how to get started jumping affiliated

myprincess

Visit site
Hi i am interested in starting to jump affiliated i have only ever competed locally unaffialiated but not impressed with the surfaces and the way these events are run. I have been looking on BSJA website and I'm so confused by it all, I would be looking to start out at 80-90cm. Can anyone dumb it down for me? im 25 btw

Shay

Visit site
Many affiliated venues also run unaffiliated events which might be an option to try out the venues? Otherwise it is often best to start off on a day ticket to see what you think. To register both you and your horse for a year will cost just over £200 so you want to be sure this is what you want! You can get a day ticket on the day at the venue or from the BS website in advance. You have to pay the class entry fee as well as the affiliation - which does put the costs up a bit!

First step I suppose - find a venue and get the schedule. Check there is a class at a height you are happy with; most classes the lowest height for seniors is 90cms. Usually classes are split as restricted and open. If your horse hasn't jumped affiliated before they will class as a Grade C and be eligible for classes restricted to C, or a class marked Novice as well as any class marked Open. If your horse already has points you'll need to find out how many - that gets complex so I'll assume he doesn't or this will be an essay!

You won't be eligible for any classes marked second round, anything restricted by the age of horse (unless you have a youngster) or anything marked as Grade B or A only.

Hope this helps. The Staff at BS are quite approachable if you ring them - but the website is a bit of a maze!