioned it at all. It is not my vet's pratice, I don't like this lot, but I will try.

Clodagh

Visit site
**Head desk**
Mum had her second cataract done today so I went round to take the dog out and give her the pills. Did the old force and swallow manoeuvre, not too bad. For 'afters' the dog had spam with scrambled eggs cooked in butter. Why bother with the pills?